BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #23
Mowse
Private
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise SC

Since I just cancelled my 1M order and bought a Cayman S I need to throw in my 2 cents.

I think the Porsche is the better car. But it's $20k more. Bang for the buck you can't touch the 1M.

Was a tough decision. BMW has a winner here. I just hope when I finally see one I don't regret my choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #24
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

and on and on it will go.....blahh f*cking blah, for $70k, im considering many different automobiles, and most likely will choose a Z06, you may beat me on a tight track like hokkenheim, but choose one with a long straight and you will suck on my exhaust, so let's quit while we are ahead. Everyone can pick and choose when the wallet isn't included, but wait..your right.......for the $20,000 I saved I can't build a car that is leaps and bounds better than ur Porsche with panties (cough, bullshit)...............and at the end of the day that's all it is my man, and so you will be the wannabe that couldn't afford the 911, or are you just a hypocrit???

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #25
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep

"Strange that we'd pit these two cars together. One is a track-hardened iteration of a car that's quite focused as it is, while the other is, arguably, a posh runabout in a fat body kit. Very different in approach, yes, but both are the acme of their model ranges. And look at how close their performance stats are. Fight on."

...This is straight from the article itself, editor must have not gotten the "Porsche is soooo much better" memo

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #26
M12Power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT

That's the beauty of a BMW M car, hardcore sports car with everyday practicality. For those who think the 1M is too small, have you actually sat in the backseat in the 1M? I totally agree with the reviewer that it can fit four comfortably. I’m about 5’11” (180 cm) tall, and I can sit comfortably in the backseat, provided the front passenger doesn’t need his/her legs stretched out or the seat back leaned all the way back. In fact, I would go so far to say that the backseat in the E92 M3 felt more cramped to me, probably because the seat is slightly contoured, and the center console extends all the way to the back.

Of course if practicality/money was not a concern (I can afford the CR btw), I would pick the CR over the 1M, but I no longer believe in sacrificing practicality for performance. In the end, I still cannot justify blowing that much money on a two-seater that is essentially a “toy.” The performance advantage of the CR won’t be apparent unless you’re tracking it. In everyday real world situation, the 1M will be more than a match for the CR, and with practicality to boot. The best of both worlds; that’s what BMW M provides.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #27
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Both automobiles are extremely competent German machines. It just comes down to personal choice. Neither is right or wrong - just different. And - both are to be enjoyed on the road. The last thing we need is "snob appeal" in either the Porsche or BMW - I think we have all seen enough of that.....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #28
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuban335i View Post
Oh god... Not another one of these reviews that the BMW wins due to it's daily drivability..

The Porsche is leagues better than the 1M performance wise.. For example: the Cayman R laps Hockenheim in 1:12.4 (which is faster than a M3 GTS, Ferrari f430, Audi R8 V10, Porsche 911 GTS with PDK, And obviously the M3 and 1M). THE 1M GOES AROUND IN 1:14.1.

Give me a break.. You are comparing sports cars and their performance capabilities are not the most heavily weighted characteristics? Sure the Cayman R is more expensive, but it's also faster than BMW's most expensive M3 GTS around the track..

This comparison is a joke, I would take the cayman r any day over the 1M. I would actually never buy the 1M but would buy the cayman r if it's replacement wasn't coming out next year.
How about you own an M car (no, M-sport package doesn't count) and express your concerns to others.
The judgement was totally based on whole package, not just the performance.
I am the one who actually said I would get Cayman S over E92 M3 but after owning one, I totally agree with what this review has to say.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #29
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Oh god... Not another one of these reviews that the BMW wins due to it's daily drivability..

The Porsche is leagues better than the 1M performance wise.. For example: the Cayman R laps Hockenheim in 1:12.4 (which is faster than a M3 GTS, Ferrari f430, Audi R8 V10, Porsche 911 GTS with PDK, And obviously the M3 and 1M). THE 1M GOES AROUND IN 1:14.1.

Give me a break.. You are comparing sports cars and their performance capabilities are not the most heavily weighted characteristics? Sure the Cayman R is more expensive, but it's also faster than BMW's most expensive M3 GTS around the track..

This comparison is a joke, I would take the cayman r any day over the 1M. I would actually never buy the 1M but would buy the cayman r if it's replacement wasn't coming out next year.

