BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2023, 06:34 AM   #1
ben m
Rep
Drives: None

Opinion on N52K valve cover replacement vs. PCV valve replacement.

Hi All, I was after opinions on replacing the valve cover vs the PCV cover on the N52K engine. I have read a few forum posts stating no problems with the cover replacement, but every video on YouTube has a follow up comment which seems to imply it didn't work and that they replaced the whole valve.

As it stands, the eccentric shaft sensor has a leak and the PCV is blown (hand tested with a vacuum pump), but the valve cover itself has no leaks from the gasket, valvetronic gasket or spark plug tube gaskets. No history of if/when the cover was last changed.

Is it worth just replacing the whole thing, or shall I just replace the eccentric shaft gasket and the PCV valve? Does anyone have positive experience with the value?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 05:27 PM   #2
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
My understanding is that the PCV valve is built into the N52 valve cover and not serviceable. The complete valve cover has to be replaced. Valve cover leakage is common in higher mileage cars and while some replace only the gasket, since the valve cover is plastic, warpage is common and the prevailing wisdom is to bite the bullet and replace the complete valve cover which then also gives you a new PCV. Can't say if this applies to older metal valve covers.
Appreciate 0