BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
Gambeez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport

Exhaust options for 128i

I just purchased a 128i a few months ago. I'm well happy with the car although I wish it could be a little louder.

I've been doing some researching since I purchased it, however, from looking around online it seems like a lot of the companies out there that did manufacture parts for the 1 series no longer do. I.e. BMW PE, Supersprint, AA, etc.

I was going to go with the AA axleback, saw it for 500 online. However, now I cannot even find that!

So now I'm back to considering doing deletes, which I did not want to do. What are my options? From what I have read doing secondary cats and a muffler delete are good options? I've also seen people toss out there to grab a 135i muffler, but I cannot find those anywhere either.

Thanks for anyone who can chime in!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Huh i guess ive had my PE so long never noticed.
Here's super spring: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-superspr...uffler/985806/

Magnaflow makes a full catback: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-magnaflo...-system/16525/

Id also look at the For sale section on the forums.
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I will be in the same boat soon. My 128i currently has a muffler delete that was done by the previous owner.

It sounds okay with everything else the same, and I think it's supposed to save you close to 40lbs in weight by removing it.

However I will be installing AA catless headers soon, and I think it will be too loud.

I plan to keep the secondary cats and stock resonator, but pretty sure I'm going to have to add a muffler back in......preferably something that will bolt up to the stock resonator and not be too involved.

I'm looking for something that has a small amount of bite, but definitely don't want a "ricey/fart-can" sound.

I've been listening to every clip I can find....Magnaflow, AA, even the stock 128i muffler put back on.

With my E46, there were more options such as Eiseman (I think it's spelled that way), and one called GTHaus I believe.

I'm not looking for something like Akrapovic, but I am not adverse to spending a little more cash for something that sounds good, weighs less than the stock muffler, etc......as it is my daily driver and I will be in the car quite often. If I want loud, I have another car for that. Plus most systems I've heard sound like they're trying to replicate a V8 sound and isn't appropriate for this car.

I want a European exotic sound, but just toned down a little. One of my previous Corvettes had a Borla Stinger, but I was able to get a Borla touring model which sounded the same, just at half the volume.

Also I remember having an E46 M3 that the previous owner had installed a Billy Boat system. I didn't think I would like it until I heard it in person, but it sounded decent.

If you find anything you like, please share. Exhausts are so subjective when it comes to personal opinion!
      04-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
Gambeez
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I will be in the same boat soon. My 128i currently has a muffler delete that was done by the previous owner.

It sounds okay with everything else the same, and I think it's supposed to save you close to 40lbs in weight by removing it.

However I will be installing AA catless headers soon, and I think it will be too loud.

I plan to keep the secondary cats and stock resonator, but pretty sure I'm going to have to add a muffler back in......preferably something that will bolt up to the stock resonator and not be too involved.

I'm looking for something that has a small amount of bite, but definitely don't want a "ricey/fart-can" sound.

I've been listening to every clip I can find....Magnaflow, AA, even the stock 128i muffler put back on.

With my E46, there were more options such as Eiseman (I think it's spelled that way), and one called GTHaus I believe.

I'm not looking for something like Akrapovic, but I am not adverse to spending a little more cash for something that sounds good, weighs less than the stock muffler, etc......as it is my daily driver and I will be in the car quite often. If I want loud, I have another car for that. Plus most systems I've heard sound like they're trying to replicate a V8 sound and isn't appropriate for this car.

I want a European exotic sound, but just toned down a little. One of my previous Corvettes had a Borla Stinger, but I was able to get a Borla touring model which sounded the same, just at half the volume.

Also I remember having an E46 M3 that the previous owner had installed a Billy Boat system. I didn't think I would like it until I heard it in person, but it sounded decent.

If you find anything you like, please share. Exhausts are so subjective when it comes to personal opinion!
Out of curiosity, how do you like the muffler delete as far as sound goes?

It's hard to tell from this video, but it doesn't seem too ricey. Maybe a little bit but I'm going to say it's due to low quality audio distortion. Really makes it hard to tell.

