BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Cool Future Turbo Systems

Just curious to see what you guys are expecting/hoping to see in future turbo related products for the N54. Maybe we could make a list and if there is enough intrest a company such as AMS or Boost Logic will pick up on it and begin developing products for our cars if they aren't already. I know AMS and a few other companys are producing upgraded twins but I personally would like to see a single turbo manifold with a medium-sized billet turbo, external wastegate with seperate dump tube (aka screamer pipe) and non-reduced exhaust piping from the turbine to the muffler.

What do you guys think? Sure it would be slightly laggy, maybe full spool by 3000-3500 rpm, but high rpm power would be phenomenal!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

does billet make a twin scroll? If we do, then we can get that center exit exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
does billet make a twin scroll? If we do, then we can get that center exit exhaust.
Not sure what you are saying, and I'm sure we can find a company to source a twin-scroll, billet compressor wheel turbo.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

AMS or anyone else, any thoughts on this? This platform has huge potential I think, it's kind of like a German MK4 Supra! Not iron block, I know, but with the right hardware and tuning I think we can get some really nice numbers with stock internals.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

search on e90 post and n54 tech...you will see what is and will be developed. AMS and HPF are currently working on single turbo conversions. The hold up is the fuel delivery and a stand alone engine management to support it
      08-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
stand alone engine management to support it
this phrase and "daily driver" are not often used in the same sentence. you guys can have your 5-6 hundred HP cars that break down and act weird every time you get a bad batch of gas.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
I'm not sure I am understanding your point on the exhaust... The turbos have nothing to do with it, its the exhaust tunnel location that prevents center exhuast.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimmelnojerz View Post
this phrase and "daily driver" are not often used in the same sentence. you guys can have your 5-6 hundred HP cars that break down and act weird every time you get a bad batch of gas.
??? I see what you're saying...but that is a pretty general statement. you can have that much power in a dd and not have problems all the time. Are you saying you personally don't want to risk it with your car?
      08-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

i was just thinking in the line of twin scroll = single dual exit exhaust (i guess also dual single as well lol, just my train of thought, nothing factual.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

Quote:
you can have that much power in a dd and not have problems all the time
QFT.

Bugatti Veyron: 1000hp and drivable to and from work every day.
ZR1, Viper, F60, Gallardo: All 500+hp and drivable to and from work every day with a warranty to boot. And the list could go on.

Guns dont kill people and horsepower does not break cars.
Stupid people do.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedballTrix View Post
QFT.

Bugatti Veyron: 1000hp and drivable to and from work every day.
ZR1, Viper, F60, Gallardo: All 500+hp and drivable to and from work every day with a warranty to boot. And the list could go on.

Stupid people do.
Those are purpose-built vehicles from the manufacturer. Not vehicles with extensive engine mods that are far from stock. Let alone with a stand-alone ECU that does not interact with the rest of the car like the manufacturer intended.
      08-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
Those are purpose-built vehicles from the manufacturer. Not vehicles with extensive engine mods that are far from stock. Let alone with a stand-alone ECU that does not interact with the rest of the car like the manufacturer intended.
very true...however, most who build "purpose built" cars A) know what they're getting into or B) can afford not to care.
      08-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
very true...however, most who build "purpose built" cars A) know what they're getting into or B) can afford not to care.
I was just pointing out the fact that he was posting up vehicles made by the manufacturer when we are clearly talking about highly-modifying our 135s here.
      08-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^you're right, we agree. But there are still plenty of highly modified cars that are daily drivable...so it's not good to make a statement like this "you guys can have your 5-6 hundred HP cars that break down and act weird every time you get a bad batch of gas."
      08-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
^you're right, we agree. But there are still plenty of highly modified cars that are daily drivable...so it's not good to make a statement like this "you guys can have your 5-6 hundred HP cars that break down and act weird every time you get a bad batch of gas."
I hear you there. We should be able to reach 500HP with a single/dual-turbo setup but without a stand alone ECU.

Oh wait....

Cough... ASR... Cough.
      08-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
As I said: stupid people break cars, not horsepower.
Nor replaced turbos, nor stand alone ECUs.

