BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

01-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #45
GOU
Private
Rep
Drives:

Hi Anthony...

you have this CATTED DOWNPIPES ready now ?
I have to buy the 02 SIMULATOR to ?

thanks....
      02-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #46
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOU View Post
Hi Anthony...

you have this CATTED DOWNPIPES ready now ?
I have to buy the 02 SIMULATOR to ?

thanks....
Should be ready to ship Friday with the Plenums

Catted DPs 95% of the time don't need 02 SIMs...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #47
ZER0_C00L
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sparkling Graphite 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I see the HP difference between the catted and the catless DPs, but which sounds better?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #48
Adam@Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Blue BMW M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZER0_C00L View Post
I see the HP difference between the catted and the catless DPs, but which sounds better?
Well,

its hard to say. Pretty much depends on what you're looking for. The catted downpipes will give you a nice deep tone, no rasp and great top end pitch. The catless downpipes are much more aggressive in sound, but not over the top. Deeper, with more grunt. We have video/sound clips on our site! You can hear our Fully catless system with our RR exhaust on there!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #49
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep

Catted Downpipes Are Back In Stock Ready Too Ship!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 03:51 AM   #50
Adam@Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Catted Polished ready to ship. Coated takes a few days!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #51
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

So has anyone gotten catted downpipes from Riss recently and got them to fit? I tried to have mine installed by COBB Tuning and the bungholes in the front side are badly placed and they couldn't get them to work. I'm wondering if anybody else has run into this.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #52
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
So has anyone gotten catted downpipes from Riss recently and got them to fit? I tried to have mine installed by COBB Tuning and the bungholes in the front side are badly placed and they couldn't get them to work. I'm wondering if anybody else has run into this.
Like on my other thread it was a big issue getting them to fit.. but eventually my shop did get it fitted.. prblm was that mine were coated which means I paid extra but now have them all scratched up.. and of course on my other thread encountering a code that might be related to the product.. (not the usual 2 codes that are fixed with the o2sim)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #53
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
Like on my other thread it was a big issue getting them to fit.. but eventually my shop did get it fitted.. prblm was that mine were coated which means I paid extra but now have them all scratched up.. and of course on my other thread encountering a code that might be related to the product.. (not the usual 2 codes that are fixed with the o2sim)
I'm in for $500 on labor so far and have nothing to show for it. The flanges on their exhaust and downpipes don't meet up right and the bolts have to be put in at an angle. If you just put their exhaust on you have to pull the stock downpipes closer together to make them fit, and again run the bolts at an odd angle. Does any of this seem right? How much more am I going to have to shell out to get this installed? How much pressure are the various joints going to be under when it is installed?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 05:01 AM   #54
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

Have you tried loosening off your mountings to the turbos and then installing the front engine pipes at the flanges. When you connect the front engine pipes to the downpipes they naturally pull up and then you tighten the flanges at the downpipes.

Pm me if you need help, timezone might be a problem though, i have done heaps of these and developed sets for our cars over this side of the pond. The first install is always the hardest, they do get easier with experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #55
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
Have you tried loosening off your mountings to the turbos and then installing the front engine pipes at the flanges. When you connect the front engine pipes to the downpipes they naturally pull up and then you tighten the flanges at the downpipes.

Pm me if you need help, timezone might be a problem though, i have done heaps of these and developed sets for our cars over this side of the pond. The first install is always the hardest, they do get easier with experience.
I paid professionals to do this, problem is they haven't done a lot of BMW work. They spent 6 hours at it, and came to the conclusion it wasn't going to fit as the sensors were in each other's way no matter what they did. Also when they noticed that the flanges on the exhaust and downpipes don't match they got pretty concerned about the quality of the pieces and the stress they'll be under when installed.

