Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
On looks I choose the 2 over the 1.
Agreed. Even though the 1M is muscular, the 1-series platform reminds me of a chicken nugget.

Btw,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #24
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
Isnt this the M2? edit... changed to a comparo. Think the 2" width difference makes the M2 for me.
On looks I choose the 2 over the 1.
Yea wasn't sure why he was comparing it to a Carolla.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #25
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

If you are buying a car as an investment you should rethink your investment strategy.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #26
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Wow, lot's of compelling evidence in this thread!

The way I see it, the reason why the 1M has held it's value is due to:
1. Low production
2. Overwhelming positive opinion

Without both of those it wouldn't happen. Plenty of cars can be one or the other but without that combination, no dice.

A good indication of future M2 values would be BMW's lease residual currently...not too exciting.

I'm sure that by all tactile measurements the M2 is a better car, and that's great, no hard feelings, but that doesn't have any bearing on the 1M's merits or potential value. Case in point the E36 M3 I'm sure was 'better' than the E30 M3 in all areas of measure, but we all know how that story reads now.

People continue to say the same thing...everyone wondered if the F8x would impact 1M values and again, we all know how that story reads now.

The ONLY way this would be a worthwhile debate is if BMW was going to limit M2 production similar to 1M production which we know isn't going to happen.

And that...is the end of the story as far as I'm concerned.
      04-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #27
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM3 View Post

1. Low production

Without both of those it wouldn't happen. Plenty of cars can be one or the other but without that combination, no dice.

A good indication of future M2 values would be BMW's lease residual currently...not too exciting.

I'm sure that by all tactile measurements the M2 is a better car, and that's great, no hard feelings, but that doesn't have any bearing on the 1M's merits or potential value. Case in point the E36 M3 I'm sure was 'better' than the E30 M3 in all areas of measure, but we all know how that story reads now.

People continue to say the same thing...everyone wondered if the F8x would impact 1M values and again, we all know how that story reads now.

The ONLY way this would be a worthwhile debate is if BMW was going to limit M2 production similar to 1M production which we know isn't going to happen.

Exactly.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #28
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM3 View Post

1. Low production

I agree but in the end it's all conjecture as crystal ball reading is limited at best.

Have prices dropped since the launch of the M2?

We should revisit this topic in 2019, I suspect by then we'll know without a doubt.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #29
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
No value as an appreciating asset. There's nothing iconic about a 1M.
Only time will tell
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #30
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

All the hype surrounds the M2 is because it is new.

In 2 -3 years time when its not new anymore, people that wants an M car with a manual gearbox will consider the 1M to be more special because

1. Hydraulic steering
2. No artificial sound
3. M mirrors
4. N54 twin turbo vs Single scroll of the M2
5. First turbo M car
6. No auto blipping on throttle even with ESC on
7. Limited production numbers

That means a 1M vs M2 in similar condition the 1M will be more sought after by M brand petrol heads.

Last edited by Karmic Man; 04-28-2016 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2016, 02:11 AM   #31
BarleyE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M sport

Opinions are like Aholes. Everyone has one.

Buy the car that you like, drive it, and enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 03:34 AM   #32
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Bottom line is that 3 years from now, the M2 will still be in production, and buyers looking for that car will not pay up for one that is 3 years old vs. a new one. Assuming that there is enough demand to insure that BMW sells a lot of them, the depreciation will probably follow the normal BMW M-car depreciation-over-time curve. If the M2 is a sufficient sales success that they have newer model versions over time, then the only reasons why a particular series would resist depreciation would be limited production or some sort of substantial mechanical or operational change that would cause some people to prefer the earlier version.

The 1M to M2 transition was a very major one that it appears there will be no turning back on. I am referring to the changes from hydraulic power steering to EPS, the availability of an automatic transmission, and the continued march towards ever increasing electronics in the operation of the vehicle, plus piped in electronic engine noise, much more cluttered cockpit, etc. It is highly unlikely that the next model refresh of the M2 will result in more "driver involvement" in the driving experience, in fact it will probably be yet one further step towards a driverless car.

