BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
JCip91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 135 DCT

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Joe's 135 TiAg Build Thread - Phil

Hey guys I would like you to meet Phil. He is a Titanium Silver 2012 135 with the DCT. I got him after my previous BMW was wrecked. I did not originally want silver as a color or dual clutch as a transmission but at the time all I could find were autos so given the circumstance of my fiance not knowing manual and the rental car contract running out I had to get something. Overall I think the dual clutch is pretty great. I read some things here about it getting jerky after putting on a JB4 and what I have found out is if you drive the car like a manual it really smooths out the ride. Best way I can describe it unfortunately lol

I am making this thread for myself so I maybe be more active in the forums. And I have not seen too many silver build threads but I haven't really looked too hard haha

Also since I am getting married at the end of the year and revamping my father's business this will be a budget-ish build for the most part. I will do my best to put on quality parts but I can't make promises lol. And I am bad at pictures so sorry in advance...and now on to the show.

Here he is at the dealer and when I took her home to my college apartment. I bought the car from the VW/Audi dealer in Hollidaysburg, PA. The salesman was a great guy and the transaction went smoothly even without the check from my previous car.

Specs: Titanium Silver Metallic, 7-speed DCT
  • Black Boston Leather w/ Glacier Silver Aluminum Trim
  • Premium Package 2

The first thing I did was intake ramps. Not really sure if they do anything or not but I was bored and couldn't afford anything real for the car yet. Here are the first version (right) and the current (left).

Next would be some ECS brand gloss black grills. They are different as they are two-piece. They still feel good and can be removed and reinstalled a few times with no problems. Intake ramps painted gloss black to match.

I experimented with the M3 striped but I did not like how they turned out. Ended up removing them shortly after this photo was taken. Just noticed that the right grill was not pushed in all the way...oops

The first real performance part is a BMS intake. Love how it is cheap, simple and, retains the bottom of the intake box to act as a heat shield. And the sound... Excellent packaging too.

Last edited by JCip91; 02-08-2016 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Hi and welcome. Car's looking good.

And just don't mod for the sake of modding.
      02-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Welcome to 1ADDICTS!
      02-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
JCip91
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Hi and welcome. Car's looking good.

And just don't mod for the sake of modding.
Thank you! No worries, I have a purpose for the modding
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
JCip91
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
To continue I did purchase and install a JB4 but do not have any pictures. I have in a rush and did not have any time. The install did go smoothly though.

I did upgrade the charge pipe to a VRSF one. I am iffy on this one. I do like how steady the bend is but the fit and finish does not sit well with me. I will write a review and post it here.

I did have some problems at first with the JB4. I was experimenting with map 8 and went to switch to another map while I was driving. Well CEL came on with the half engine light so turned it off and back on again. No biggy. Then I realized the car was not holding boost, could not get more than 8 or 10 pounds. Took it to a friend's house and we pulled it off and cleaned the CAN wires and that did the trick.

And my buddies 1er. A 2011 135i 6-speed.

I was not a fan of the black on silver interior so I bought some 3M CF wrap to fix it. This was the first mod that was done at home...everything else was done in the parking lot of the apartment complex I lived at during college My father was fascinated on how this whole wrapping thing went. He couldn't get how the wrap shrunk with heat and how pliable it becomes. He gave it a shot and ended up being good at it. Here is the final result. Can't even feel the bumps through the wrap either.

My buddy convinced me to get a muffler delete on the e46 and I loved it so why not carry over the tradition to the e82? The tips I purchased for the delete are the ECS 3.5 inch gloss black tips and they are great quality. Very solid.

With the tips installed. They fill the space pretty well. I will get a better shot eventually to show it more. The only problem is one pipe flows better and is much darker than the other. I might stuff a sock in it to darken up the other so it matches

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:29 PM   #6
JCip91
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
The first suspension mod that was done is the 1M strut bar. This was a gift so why not give it a shot. I was not in the car long enough to get a good feel for a before and after review but it does seem to turn in a little better. I wanted it mainly for the ease of adjusting coilovers in the future.

All did not go smoothly though. I found out the hard way on how much power I need to get up my driveway when it snows. I have a short but steep driveway so I need to get a head start to get up it. Well picked up too much speed and took out the retaining wall around the driveway. Phil walked away with a bent rim, a cut tire and, a weird flapping/thudding during hard braking and hard acceleration. I still do not know what that noise is.

Here is the wall

And how far the car fell. Probably around a 18 inch drop.

Other than the noise the car performs fine. You can see how little snow was on the ground. This was taken the morning after.

When I got the jb4 I did not get the USB cable. Ended up getting it a few months later. Here is how the cable was routed. Instead of taking out the computer I just fished the cable around the top and down. Very easy.

That is all I have done to the car for now. I have more parts coming so I will keep this thread updated. If You guys have any questions let me know
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 11:24 PM   #7
fatarayyy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Smg 135i '10

Ouch to that wall.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Nice car! You're off to a good start! Whats next?
      03-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #9
JCip91
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Recently installed an eBay replica spoiler. The thing is pretty close to the original or so I have been told...The weave is excellent and tight. 10/10 for 130 bucks. I have not had a chance to take better pictures of the lip. I apologize in advance.

How the back end sits now. Carbon fiber diffuser is on the list for the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
schmidtp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2019 Ram 1500  [0.00]
Look great! Need to get me one of the performance spoilers. Think I might go TiAg color matched.

If you are feeling adventurous you should do the diffusor mod.
      03-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #11
JCip91
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtp View Post
Look great! Need to get me one of the performance spoilers. Think I might go TiAg color matched.

If you are feeling adventurous you should do the diffusor mod.
Here is the link for the one I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181735774360...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Is the diffuser mod were you paint it gloss black and cut the center part out? I would like to paint it but it got stretched up when I hit the wall...
Appreciate 0