BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

brake questions

I have 15K miles on my 135i and I am planning to install cool carbon brake pads both front and rear. I have BMW performance cross drilled rotors. Do I need to buy 4 brake sensors or can i use the old ones? also my front performance rotors are old than the rear ones. does it make any difference?
Which is the best place to buy cool carbon and possible brake sensors? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sensors are only thru BMW most likely. There are only two(LF and RR). You might be able to reuse your old sensors. ?

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

kewl then. I don't have any brake lights on my dash board. I will just get the cool carbon brake pads then. I have dinan2 on mine. Fast accl in stop n go traffic and agressive driving is a pain with the bmw brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

+1 to Dackel's response.

There are only two sensors. You only need to change them if they become damaged. Actually, damaged sensors seems pretty common from what I've read/seen. They're like $15 or $20 each and usually always in stock at dealerships, though, so it's not a big deal. Sometimes they get damaged during the install or something. I've seen OEM ones at various online retailers, too, but I haven't seen any aftermarket sensors.

Rotors don't wear nearly as fast as the brake pads, so older front rotors shouldn't really matter.

The pads are $285 with free shipping from Bavarian Auto, and the same price from EAS (but not sure about the shipping).

If you're not sure about the sensors, you can probably get them pretty cheap if you just PM Dan@UnitedBMW here on the forum.

Also, how are you liking the performance rotors? I'm about to order some from Dan. I know they probably don't offer much of a performance benefit in everyday life, but I'm just curious what you think.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you. There are more for 1) weight savings 2) looks I have bought the front 2 for 100 a piece incl shipping in the good old days from Dan:-) Now I am wondering if I can buy just the rear two or all four. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
+1 to Dackel's response.

There are only two sensors. You only need to change them if they become damaged. Actually, damaged sensors seems pretty common from what I've read/seen. They're like $15 or $20 each and usually always in stock at dealerships, though, so it's not a big deal. Sometimes they get damaged during the install or something. I've seen OEM ones at various online retailers, too, but I haven't seen any aftermarket sensors.

Rotors don't wear nearly as fast as the brake pads, so older front rotors shouldn't really matter.

The pads are $285 with free shipping from Bavarian Auto, and the same price from EAS (but not sure about the shipping).

If you're not sure about the sensors, you can probably get them pretty cheap if you just PM Dan@UnitedBMW here on the forum.

Also, how are you liking the performance rotors? I'm about to order some from Dan. I know they probably don't offer much of a performance benefit in everyday life, but I'm just curious what you think.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Thank you. There are more for 1) weight savings 2) looks I have bought the front 2 for 100 a piece incl shipping in the good old days from Dan:-) Now I am wondering if I can buy just the rear two or all four. Any thoughts?
Yeah, i figured they were more for looks and weight saving I just like the cool look of it.

That's a REALLY great price. Now they're going for more than THREE times that cost. The front ones are about $360 and the rear $340 from United. If your sets aren't that old, I don't think I would personally switch them out if you already have both front and rear rotors. Like I said, rotors don't wear nearly as fast as brake pads. Really, the rotors shouldn't be wearing fast at all. I always heard replacing them every 2-3 brake pad changes or every 50-70K miles is fine. And then sometimes they only would need to be resurfaced and could go on for even longer.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0