You are missing the point here. These tests are not 'who is faster on the track'. The idea is a car you can live with day to day and still take it to the track on the weekends and have as much fun as the guy in the CR and be competitive with 98% of the other cars on the track. This is exactly what made the M3 so great.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #30
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
You are missing the point here. These tests are not 'who is faster on the track'. The idea is a car you can live with day to day and still take it to the track on the weekends and have as much fun as the guy in the CR and be competitive with 98% of the other cars on the track. This is exactly what made the M3 so great.
which brings the question to mind, are there mags that review based on track performance only? It would be interesting to see how the 1M does
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #31
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

@Mowse: Congrats and funny, same here
You're getting a black edition S or a standard one? Did you order the sports exhaust and short shifter? A must have!
And don't worry, you won't regret anything. Funniest thing I noticed when I cancelled my 1M and ordered the Porsche: Girls don't care about BMWs and stuff, but they do care about Porsches. Don't know why though, but who cares
And another thing I noticed: At least the Porsche forums I'm reading, it's not always the versus, versus, versus. People enjoy their cars and are happy for eachother. Great thing! Can't wait

Quote:
Why shouldn't you be able to live with a Cayman on a day to day basis? That's exactly what makes this car so great, that you have space and that you can use it as a daily driver. The point is that the Cayman still is a real sportscar, where the 1M is a sportscoupé. But there's no right or wrong, worse or better involved here.

What people are able to use as a daily driver is one's personal choice anyway. No test in the world can prove or disprove anything regarding this topic. I see cars like GT3 RS or a Ferraris in a parking lots in a shopping center here, so if they can use it for shopping, what sense does it make trying to prove them wrong?

It's ones very personal choice. I'm just saying: If you are really able and willing to afford a CR, you would be willing to accept the loss in comfortability and reach out for the gain in sportyness. And I'm not talking about 1 second faster on a track. I'm talking about pure emotions when you starting to push that throttle in that car and rev that machine to over 7'000 rpm. Tell me what you want, no way an 1M can deliver that feeling.

Last edited by skyphab; 05-25-2011 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #32
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post
You're getting a black edition S or a standard one? Did you order the sports exhaust and short shifter? A must have!
And don't worry, you won't regret anything. Funniest thing I noticed when I cancelled my 1M and ordered the Porsche: Girls don't care about BMWs and stuff, but they do care about Porsches. Don't know why though, but who cares
And another thing I noticed: At least the Porsche forums I'm reading, it's not always the versus, versus, versus. People enjoy their cars and are happy for eachother. Great thing! Can't wait

Why shouldn't you be able to live with a Cayman on a day to day basis? That's exactly what makes this car so great, that you have space and that you can use it as a daily driver. The point is that the Cayman still is a real sportscar, where the 1M is a sportscoupé. But there's no right or wrong, worse or better involved here.

What people are able to use as a daily driver is one's personal choice anyway. No test in the world can prove or disprove anything regarding this topic. I see cars like GT3 RS or a Ferraris in a parking lots in a shopping center here, so if they can use it for shopping, what sense does it make trying to prove them wrong?

It's ones very personal choice. I'm just saying: If you are really able and willing to afford a CR, you would be willing to accept the loss in comfortability and reach out for the gain in sportyness. And I'm not talking about 1 second faster on a track. I'm talking about pure emotions when you starting to push that throttle in that car and rev that machine to over 7'000 rpm. Tell me what you want, no way an 1M can deliver that feeling.
I have an interesting idea......why not post all your amazing thoughts in the Cayman forum, why do you feel the need to gloat and put down the 1M on a 1M forum?? Considering you want to keep this argument going, I got all day....call me an asshole, I guess that is why I am from NJ.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #33
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
And second thing I noticed: At least the Porsche forums I'm reading, it's not always the versus, versus, versus. People enjoy their cars and are happy for eachother. Great thing! Can't wait

For the vast majority of us the Cayman R could never be a daily driver. No back seat, no 'trunk', no radio, no door handles, etc. If you were to choose one car the CR or the 1M it would have to be the 1M.

RS3....1M.....CR, the 1M is a perfect mix of the two extremes.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #34
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Autocar in the UK today test the 1m against the Cayman R. To quote in a side by side comparison starting at 1500 rpm the 1m leaves the Cayman R for dead. By the time you reach the 7000 rev limit it has pulled out 70/80 metres on the Cayman R. They tried the same thing in fourth fifth and sixth and the gap grew wider.

The 1M also didn't lose out on handling, brakes etc on a fast cross country run. Given the price difference they find the 1M remarkable value.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #35
techthentic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, 370z

I understand when 911's, Z06's, or even M3's beat out something like the Nissan GTR in comparos, simply because most reviewers find that despite offering the best performance; between the auto and the electronic aids, driving the GTR is about as souless and boring as you can get.

But is the Cayman R pdk only? It would make no sense to me that the Cayman R in comparison to the 1M is boring to drive (unless it's pdk only).

