11-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #111
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo135 View Post
The deal is not totally broken for me, but I'm heavily leaning towards a nice CPO e92 M3 now. There's zero doubt in my mind that the the 1M is going to be a great little car, and a hoot to drive, but it's just lacking some things I wanted/needed that my 135i doesn't have.

None of these things alone would be a deal breaker, but the combination of them has me looking elsewhere. The only thing that would save this for me is if it comes in at a great value, and I just don't think they will be anywhere south of $50,000 USD based on supply and demand. For that price, I just don't want another 1 series, that in my opinion, is only marginally more sorted than the 2008 I'm currently driving.

So, I made a matrix with weighted averages in order to decide what was really important to me at the end of the day. My conclusion was that the M3 was the better car for me (based on current knowledge of the 1M). We can debate which is the better car until we're blue in the face, but I think the M3 will be the better balance of sport and luxury with daily-driving comfort and performance when you need it. It's not without faults, but I think it tickles the senses more than the 1M will.

Why the M3 is better for me than the 1M
  • Design - The 1M looks like a boy racer, the M3 looks like a gentleman's racer. Both look good, but I give the edge to the M3.
  • The seats - disappointed by the standard seats and interior on the 1M. Be honest with yourself, the 1 series interior is weak sauce. I like spartan, but that's just bland. M3 is laid out much nicer and with better materials. Was hoping they'd make a few more changes to the interior, but stock 135 seats is a real bummer.
  • Aural pleasure -this is important to me in stock form. The M3 sounds like pure sex from inside or outside, both engine and exhaust. The 1M doesn't sound so great from what I can gather in the videos and testdrive feedback.
  • Throttle response - Sounds like M improved this on the 1M, but it's not going to be anywhere near that of the high-strung NA V8.
  • Available colors - enough said.
  • Carbon roof - icing on the cake. (German chocolate on white cake)
  • M3 cache > 1M Coupe - Every guy (and most women) know what an M3 is and the brand is well respected as BMW's halo car, their baby, the pinnacle in its segment.
I'm feeling a bit gloomy as I type this... jumping ship after following this 1M subforum since day 1 (and even before) has me feeling a bit deflated. I've wanted an M3 since the mid 90's e36 though, so maybe it was always going to be an M3 for me...

-
You summarise it pretty well and I echo your sentiments.

I am in the same boat but haven't made up my mind just yet.

I'm still 99% behind the 1M and will wait on official release before making any decisions.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #112
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Deal Braker:
N°1: M3 E92 is faster than M1 E82
N°2: No CF roof
N°3: No BMW Performance seats in M style

(Well anyway I unfortunatelly can not afford it now )

Some of you folks are crazy...

Ok.. by this utter lack of logic it should be a deal breaker to buy a Ford Fiesta if if is not faster than a Ford Mustang? I'm sorry... but I can't think of any reason that the 20K more pricey E92 with 2 more cylinders *shouldn't* be faster..

Primo... at least makes sense... There are some definite reasons I can see favoring an E92 M3 over the 1 series M.. but only if you don't ever plan to go to the track..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 11-23-2010 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 03:05 AM   #113
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

The only sensible reason I can see to chose an M3 (e92) over something similar in performance to an M346 is the DCT. That gearbox is so much fun to drive, it is unbelieveable! The SMG II was good, but the DCT is the drug for any high-tech junky. The M346 was nimbler, it used A LOT less gas and it was more of a drivers car. The M392 is a car an idiot can drive, provided all helpers stay engaged and a load of flashing lights accompany the ride. Turn off the helpers and kill yourself if you don't know what you're doing. The sheer mass of the car is difficult to handle once you get it sliding and that is the point, where the additional power does you no good whatsoever, but the weight seriously hurts.

If the 1Ms engine offers something close to the response the na straight six had and the rest of the car is not cluttered with junk, then the 1M would be my choice. The overall concept is that of a performance car. The M3s no longer is. It's a great machine to run at high speed over long distances (gas consumption aside). It looks good in a flashy but acceptable way, but it is far from being the machine it could have been! If M would have let the engineers do it right, the M3 would be an awesome monster. But they didn't. The GTS shows the true potential of the car, what you can buy off a dealers showroom is more show than performance. Suits 90% of the M3 owners fine (which is probably why they built it that way), the rest will go looking for something else.
      11-24-2010, 03:52 AM   #114
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
There are some definite reasons I can see favoring an E92 M3 over the 1 series M.. but only if you don't ever plan to go to the track..
Could you expand on this comment? A common theme over the past few months has been that the lack of a NA high reving engine would undermine the 1M on the track. I don't track my cars (although I'd love to), but am nonetheless curious that somebody with a lot of track experience would favor the FI 1M over the NA M3. Is it the weight advantage? Or did your test drive give you a favorable insight regarding the engine?

Also, with respect to your initial comment, what are some of the reasons you would favor the M3 over the 1M?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #115
Madozu
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M / M3 E36 3.2 6MT

^ Good questions ... I'll stay tuned to the answers
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #116
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
Could you expand on this comment? A common theme over the past few months has been that the lack of a NA high reving engine would undermine the 1M on the track. I don't track my cars (although I'd love to), but am nonetheless curious that somebody with a lot of track experience would favor the FI 1M over the NA M3. Is it the weight advantage? Or did your test drive give you a favorable insight regarding the engine?

Also, with respect to your initial comment, what are some of the reasons you would favor the M3 over the 1M?
yes.. the weight penalty with the E90/E92 is simply too huge to overcome. The E92 is a fantastic GT... the 1M is more an outright sports car. The 1M motor does rev freely and has good power up to 7k...I can't recall exactly but I believe the redline was in the 7500 rpm range. Not a complete screamer... but definitely room to play at the top end, and it is willing...
Appreciate 0