Also, maybe consider getting the 135i Berk Tech muffler. It's reasonably priced and has a nice mild tone to it. One of the more milder yet pronounced one's I've come across. It's a possibility for me right now outside of doing a muffler and secondary cat delete.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
whatsonot
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Coupe

i have a 128i and i have deleted my muffler. It sounds pretty good and doesnt cost much. Theres some drone on freeway and its pretty loud with a cold start. Its fairly easy to control the noise if you dont mash the 'go' pedal. if you put it in sport mode and hit the higher revs there's some nice crackles and pops. When not in sport mode theres not much cracks or pops but it still growls.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #6
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambeez View Post

It's hard to tell from this video, but it doesn't seem too ricey. Maybe a little bit but I'm going to say it's due to low quality audio distortion. Really makes it hard to tell.

Also, maybe consider getting the 135i Berk Tech muffler. It's reasonably priced and has a nice mild tone to it. One of the more milder yet pronounced one's I've come across. It's a possibility for me right now outside of doing a muffler and secondary cat delete.
it was loud as fuck my guy

sounded great tho
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 05:51 AM   #7
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

With everything else stock....it actually sounds pretty good. I have compliments on it from friends who are car guys..and they are die hard American Muscle fans.

But with the headers....I don't think it will be the same. I mean I plan to install them and see, but I do want a back-up system already picked out in case I can't deal with it that I can get pretty quickly!
      04-29-2019, 05:54 AM   #8
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post

sounded great tho
Are you referring to the delete by itself....or other mods as well?

My delete sounds pretty good, but everything else is stock at the moment. But I'm right at that threshold of it being as loud as I want to go and I know the headers will skew all of that.
      04-29-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Quote:
Quote:

For the Berk exhaust, is there a real difference between the allowed 08-12 models and my 2013 128i. I want to pull the trigger but I don't want to risk returning it or being stuck with a useless exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Are you referring to the delete by itself....or other mods as well?

My delete sounds pretty good, but everything else is stock at the moment. But I'm right at that threshold of it being as loud as I want to go and I know the headers will skew all of that.
Headers + muffler delete.

Just the muffler delete on its own sounds great and has a very appropriate volume. Almost don't hear it at all on the highway.

Headers + delete is obnoxious.

Wow this video is old lol

Last edited by desertman123; 04-29-2019 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
Blau364.00
      04-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Headers + muffler delete.

Just the muffler delete on its own sounds great and has a very appropriate volume. Almost don't hear it at all on the highway.

Headers + delete is obnoxious.

Wow this video is old lol

Yeah...I agree. If it sounded like that with headers...I would be a happy guy!
      04-29-2019, 08:12 PM   #12
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

I know they are no longer in production, but the BMW Performance Exhaust for the 128i is awesome. There's a nice little burble on overrun. It has great tone when you punch it in a tunnel. It is barely noticeable on the highway. I leave for work at 4:00am, and my neighbors haven't said anything. There is no performance advantage to it that I can feel. I'm glad I got mine when I did! Fitment is perfect. It lines up squarely in the middle of the rear valance cutout.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:52 AM   #13
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

sounded great tho
desertman123

When you did your header install....did you replace the gasket at the "merge" or "Y" where it goes into your secondary cats?

I know my headers came with Manifold Gaskets, but can't remember if it came with the other gasket. If not, I assume I can order from any supplier once I look up the part number.

I plan to do this soon and get it knocked out, but wanted to make sure I have everything I need.

After that....all I have left to do is Milvs!

Thanks!
      04-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #14
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
desertman123

When you did your header install....did you replace the gasket at the "merge" or "Y" where it goes into your secondary cats?

I know my headers came with Manifold Gaskets, but can't remember if it came with the other gasket. If not, I assume I can order from any supplier once I look up the part number.

I plan to do this soon and get it knocked out, but wanted to make sure I have everything I need.

After that....all I have left to do is Milvs!

Thanks!
No I only replaced the 6 gaskets for the cylinder head and the 2 gaskets where the headers meet the midpipe.

I used all brand new nuts too, and had a handful of studs on deck. I didn't need any studs but I'm in Florida so nothing was rusty.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #15
Gambeez
Private
Rep

Quote:

sounded great tho
Is it so loud it will piss off my neighbors? I live in an apartment complex with community parking?