IMHO, even the Cayman S, who's performance should be less than that of a 1M, should offer a better driving experience.

So if it's got nothing on the Cayman R in performance, or in how it is to drive, no idea how it the 1M could win the comparo.

Anyone know if the Cayman R in the comparo is pdk?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #36
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

@JJSchmooze: Just putting things into perspective. Can't stand tests like these where they rate a 1M as high as a CR. Can't believe they even drove both cars.

Quote:
the 1M is a perfect mix of the two extremes.
Call it the perfect mix and rate it one point higher, call it a compromise and rate it one point lower. Depends on the perspective.
But you're right about the daily driver fact. This shows clearly, how meaningless the comparison of this two cars really is.
      05-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #37
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:

This isn't a factor for me in choosing a car - I pick the car that I want and the girls can love it or hate it

Pretty sure thats true here too

Going shopping with a car is a few hours affair and might be 11 minutes of driving backroads to get there, but driving a car each day to work is different and the 1M is more livable for that

I agree that there is a special adrenaline that maybe only the porsche can supply in this case, but you haven't driven the 1M so how can you be so sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSchmooze View Post
I have an interesting idea......why not post all your amazing thoughts in the Cayman forum, why do you feel the need to gloat and put down the 1M on a 1M forum?? Considering you want to keep this argument going, I got all day....call me an asshole, I guess that is why I am from NJ.
Though I don't agree with the points generally, the opinion is still valid and offers an interesting perspective

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #38
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Interesting EVO magazine which on the UK is the real deal when it comes to motor mags put the 1M ahead of the Cayman R. They say the 1M sets a new benchmark. Leaves the Cayman R standing for in gear overtaking.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #39
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
A/C and radio are no cost options that most cayman R's have. Do some research before saying things. I wouldn't buy a car without a/c or radio either. And the added weight from adding those can be mitigated by adding the lightweight Battery
Ah I see. I read only one review and it said they had stripped both ac and radio, wasn't aware it could be ordered. I had actually omitted the cayman r, from my list of next possible car, because I thought it wasn't available, so thanks for the correction.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #40
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26 View Post
Interesting EVO magazine which on the UK is the real deal when it comes to motor mags put the 1M ahead of the Cayman R. They say the 1M sets a new benchmark. Leaves the Cayman R standing for in gear overtaking.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533549

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #41
M12Power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No one is proving anyone wrong here. It's just that some people get a bit agitated when a review like this comes out I have no doubt the CR is a very nice car and better than the 1M from a driving/performance perspective (it has to, especially given the huge price difference). I suppose you could use the CR as a DD if all you do is commuting or the occasional trips to the grocery store/shopping center, and you don't have to worry about carrying more than 1 passenger, but some of us demand more from a DD. Do you honestly think those people with GT3 RS's or Ferraris only own those cars and nothing else? If I care to own two cars, sure, I'd have one CR and one 1M. But if I just want to own one, it'd have to be the 1M. As it's been said countless times before, it's down to personal choice and what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #42
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: on hold

Quoted from the link above

BMW 1 Series M Coupé

Pricing: £40,020
Engine: 3.0-litre six-cylinder twin turbo petrol
Transmission: six-speed manual, rear-wheel drive
Body style: two-door coupé
CO2 emissions: 224g/km
Combined economy: 29.4mpg
Top speed: 155mph
0-62mph: 4.9 seconds
Power: 335bhp at 5,900rpm
Torque: 369lb.ft at 1,500rpm
Weight: 1,495kg

Porsche Cayman R

Pricing: £51,731
Engine: 3.4-litre six-cylinder direct injection petrol, mid-mounted
Transmission: six-speed manual, rear-wheel drive
Body style: three-door coupé
CO2 emissions: 228g/km
Combined economy: 29.1mpg
Top speed: 175mph
0-62mph: 5.0 seconds
Power: 325bhp at 7,400rpm
Torque: 273lb.ft at 4,750rpm
Weight: 1,295kg
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #43
M12Power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A/C and radio are no cost options that most cayman R's have. Do some research before saying things. I wouldn't buy a car without a/c or radio either. And the added weight from adding those can be mitigated by adding the lightweight Battery
I'm sure you know already, but most people here probably don't know just how much Porsche charges for that lightweight battery option. I suppose if you have the money to buy a CR, that's probably pocket change for you And just how much weight does it actually save you, more than the weight of an A/C compressor?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #44
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post

We all know even a cayman s is a better performance car than the 1m and is a far more visceral and better feel and handling.
We do?

Personally, I haven't driven the 1m, so I will let the reviews decide for me until I can.

Appreciate 0