BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #45
3k1n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Sti

I had the same issue and had to replace my third brake light but after replacing it still wasn't working. Does anyone know if the third brake light has a separate fuse from the other brake lights? As of right now all of the other brake light works. Just trying identify what the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 02:53 AM   #46
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3k1n View Post
I had the same issue and had to replace my third brake light but after replacing it still wasn't working. Does anyone know if the third brake light has a separate fuse from the other brake lights? As of right now all of the other brake light works. Just trying identify what the issue is.
No fuse that I know of(you could check for codes in the footwell module though that controls all the lights), but maybe ask a tech at your local dealer. I would suspect a broken wire that runs at the base of the trunk hinge.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #47
Rockstar1487
Tarnished One
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3k1n View Post
It needs to be reset through the ecu. I had this on my 3rd replacement I did. I brought it to the dealer and they said they had to reset it. After that, never had an issue again. Was running 2.5 yrs on the last replacement zero issues after the dealer did the reset for me.

Retired: 05 MB 330i, 08 CS 135i, 17 EB M240i, 13 CB 135is, 16 ABM M4
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      04-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #48
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #49
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

I've not posted in ages. Most posts like most of us, when we first got the car 10 years ago. I am like most here, having to replace things including the 3rd brake light. I am wondering about the parts. I went with ECS Tuning and had two choices. I also got the nuts and springs only to see they were exactly the same as the old ones; 10 bucks wasted. I have 2 questions and I don't care what the 'instructions' say... because to torque this with a ratchet is just plane dumb in my opinion.

1. If there is a spring, would it not mean it's the spring that holds the light in place? Therefore there should be some space and the spring itself is holding the light there? (vs tightening so much that the spring is doing zero, and it's all bolted in, which is how the factory had done it, but maybe why it cracked?). I've tightened mine all the way, but only tight finger tight.

2. I see 2 brands - at ECS

A. Genuine BMW - ES#: 207352 Mfg#: 63257164978
B. Dorman - ES#: 3190251 Mfg#: 923-231

I've seen Dorman as cheap as $55.00 CAD but they were out of stock (where it was that cheap). And in the end, I really did not want a crappy light, and took my mechanic's advice, and went with the expensive one... But now wondering who has tried the cheaper brand and what it looks like. Maybe mine will crack again?

Those of you wondering how to do this... it's super easy. I used some plastic twine to pull the tabs out, and it was no issues at all. I used a diamond knife sharpener to grind off my metal tab (bmw 135i 08) and touched it up with some rust paint. I also used some silicone grease around the seal to get it water tight, but only a tiny bit.

I took some pics but it's not necessary to post them as these here are awesome. I think a little common sense works wonders... plastic parts = don't over force, don't over tighten.

Let me know about Dorman vs BMW replacement.

Last edited by EspressoBoy; 10-23-2018 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #50
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post

Let me know about Dorman vs BMW replacement.
I've been running with the Dorman replacement.

My particular one doesn't fit too well. The whole light sits out like 1-2mm. But it hasn't broken (in like 6 months), while one of my genuine replacements broke after about a month.

Works fine, looks good, but does have minor fitment issues. I have a genuine light laying around too.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #51
gofast09
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 323i, 135i

After reading the thread for some insight, I started on this project for my 09 135i. The lens was chipped on one side and after viewing this thread figured it would be a 15 minute job. Just got finished, an hour and a half, removal and installation of an aftermarket 3rd light. First thing, one of the pins of the light was evidently corroded, as it broke off inside the pin. No way to get it out so will look for a new/salvage connector. After removing the 8mm nuts and springs, the light was tightly wedged into the trunk, resulted in me having to cut it out in 3 sections! The new part was REAL tight to install. I did grind down the metal tab on the hood and slightly ground the entire light opening. I used a piece of paper as a guage (between light and trunk) so that I would not take off too much material. Ended up using the dremel tool to take off a 2 inch swath of white plastic up close to the red lens. It resulted in a tight fit and no water is going to get in. I guess Murphys Law is alive and well.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #52
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I don't like grinding metal on any car for no reason:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...0&postcount=43

Quote:
I had to replace this light on my wife's "new" 2008 128i and did not want to grind away the tab on the trunk lid or the new light. I work at a BMW dealer and even my price on the OE part was absurd.

After a bit of research, I found a replacement on Amazon for $50 with the opening for the tab made into the light: Brock Third Brake Light

I ordered the new springs from the TSB from my dealership, just to be prepared, and installed the new light with no issues. The new springs are shorter in their relaxed state.