With an intelligent person doing the modifying there is absolutely no reason that a vehicle with a standalone ECU running an aftermarket turbo kit and fuel system has to be any less reliable than the factory vehicle.
In fact there are plenty of examples throughout the community of people doing precisely that and never breaking anything on the car.

You can take a 100% bone stock car and break it if you are stupid about it and so can an intelligent person take a car and modify the hell out of it and never have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #17
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
As I said: stupid people break cars, not horsepower.
Nor replaced turbos, nor stand alone ECUs.

With an intelligent person doing the modifying there is absolutely no reason that a vehicle with a standalone ECU running an aftermarket turbo kit and fuel system has to be any less reliable than the factory vehicle.
In fact there are plenty of examples throughout the community of people doing precisely that and never breaking anything on the car.

You can take a 100% bone stock car and break it if you are stupid about it and so can an intelligent person take a car and modify the hell out of it and never have a problem.
If you read my posts above you will see all I was talking about was comparing a production vehicle to a modified 135.

Point your remarks about "intelligent people" to the people involved in that conversation about reliable "daily drivers".
      08-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #18
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
??? I see what you're saying...but that is a pretty general statement. you can have that much power in a dd and not have problems all the time. Are you saying you personally don't want to risk it with your car?
no not at all and i agree that high horsepower cars can be driven daily without a hiccup. i'm saying stand alone systems yield tempermental cars that turn owner's hair grey. if there were a off the shelf tune for the single turbo i would be more supportive but based alone on some of the general questions some users post here i would not trust them to brush their teeth without hurting themselves let alone monitor and operate a stand alone engine management system.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 12:46 AM   #19
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stupid people do.
thats my argument. i guess i didn't state it clearly enough. i think pitching a stand alone system to this particular market is super dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #20
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If you read my posts above you will see all I was talking about was comparing a production vehicle to a modified 135.
And if you read mine you'll see that I'm stating that there's no difference.
An intelligently modified 135 is the same thing as a produciton vehicle in the scope of the discussion, which is reliability if I understand correctly.

I wish I could prove it to you with my own car, but alas Im pretty much broke trying to save up for a house on Long Island, which is about a billion and half dollars =P
However, I point to any of the highly modified 135s you can read about on this very board. The Berk car, for example, is pretty well modified and they report no issues I'm aware of. Not even the overheating that some people seemed to be plagued with. J_Tyler himself has even stated (iirc) that when he put the car on the track with the stock intercooler he was expecting bad overheating like he had been hearing about but realized that with one cooldown lap every few hard ones he was worry free.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #21
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
And if you read mine you'll see that I'm stating that there's no difference.
An intelligently modified 135 is the same thing as a produciton vehicle in the scope of the discussion, which is reliability if I understand correctly.

I wish I could prove it to you with my own car, but alas Im pretty much broke trying to save up for a house on Long Island, which is about a billion and half dollars =P
However, I point to any of the highly modified 135s you can read about on this very board. The Berk car, for example, is pretty well modified and they report no issues I'm aware of. Not even the overheating that some people seemed to be plagued with. J_Tyler himself has even stated (iirc) that when he put the car on the track with the stock intercooler he was expecting bad overheating like he had been hearing about but realized that with one cooldown lap every few hard ones he was worry free.
Isn't rationalizing great?

A Modified 135i ≠ High-Powered Production Vehicles (as far as this thread goes)

Period.

Edit: BTW, Berks car is not a high-horsepower car with after-market turbos. Yes, they have custom tuning but most of their mods were done to make the car handle better so as to utilize it's power better.

Last edited by MadMan77; 08-28-2009 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #22
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Isn't rationalizing great?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rationalize
I think you were looking for http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/describe

Unless you were referring specifically to definition 4.
Then you get a thumbs up.

Quote:
A Modified 135i ≠ High-Powered Production Vehicles (as far as this thread goes)
And I am saying that it is. And neither of us is going to convince the other of his point. The difference is that two people in this thread agreed with me in my point that an intelligently modified vehicle is, for all intents and purposes save warranty issues (or the ability to race as an "all stock" car), precisely the same.
Specifically in the area of reliability you mentioned multiple times.

But as I said, neither of us is going to convince the other, so perhaps we should just stick the topic which is to speculate on the direction we would like to, or expect to, see future aftermarket turbo systems made for the n54.
Appreciate 0