BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
Genes1s
Private
Rep
Drives: 1997 E36 M3/4/5. 2011 E82 135i

Newly acquired 2011 135i N55 DCT with questions and concerns.

Hey guys,

New to this forum and new to the N55 engine platform also. I'm familiar older M cars (E36/46M) but never worked on this plaftorm.

Got the car few days ago, drove 8 hours to pick it up after PPI. PPI indicated few issues but you always find more, once you get it up in the air on your own time. Overall it was running good but have few concerns and issues that I'd like to get your opinion on this.

Issues:
1. Low coolant engine light is always on even though I topped off the coolant. No coolant lose during the 8 hours trip so that is a good sign other than getting new sensor.

2. DCT is starting to sweat, I could see fresh a couple of oil pools on the casing. Still trying to figure out where it came from. Cleaned the entire case hoping I can trouble shoot it better. I plan to replace the fluid and filter anyway. .
Name:  IMG_9567.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  654.9 KB

What areas are prone to the leak. It looks like the transmission have a few different mating surface other than the pan. Are there any other gasket that need to be addressed? I circled the area in blue and it looks like it is mating surface that has RTV or metal to metal flange? This picture below is after I cleaned it
Name:  InkedIMG_9584_LI.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  250.4 KB

3. Diff is also sweating, I see an oil pooled on the flange where the input seal is. I plan to flush the diff and replace all seals (input and output). This should be pretty straight forward deal. Picture is after I cleaned, but oil pool is circled in blue.
Name:  InkedIMG_9601_LI.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  378.0 KB

4. Engine noise. Inside the cabin, I couldn't hear a thing, but when I opened the hood it is apparent. At start up it sounded like a litter tick on My E36M3 when it doesn't have oil pressure after oil drained. Is this normal? In the video, you could hear 2 different type of noises, one is intermittent small rattle coming from the DP and Exhaust manifold area. This could be the gate? The other noise is pretty much on top of the engine. It doesn't sounds like injector, it doesn't get any louder. What is this noise?

Questions:

1. I've heard about engine knock/RB seizing after OFHG replacement or whenever you drain the oil completely, this seems like BMW dropped the freakin ball. They issued a priming procedure to minimize this. Do you need to do this when you do oil change? It seems like if the problem is weak oiling system, any type of oil drain can cavitate the line and reducing the oil pressure.
2. How do you guy monitor the engine coolant temp? I'm not comfortable with just the engine oil temp as a way to monitor engine temp. On E36/46, at least we have dummy gage and I installed stand alone oil/water temp and oil pressure to make sure I know the engine condition at all time.

Overall, this car has a good potential for DD. I do appreciate my E36M3/4/5 more though as a driver car. Both in stock form, the E36 M3 just feels different. I found that the E82 is a little floaty and the rear steps out a little more that when you push it hard with little warning. I do like the DCT though. My goodness, it makes you like a rockstar. With E36M3, you have to know how to shift, how to heel toe, how to control with car more, which is rewarding if you master it.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to be a part of this great community.

Last edited by Genes1s; 07-15-2021 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I don't think I'll be able to answer/address all your questions but:

Main Oil Leak locations: Oil Filter Housing Gasket, Valve Cover Gasket, Rear Main seal (bit more rare), Mechatronics o-ring/sleeve (DCT trans), Oil pan (a bit rare, but still likely at 70 or 80K+)

Regarding Low Coolant light: Level sensor is relatively cheap and can be replaced without draining the system. Kinda typical

Engine noise: I didn't listen to the video, but the injector tick is pretty loud on the car.

Monitoring/gauges: MHD (software) has become very popular, used for tuning, logging, and gauge monitoring.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I listened to the video and it sounded like my old 1er. Mine was a 2011 with the DCT, like the OP's car. Kind of reminds me of a diesel. Normal.
      10-19-2020, 02:58 PM   #4
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genes1s View Post
Hey guys,

New to this forum and new to the N55 engine platform also. I'm familiar older M cars (E36/46M) but never worked on this plaftorm.

Got the car few days ago (https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1761344), drove 8 hours to pick it up after PPI. PPI indicated few issues but you always find more, once you get it up in the air on your own time. Overall it was running good but have few concerns and issues that I'd like to get your opinion on this.

Issues:
1. Low coolant engine light is always on even though I topped off the coolant. No coolant lose during the 8 hours trip so that is a good sign other than getting new sensor.

2. DCT is starting to sweat, I could see fresh a couple of oil pools on the casing. Still trying to figure out where it came from. Cleaned the entire case hoping I can trouble shoot it better. I plan to replace the fluid and filter anyway. .
Attachment 2439362

What areas are prone to the leak. It looks like the transmission have a few different mating surface other than the pan. Are there any other gasket that need to be addressed? I circled the area in blue and it looks like it is mating surface that has RTV or metal to metal flange? This picture below is after I cleaned it
Attachment 2439354

3. Diff is also sweating, I see an oil pooled on the flange where the input seal is. I plan to flush the diff and replace all seals (input and output). This should be pretty straight forward deal. Picture is after I cleaned, but oil pool is circled in blue.
Attachment 2439355

4. Engine noise. Inside the cabin, I couldn't hear a thing, but when I opened the hood it is apparent. At start up it sounded like a litter tick on My E36M3 when it doesn't have oil pressure after oil drained. Is this normal? In the video, you could hear 2 different type of noises, one is intermittent small rattle coming from the DP and Exhaust manifold area. This could be the gate? The other noise is pretty much on top of the engine. It doesn't sounds like injector, it doesn't get any louder. What is this noise?

Questions:

1. I've heard about engine knock/RB seizing after OFHG replacement or whenever you drain the oil completely, this seems like BMW dropped the freakin ball. They issued a priming procedure to minimize this. Do you need to do this when you do oil change? It seems like if the problem is weak oiling system, any type of oil drain can cavitate the line and reducing the oil pressure.
2. How do you guy monitor the engine coolant temp? I'm not comfortable with just the engine oil temp as a way to monitor engine temp. On E36/46, at least we have dummy gage and I installed stand alone oil/water temp and oil pressure to make sure I know the engine condition at all time.

Overall, this car has a good potential for DD. I do appreciate my E36M3/4/5 more though as a driver car. Both in stock form, the E36 M3 just feels different. I found that the E82 is a little floaty and the rear steps out a little more that when you push it hard with little warning. I do like the DCT though. My goodness, it makes you like a rockstar. With E36M3, you have to know how to shift, how to heel toe, how to control with car more, which is rewarding if you master it.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to be a part of this great community.
Welcome to 1er ownership. That tick in the video is just injectors, like the above poster said. They are like big truck injectors. Freaked me out too when I first got my car.
I only pulled my fuel pump power off and primed my engine when I did my turbos. Other than that, oil and gasket changes I did not.
I'm an n54 automatic. So I know nothing about dct. Best of luck with your new ride
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #5
Genes1s
Private
Rep
Drives: 1997 E36 M3/4/5. 2011 E82 135i

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0