08-31-2011, 03:07 AM   #67
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hasan546 View Post
I think the same way. Also its better to add something now than try to retrofit it in later for even more $$ than it costs originally.
thinking about it over the past few days I would agree so will be adding the HK system and be done with it......
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:32 AM   #68
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I really don't understand people saying they want to order a "stripper" of a car to reduce weight. I mean, with all due respect, even as a "stripper" this car isn't actually light. I can understand wanting to take the weight out of cars such as a Lotus Elise or a Caterham Seven as small amounts of weight can really have a big impact on the way the car performs.

Whether owners have the HK system, or iDrive, or heated seats in their cars is not going to make the blindest bit of difference to their performance when commuting on the motorway. In other words, put a fully loaded 1M against a stripper 1M on the track and the difference will probably not even be measured in points of a second.

For me, if even if I was 1 second quicker in a stripper car on the race track, I'd rather have the luxury bits on the car so that when I drove home from the track, I'd have a few toys to play with in the car. Heated seats, nice stereo, nav to get me home, etc when it's cold and wet outside, would benefit me much further than having a stripper car that was a few hundredths of a second quicker on the track.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking anyone for buying a car without the bits on, but to do it to save weight seems a little strange to me, especially coming from cars that really are light and would be heavily impacted by adding accessories to them.

If people are not adding parts because they don't want them, then that's a different matter. I for one didn't want the electric seats as they do sit a little higher than the manual ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #69
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

This is easy. Find two one series at a dealership. Bring your own cd with high bitrate test music. Listen to one with base system, then one with premium. Decision made.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #70
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok HK now added to our order, just got in on time as informed car is shortly going into build....

Also found out that the sat nav we had ordered now includes bluetooth phone prep + telematics (whatever the hell that all is lol) & voice control.....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #71
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Having owned 6 new BMWs over the last 13yrs I can honestly say regardless of what you get they are lacking when compared to other companies. The 'business' stereo was just horrible. The HK in my E46 M3 was slightly better or even the Z4M(terrible bass response in that car). This is why I didn't upgrade my system on the E90M3 and went with the standard system which is dubbed the 'professional' grade non-HK. I wouldn't mind paying extra for an upgraded system but it just seems like they are not 'that' much better than the standard systems, JMHO of course.
      08-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #72
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

I tested a base 128i and felt that my 135i with premium audio was definitely worth the few extra bucks a month.

I listen to dubstep/ the flashbulb type stuff and metal and the experience is much more enjoyable with the factory upgrade.

Don't forget to tweak the equalizer to your liking!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #73
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklounge View Post
I disagree about the stock hifi. I wanted the hk, but it only came bundled in the $4900 executive package option which i wasn't interested in. At all. So I got the hifi, and I personally think it sounds great with my ipod. It's definitely not "crap". No way. If you can get the hk as a standalone option, go for it. But there's wrong with the hifi at all.
just picked up my car and spent 5 days with it via ED.... For the US... with the way that September and later cars are configured.. I would absolutely LEAVE the HK out.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #74
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
just picked up my car and spent 5 days with it via ED.... For the US... with the way that September and later cars are configured.. I would absolutely LEAVE the HK out.
Essentially you are saying that the added cost for HK incurred by mandatory Assist isn't worth the added coin? Did you have a chance to compare stock hifi vs HK? Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #75
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Hello Ayao... I had a full paragraph written and the forum puked and wouldn't let me add it.. I was tired and needed sleep......

I have not had a chance to compare the two systems... stock and the HK version... however... however... after 5-6 days of driving around Europe.... It's my opinion that 95 percent of people will NOT need the upgraded sound... The stock setup is actually QUITE good! I connected my iphone 4 and played a variety of types of music from Big Audio Dynamite to Jack Johnson to Outkast to Britney Spears... This system plays loudly and clearly with very good bass response.

While I was a little undecided beforehand.. I can honestly say that I don't for a second wish I had paid the $750 for the HK sound... and now that the US package has it cobbled with other options it is DEFINITELY not worth it.

For other markets... where even if it is $750... The HK option has as it's best values the fact that you can roll it into the payments and that you want the sound from the stock locations.. I worked as an car audio and home HIFI salesmen for about 5 years at a hifi store. For $750, one can purchase an amplifier and something like a 10" -12" subwoofer and easily obtain better performance than the stock upgrade. And of course there is no reason you can't go with an aftermarket solution in the stock locations.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #76
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
I really don't understand people saying they want to order a "stripper" of a car to reduce weight. I mean, with all due respect, even as a "stripper" this car isn't actually light. I can understand wanting to take the weight out of cars such as a Lotus Elise or a Caterham Seven as small amounts of weight can really have a big impact on the way the car performs.
I'm going for the "stripper" not only for weight, but for simplicity. Less buttons. Less motors. Less electronics. Less to go obsolete. Less to breakdown. Less to distract.

The only time I've ever come close to an accident in my M3 was during moments when I was distracted by the iDrive.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #77
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Hello Ayao... I had a full paragraph written and the forum puked and wouldn't let me add it.. I was tired and needed sleep......

I have not had a chance to compare the two systems... stock and the HK version... however... however... after 5-6 days of driving around Europe.... It's my opinion that 95 percent of people will NOT need the upgraded sound... The stock setup is actually QUITE good! I connected my iphone 4 and played a variety of types of music from Big Audio Dynamite to Jack Johnson to Outkast to Britney Spears... This system plays loudly and clearly with very good bass response.

While I was a little undecided beforehand.. I can honestly say that I don't for a second wish I had paid the $750 for the HK sound... and now that the US package has it cobbled with other options it is DEFINITELY not worth it.

