BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
midlands
Rep
Drives: PCD 12/13/10: 135i Conv 6MT

Any reason to be picky about tire installers?

My 2011 135i needs its first set of new rear tires. I'm just going to replace them with the same ones (OEM, Bridgestone Potenza RE050As).

Is there any reason to be picky about tire installers — because it's a BMW, or because they're RFTs, or because of the TPMS — or can I just pick a local shop that gets good reviews on the TireRack site?

Should I get no alignment, a two-wheel alignment, or all four wheels?

Thanks! I last dealt with this on a 2004 350Z, which was neither RFT nor had TPMS, so I'm a little clueless here…
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

There are things that go wrong in tire shops around where I live.

No 1. The lug bolts are overtightened to the point it may bend the hubs, fracture the lug bolt, or just make them impossible to remove by hand. Some of the best shops don't use air-wrenches to tighten the lug nuts, but that is very rare. If using air-wrench, its a good idea to insist they take some precaution to setup the tools for the correct torque. It can't hurt to simply ask them not to over-tighten the lug bolts.

No 2. They will be careless and scratch your rims when throwing them on the tire mounting or balancing machine.

No 3. Runflats are an extremely tight fit, so if they don't have the right equipment your rims are going to get scratched. In the worst cases, the bead of the run-flat tire could be damaged.

The advice I'd give you is to take the car to a shop that often deals with high end European cars. They are more likely to understand you and your needs as a customer.

I'm extremely fussy about who does the alignment on my car. I prefer to use a shop that deals with a lot of BMWs. You need a four wheel alignment for a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Some tire shops might not be able to do an alignment on your BMW. Make sure to ask them if they have the right equipment.

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Just watch them and make sure they're careful. I've had some tire shops mount my tires and they scuffed up the lips.
      03-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Maybe you need an alignment, maybe not. But you won't need an alignment just because you put new new tires on.

Around here, the BMW dealers have coupons on their websites for discount alignments practically always. For example:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Ditto on:
No 2. They will be careless and scratch your rims when throwing them on the tire mounting or balancing machine.

No 3. Runflats are an extremely tight fit, so if they don't have the right equipment your rims are going to get scratched. In the worst cases, the bead of the run-flat tire could be damaged.

Go a reputable shop, check the forum, but even then talk, talk and talk some more and explain that you do not want the rims scratched, maybe even offer extra money or tip to the guy mounting the tires if you don't want your rims scratched. If you don't care you can go anywhere. I went to a "reputable" shop that was a local bmw sponsor and they still screwed up (had a young guy on it, I was pissed).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
terrapen73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Also, check with your local dealership. Mine is willing to match Tire Rack prices for tires and their mount and balance is the same price as getting it done at one of the local shops. Unless it is a high end rim store, most of the places do a half ass job. So I just use my dealer and know it will be right or they will make it so by fixing the damaged rim, etc. If you have to use a local place, take pics of your rims in the parking lot when you drop if off so you have proof if they damage something. That is probably the only way you will get it fixed by them.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
There are things that go wrong in tire shops around where I live.

No 1. The lug bolts are overtightened to the point it may bend the hubs, fracture the lug bolt, or just make them impossible to remove by hand. Some of the best shops don't use air-wrenches to tighten the lug nuts, but that is very rare. If using air-wrench, its a good idea to insist they take some precaution to setup the tools for the correct torque. It can't hurt to simply ask them not to over-tighten the lug bolts.

The advice I'd give you is to take the car to a shop that often deals with high end European cars. They are more likely to understand you and your needs as a customer.

I'm extremely fussy about who does the alignment on my car. I prefer to use a shop that deals with a lot of BMWs. You need a four wheel alignment for a BMW.
This, + use your Regional forum for recommendations for a reputable shop. There is nothing worse than going in circles with a shop that 1) screwed up the tire balance 2) cannot properly set four wheels in alignment. GL.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Be wary of Sears Auto, or other less reputable places. They fucking put on my directional tires backwards. THERE'S A BIG ARROW SHOWING WHICH WAY THE ROTATION IS. Less reputable places tend to be sloppy and not care if they mess up with your car.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Do not leave your car alone no matter who does the work! The following is a tale of woe from many years back on the twin turbo RX-7 form. One of the members of that forum dropped off his twin turbo RX-7 on his way to work at a local tire shop to put some new wheels and tires on. When he went to pick up the car at lunch time he was greeted by the police, seems a couple of the tire employees took the car out for lunch, lost control, totaled the car and killed the passenger. Ends up the tire shop owner had no insurance and declared bankruptcy. Lawsuits followed, and his car insurance ended up footing the bill.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i

I just want to put my TCW into this issue. From my perspective tires are one of the most important items on a car. They are the only item between the car and the pavement. I never run retreads. I place high importance on what tires and rims I put on the car and who is mounting them. Going 80MHP is not good if the tires/rims are low quality or poorly mounted. Like I said, just my TCW.
Appreciate 0