As such, it seems unlikely that the current version of the M2 will be preferred by very many people years down the line, when there are newer ones sharing the same functional design concepts.

The 1M is however the end of the line for driver's cars that drive more or less like the cars that BMW built their reputation on, so if you want something like a 1M, you will need to buy either a 1M or another vintage BMW with some of the same attributes. There might turn out to be a very limited market, years hence, for authentic vintage BMWs, in which case anyone's guess of future value of a 1M or any other old style BMW would be overly optimistic.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #33
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Just an opinion here...

I think if there were to be a natural successor of the 1M (driver's car + low production + positive review) it might look like this

2002 turbo --> E30 M3 --> 1M --> BMW Z5 M (Supra)
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #34
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
If you are buying a car as an investment you should rethink your investment strategy.
Very True... however, it is nice to know that some cars may depreciate less than others. I was lucky enough to get out of my M4 before depreciation really tanked and only took a loss of about $3k-$4k once you factor in the sales tax benefit from a trade-in.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #35
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Looked at the M2 in blue at my local dealer the other day. It definitely looks better in person . . . from the outside. Inside is a different story. The cockpit is a designer's vomit. Awful. Form over function, and not even good form. That said, it seems to be what people want since all the high volume cheapo cars are also going with the flashy bling bling cockpits (like Kia, Hyundai, Scion, good brands for BMW to emulate on styling)

The wheels are awesome and look to be a direct swap possibility, need to verify offsets, etc... My dealer only has two allocations and wasn't sure if they would get another this year. Their launch car is getting shipped to Connecticut, and the other allocation was ordered by a local guy. Interesting. We'll see how flooded the market becomes.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #36
mremg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
OP here, I didn't ask if the 1M was a good investment strategy. I'm curious if more 1Ms will hit the used market now that M2 is out and hence it's value depreciation in the short term. In other words is the 1M worth the exorbitant money even if there is an M2 you can buy?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #37
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremg View Post
OP here, I didn't ask if the 1M was a good investment strategy. I'm curious if more 1Ms will hit the used market now that M2 is out and hence it's value depreciation in the short term. In other words is the 1M worth the exorbitant money even if there is an M2 you can buy?
You need to drive them both and see which one you like better. I'm sure a few more will hit once the M2 gets out but some will keep them both. I backed out of a M4GTS because my wife said I could not have two toys., it will take something really special for me to sell mine.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #38
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In other words is the 1M worth the exorbitant money even if there is an M2 you can buy?
Of course not, 1M's will become the laughing stock of the entire M lineage given how superior and easy to drive the M2 is.

My mom's M2 will land in about 3 weeks, I can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 06:52 AM   #39
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post
Of course not, 1M's will become the laughing stock of the entire M lineage given how superior and easy to drive the M2 is.

"Easy to Drive" is an attribute I would associate with a Toyota. This will definitely be an improvement over your mom's Accord.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #40
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

Quote:

A car that challenges and scares almost everyone who drives it, and that offered the purest lightweight nimble driving experience since the E46 M3 and that has steadily increased in value since new will never become a laughing stock. The M2 will reward less skilled drivers with its 'easy to drive' nature sure, but that's not what many 'drivers' want. It'll sell, though, but it likely won't be as special as the 1M.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #41
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

That's what most of us are hoping for.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #42
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I'll wait for three years and pick up an off lease M2 for 1/2 price. Let someone else take the depreciation. I'll wager in the same timeframe my 1M will still fetch it's original sticker price.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #43
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
A car that challenges and scares almost everyone who drives it, and that offered the purest lightweight nimble driving experience since the E46 M3 and that has steadily increased in value since new will never become a laughing stock. The M2 will reward less skilled drivers with its 'easy to drive' nature sure, but that's not what many 'drivers' want. It'll sell, though, but it likely won't be as special as the 1M.

Simple Definition of sarcasm

: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #44
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Simple Definition of sarcasm

: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny
I got it.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 0