If I were to be light on the gas leaving in the morning it won't wake up the neighborhood?

And you speak in past tense, did you get rid of it and put back on the stock muffler or go with an alternative?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #16
Gambeez
Private
Rep

Quote:
With everything else stock....it actually sounds pretty good. I have compliments on it from friends who are car guys..and they are die hard American Muscle fans.

But with the headers....I don't think it will be the same. I mean I plan to install them and see, but I do want a back-up system already picked out in case I can't deal with it that I can get pretty quickly!
Good to know, I've read around and watched plenty of YouTube videos. Never seemed to sound very ricey at all. Sounded very similar to a PE exhaust, maybe a little deeper.

Also, maybe do a Magnaflow. Those are probably some of the tamest sounding aftermarkets I've heard on a 1er. Believe I came across a clip of a guy running AA headers with a MF exhaust. Almost sounded too tame.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #17
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Is it so loud it will piss off my neighbors? I live in an apartment complex with community parking?

If I were to be light on the gas leaving in the morning it won't wake up the neighborhood?

And you speak in past tense, did you get rid of it and put back on the stock muffler or go with an alternative?

Thanks.
Cold starts will annoy your neighbors but once it settles down it's not an issue. You will be heard but it's not as loud and obnoxious as I described. It is certainly very loud, but I still have my resonator so it was at least 'loud and tame'.

Yeah I have since added a vibrant resonator to try and quiet it down a little (but not a lot, since it sounds great).

Right now I have
- AA headers
- Muffler delete
- Small vibrant bottle resonator where the muffler went

I would not recommend this setup, it drones bad at 2-2.5k.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:54 PM   #18
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No I only replaced the 6 gaskets for the cylinder head and the 2 gaskets where the headers meet the midpipe.

I used all brand new nuts too, and had a handful of studs on deck. I didn't need any studs but I'm in Florida so nothing was rusty.

I've got the 6 gaskets for the cylinder head and new nuts. They came with the kit.

So I just need to pick up the 2 gaskets for the mid-pipe and some backup studs although I'm in a Southern State. But best to have insurance.

I will probably do it and see what it sounds like, then just pull the trigger on a Magnaflow setup if I can't deal with it. I plan to leave my secondaries in, and I think Magnaflow replaces the resonator.

Hope the headers feel every bit as good of a step up as the 3SI did!
      05-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #19
printerror
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i 6MT

Curious as to why seemingly nobody has used a Borla on these yet. I've put them on a few of my cars now and I figure the 128i would sound great with one. Plus they're crazy cheap at under a hundred bucks (Summit Racing). I figure I'll weld it in where the old one was and just use the factory tips for stealth.

Anyone else used a Borla on a x28i? Not a lot of them on YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #20
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerror View Post
Curious as to why seemingly nobody has used a Borla on these yet. I've put them on a few of my cars now and I figure the 128i would sound great with one. Plus they're crazy cheap at under a hundred bucks (Summit Racing). I figure I'll weld it in where the old one was and just use the factory tips for stealth.

I've had Borla on a lot of other cars and they sounded nice. There isn't much on YouTube of anything aside from Magnaflow or deletes.

Looking at direct bolt ons, all I see are Magnaflow and this other one called GTHAUS E82 128 EXHAUST SYSTEM.....but that one is $1300 for a setup that bolts to your stock resonator.

Crazy cost, but I wish they had an exhaust clip just to hear what it sounds like!
      05-04-2019, 12:56 PM   #21
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerror View Post

Direction towards the borla exhausts? I'm intrigued now
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #22
smeard
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I ran catless eBay headers into full straight pipe and jesus too loud. Ended up picking up a free Flowmaster 40 from a buddy, quieted things down but it still has obnoxious rasp. I will post the fly by of full straight pipe on YouTube sometime, if I were you go with a good brand header and a decent catback like magnaflow. My setup was cheap but doesn't have that throaty BMW sound, more raspy and racey which isn't that good for a daily.
Weekend - 1997 BMW Z3 M52, 5spd, Dunkelgrun: 230k mi, Intrax Springs on Bilsteins, Style 68s staggered
AutoX/track - 2012 F30 N20, 6MT BSM
Appreciate 0