BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #23
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Meh. Not worth arguing about. People who want to go faster with minimal effort and input will love electric cars. Those who actually enjoy driving will keep our slow, inefficient, and infinitely more engaging ICE automobiles alive as long as it's feasible.
Dinosaur juice and left foot exercize for life !
      05-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #24
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

I actually fall on both sides of the manual argument. I enjoy shifting on the street, it's more fun and challenging and keeps me focused on driving. Even my Mazda3 is a 6 speed. I've never driven an automatic on track before but I'd like to see how it is. Not a true automatic - I still want to choose which gear I want to be in - but almost all modern automatics have that option, most with paddle-shifters. There are many times when I'm trying to work on finding the right line and not having to shift would let me focus a little better. I have a long way to go before I can claim to have Senna skills! Working on one thing at a time would be nice.

My troubles with heel-toeing are compounded by the fact that my brake pedal is too low or too far away from the gas pedal when I'm braking at the track. I would like to find a solution to raise the brake pedal or extend the gas pedal's width. On the street, I don't use the brakes that often so I don't heel-toe anyway.

This never even crossed my mind on a bike, maybe because there is no option but manual. But on a bike, the controls are laid out in such a way that it's easier to rev match.
Appreciate 2
duder13767.00
sixburgh198.00
      05-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #25
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
I actually fall on both sides of the manual argument. I enjoy shifting on the street, it's more fun and challenging and keeps me focused on driving. Even my Mazda3 is a 6 speed. I've never driven an automatic on track before but I'd like to see how it is. Not a true automatic - I still want to choose which gear I want to be in - but almost all modern automatics have that option, most with paddle-shifters. There are many times when I'm trying to work on finding the right line and not having to shift would let me focus a little better. I have a long way to go before I can claim to have Senna skills! Working on one thing at a time would be nice.

My troubles with heel-toeing are compounded by the fact that my brake pedal is too low or too far away from the gas pedal when I'm braking at the track. I would like to find a solution to raise the brake pedal or extend the gas pedal's width. On the street, I don't use the brakes that often so I don't heel-toe anyway.

This never even crossed my mind on a bike, maybe because there is no option but manual. But on a bike, the controls are laid out in such a way that it's easier to rev match.
The spacing of the E82’s pedals isn’t bad compared to other cars I’ve driven. It’s probably just a matter of getting more angle on your foot. You might try practicing on the street for a while. To stay sharp, I pretty much heel/toe every time I even slow down a little to shift. lol
Appreciate 0