You can't tell the Taiwan-made replacement from the OE in any way I could see, other than color of the seal, and there's no reason why this one won't work for all years without modification. It fit fine and looks perfect, lit and unlit.

The OE is the one on the right (below) with the lens falling out!

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #53
NavyChief
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Msport

I ended up destroying a 3rd rear like yours trying to get it in. Did everything to the light assembly trying to get it to fit but due to that tab on the BMW trunk cutout ( I didn't want to file it down) I just ended up buying the correct light on ebay for like $80 vice the $40 for the wrong one. Plus the $40 one didn't come with sealant around the assembly to keep the water out of the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #54
sburkeatqmi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue135 View Post
Light came in this afternoon. Five minutes into removal, i could see this was going to be a 10 minute job. Then i discovered there was no tension on any of the bolts, meaning the lens was no longer connected to the light. However, the lens was now attached to the lid by the gasket. Took 40 minutes and considerable care not to scratch lid to get old gasket off. But now it works well.

Curiously, i have a 3/08 build and it does not look like the lid had the tab. Again, thanks for the DIY.
I have the same year & month build date. I've already purchased a new blacked out light but I've been waiting to read a DIY post like this before I install it. Hopefully I don't have the tab either but if I do I'll alter the light. I'll update when I do the job as to whether I have a tab or not. Thanks for the input!
      06-10-2021, 01:30 AM   #55
justinzhng
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW  [0.00]
pretty simple install but a pain if the new lights have the notch and your trunk lid doesn't have a cut out
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 11:33 AM   #56
Maurtis
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

I replaced the third brake light in our 2008 135i convertible a couple days ago. After reading about having to file the tab and reading the Dorman reviews on Amazon, I figured I would see if I could find a model with the old notched design.

I found this one at carparts.com showed the notch in the pictures: https://www.carparts.com/third-brake...ent/rb73330001

The install went smoothly and no filing or grinding of the vehicle or the light.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 11:41 AM   #57
Dan hughes
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 125i e88

Does anyone know the part number for the electrical connector coming off the car that plugs into the 3rd brake light? I've replaced my light but my connector is broken so need to find a way of fixing it?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 07:44 PM   #58
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan hughes View Post
Does anyone know the part number for the electrical connector coming off the car that plugs into the 3rd brake light? I've replaced my light but my connector is broken so need to find a way of fixing it?
What kind of broken are we talking about.
      11-19-2023, 12:08 PM   #59
Dan hughes
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 125i e88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
What kind of broken are we talking about.
Completely unfortunately it just crumbled now won't clip in.
I could try and tape it together possibly with insulation tape but would prefer to replace the original clip if possible
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 07:23 PM   #60
ramo.ash
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Third brake light not working after replacing

Hello everyone, today I replaced my old original broken third brake light with the Dorman replacement. I have a 2013 135i which does not require any modification to the replacement part or grinding off a metal tab as it’s a late model and doesn’t have any tabs.

After replacing the brake light, it did not turn on when pressing the brake pedal, so I had to reopen the trunk liner and remove the light to make sure it’s connected properly (and it was). I tried putting back the original brake light to check if that one works, and it didn’t.

Any idea what the problem could be? I’m pretty sure it was working before I started the replacement job.

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 08:35 AM   #61
19Neil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M Sport, '91 325i

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramo.ash View Post

After replacing the brake light, it did not turn on when pressing the brake pedal, so I had to reopen the trunk liner and remove the light to make sure it’s connected properly (and it was). I tried putting back the original brake light to check if that one works, and it didn’t.

Any idea what the problem could be? I’m pretty sure it was working before I started the replacement job.
There was a post above syggesting the need to have the dealer do some kind of reset to recognize the light. I'll be doing mine soon on my 2013 so will see if the same thing happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 01:55 PM   #62
cerealwars
Riffraff
Rep
Drives: 128i 6M, 1UZ S13, '62 C10

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan hughes View Post
Completely unfortunately it just crumbled now won't clip in.
I could try and tape it together possibly with insulation tape but would prefer to replace the original clip if possible
Multiple options depending on skill level, parts availability, and how much you give a damn.

1. (Most skill required) Go to a junkyard and snip the last few inches of the harness off of another e82. I'm not sure, but one off an e90 may be the same.

Alternatively, search eBay or FB marketplace.

De-pin and re-pin the connector with your fresh one. You'll need to buy or make a pick tool to do this.

2. (Easier) Buy a three pin connector and splice it in.

3. (Easiest) Skip the connector and splice the whole thing together (weatherproof butt connectors + heat shrink). Definitely a little hokey, but how often are you removing your third brake light?
Appreciate 0