For other markets... where even if it is $750... The HK option has as it's best values the fact that you can roll it into the payments and that you want the sound from the stock locations.. I worked as an car audio and home HIFI salesmen for about 5 years at a hifi store. For $750, one can purchase an amplifier and something like a 10" -12" subwoofer and easily obtain better performance than the stock upgrade. And of course there is no reason you can't go with an aftermarket solution in the stock locations.
M3 - thanks for the feedback.

I suppose my dilemma is that despite Assist being required for HK, my build sheet for HK/heated seats/Ipod/USB/BT came back N/C (no charge) for Assist/USB/BT (7H8) -- essentially paying just for seats/HK. The online configurator did the same thing.

However, I'm not an auto audiophile and generally prefer listening to the engine, so I could certainly live without HK, particularly if the stock unit is more than serviceable.

Incidentally on the configurator, if I choose just heated seats and BT/USB, the BT/USB comes up N/C.

I suppose my priorities are: 1) heated seats / BT 2) conserve $ 3) not have any surprises when the car is delivered. I'm currently 112 status, build week 39.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #78
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Sorry mate, I can not take your opinion seriously now I am afraid......

You lost me at that point
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #79
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Sorry mate, I can not take your opinion seriously now I am afraid......

You lost me at that point

Sorry.. Daughter has an iphone ... as do I.. we ended up playing as much of her music... Adele.. Never say Never.. etc as much as mine..
but the key was it's pop music with good range and decent bass.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #80
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
M3 - thanks for the feedback.

I suppose my dilemma is that despite Assist being required for HK, my build sheet for HK/heated seats/Ipod/USB/BT came back N/C (no charge) for Assist/USB/BT (7H8) -- essentially paying just for seats/HK. The online configurator did the same thing.

However, I'm not an auto audiophile and generally prefer listening to the engine, so I could certainly live without HK, particularly if the stock unit is more than serviceable.

Incidentally on the configurator, if I choose just heated seats and BT/USB, the BT/USB comes up N/C.

I suppose my priorities are: 1) heated seats / BT 2) conserve $ 3) not have any surprises when the car is delivered. I'm currently 112 status, build week 39.

Thoughts?
I got heated seats and ipod/USB and BT... so right there with the same options.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #81
BlitzM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Quote:
I have not had a chance to compare the two systems... stock and the HK version... however... however... after 5-6 days of driving around Europe.... It's my opinion that 95 percent of people will NOT need the upgraded sound... The stock setup is actually QUITE good!

You know what they say about opinions. We need a comparison. Anyone heard both stock and HK back to back.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #82
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanna1M View Post
You know what they say about opinions. We need a comparison. Anyone heard both stock and HK back to back.

Sure.. I'm just saying there's a lot more useful items that one could spend $750 on ...

if you want the HK.. go ahead.. but my recommendation is check out the stock setup on a car at a dealer.. instead of just throwing $750 out there because it sounds like a cool upgrade...

for those that want audiophile quality sound... which would be me... the HK stuff won't cut it any way..

Ever notice that you can't find HK speakers for sale in the US? that's because they make electronics.... Great amplifiers... integrated amps... surround sound processors.. but not speakers..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #83
SuperSig
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Is there a manual for this HK? I have read somewhere there is a supplemental manual like the one that comes with the 1M as a supplement to the standard 1 Series manual. If there is a manual, can somebody upload it ?

I ordered the HK system and haven't spent time with my car yet, but I did not receive any supplemental manual with my car.

Maybe someone can take a video of the iDrive additional parameters that you get if you have the HK? It's my understanding it has some type of parametric EQ.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #84
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3

This is my 4th BMW and the first model I had the balls to actually say no to the audio option. I listened and test drove 3 series, 5 series and an X5 and I wasn't disappointed with the experience with the non-HK. 99% of people who bought the HK is going to say its worth it....of course they bought it. Audiophile = get it, because you will feel better and never second question it. Non-audiophile = don't and you won't miss it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #85
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Yes do not hesitate

The HK is the ONLY unit to consider. The other system is pathetic. I have had 5 or 6 bimmers over the years. I switch off driving a 330 ci with HK and the 135i with "premium" sound. Night and day and the cause of much daily drivng angst. I would gladly pay 2X the $750 initial cost if I could close my eyes and the HK system would appear.

IMO, the only exception to this, is if you are an audiophile and plan to spend $2000 to completely redo the system anyway. Do NOT hesitate...get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #86
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito1702 View Post
spend $2000
That's just getting started. Getting a usable signal, replacing the front and underseat speakers, amplifying everything and adding a sub can get near 4k pretty quickly.

I'm not trying to nitpick your $ amount, far from it. Only trying to say that $750 is actually a pretty good amount for the bump you get w/ the HK setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #87
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Got a Loan 330D - fully optioned - while my car is in for service today...

It's got the HK system... Wow. Get it. SO much better than standard...
      09-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #88
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I would be willing to take a few audio samples of the different genres of music so you guys can hear what the HK sounds like. Obviously they will be based on what you listen to it with, but you can get a general idea of where the bass falls flat, and the overall Acoustics are represented. LMK if this is something anyone here is interested.

I had posted my opinion after owning both, but maybe this will help you guys out.

Again, personally I can't imagine owning a 1 without the HK, unless you plan on upgrading the stereo. The hiFi (standard on '12) is just subpar, imo. But again, please keep in mind I am an audiophile.

Feel free to PM if you want additional information. I have had both of them (back to back) and am well rehearsed in sound quality,haha.

Last edited by MD Designs; 09-07-2011 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0