I found another installer in the area that does only BMW work. He gave me a fixed quote for install. Looks like I'm going to be out even more money, but at this point I don't know what else to do. I just can't see why the stock stuff fits on so nicely where this stuff has to be forced.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #56
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Well Stett Performance managed to get the downpipes on. Chad Stett says that the O2 sensors are within a few thousands of an inch of each other, but he believes it's ok. The Riss exhaust didn't come close to fitting, but that's a separate issue and I'm waiting to hear from Anthony soon.

Anyways, I got home, just a seven mile drive so they're not broken in yet, but I'm as hungry as some fabled hippos and need to eat, and the car is real stinky and I got the service engine soon light. Stett says that could just be some of the coating burning off the insides that upset the O2 sensor and it may go away. Riss also gave me O2 sims and I may have those installed Saturday. I'm hoping these aren't major issues and all will be well after some spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #57
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Well Stett Performance managed to get the downpipes on. Chad Stett says that the O2 sensors are within a few thousands of an inch of each other, but he believes it's ok. The Riss exhaust didn't come close to fitting, but that's a separate issue and I'm waiting to hear from Anthony soon.

Anyways, I got home, just a seven mile drive so they're not broken in yet, but I'm as hungry as some fabled hippos and need to eat, and the car is real stinky and I got the service engine soon light. Stett says that could just be some of the coating burning off the insides that upset the O2 sensor and it may go away. Riss also gave me O2 sims and I may have those installed Saturday. I'm hoping these aren't major issues and all will be well after some spirited driving.
Let me know what happens.. got mine taken off today and took around hmm 4 hours haha.. gonna clear the codes tomorrow and run it to see if I still get my reduced boost symbol.. (I did a few runs and it didnt come up but will check this out on the hwy)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #58
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Such a mission. I am soo hesistant to get a set of these. My RR exhaust was a pain to get on as well. The RR guys are great but fitment on some of their products could be better.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #59
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
We are constantly doing our best to improve our products in quality and fitment. We apologize if the install is a PITA, but we know that you'll love the final results of all our products.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #60
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Should the O2 sensors near the turbos be touching? I saw today that mine definitely are. There is also a bit of oil dripping in that area. Just a couple drops, but I'm concerned there's something under stress since the downpipes are so tightly fitted.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #61
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep

All orders shipped! Thanks for the support!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #62
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
Got a few sets left: Please don't hesitate to send me a PM or e-mail at James@rissracing.com for any questions or inquiries! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #63
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Was under the car yesterday installing an FMIC, checked out my catted DP's and the routing of the 02 sensor's none of the fitment issues that someone claimed elsewhere. From the pictures I saw it looks like the pipes that he had installed were swapped out, left on the right, right on left, which may have lead to all kinds of issues he had. To be brief, and FWIW no issues here with my install.
Fran
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #64
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
Was under the car yesterday installing an FMIC, checked out my catted DP's and the routing of the 02 sensor's none of the fitment issues that someone claimed elsewhere. From the pictures I saw it looks like the pipes that he had installed were swapped out, left on the right, right on left, which may have lead to all kinds of issues he had. To be brief, and FWIW no issues here with my install.
Fran
I take it you mean me. What you are saying is pretty much impossible. There are front and back pipes, not left and right, and they are very rigid, so you can't cross them incorrectly or anything like that. If it's even possible to put them in the wrong spots they'd be pointing towards the front of the car.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #65
Adam@Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
Fran
Thanks Fran!

Glad to hear the installation went fine. If you need anything else, do not hesitate to contact us!

James@riss racing
Adam@riss racing
riss racing
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #66
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Quote:
I take it you mean me. What you are saying is pretty much impossible. There are front and back pipes, not left and right, and they are very rigid, so you can't cross them incorrectly or anything like that. If it's even possible to put them in the wrong spots they'd be pointing towards the front of the car.

Well looking at them from the bottom there is a right and left, but you are right. I know they are very rigid, most heavy gauge stainless tubes are and mine were no exception. All I know is mine didn't look like yours when I was done. Was just adding my 2 cents, which we all know is worth nothing.
Cheers,
Fran
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread