BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2018, 06:56 AM   #1
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
New build: Need some direction on suspension work

Hi guys just bought myself a 128i after selling my 335i.
Specs: 2008 128i 6 speed, Montego Blue Metallic, black sport seats, sadly a sunroof, but has non heated manual seats, Hifi stereo, M-sport suspension.
Mileage: 86k
Mods: AFE sealed intake, Headers, AA-tune, 3IM. Ordered some cowl filters
Recent maintenance: front control arms and rear shocks.
Car seems to be really taken care of but its lacking in the suspension department.
I'd like to lighten everything up in general and lower it a bit. Would you suggest getting coil overs first or light weight rims first. Id like to make this a little track toy as I have a house really close to NJ Motorsports park.

Also my car is always for sale at the right price so shoot me an offer if you really want it!
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
sprp85
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S54/N52

Garage List
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
2007 E91 328i  [0.00]
If you want to lower it jusy a bit then go with shock+after market spring combination. All can be had for slightly over a grand, plus you will need to replace a bunch of stock parts whole you are at it, which costs anywhere between 2-300. Also pick up RSFB inserts at minimum.

UNLESS, you are willing to spend 1/3 of car's value on picking up an upper tier coilover, shock/spring combo will get u a nicely sorted trackable street car.

That gives you a room to pick up light weight wheels, a win-win I would say.

Anyhow, from the look of your last sentence, maybe you wont be around for awhile?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #3
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprp85 View Post
If you want to lower it jusy a bit then go with shock+after market spring combination. All can be had for slightly over a grand, plus you will need to replace a bunch of stock parts whole you are at it, which costs anywhere between 2-300. Also pick up RSFB inserts at minimum.

UNLESS, you are willing to spend 1/3 of car's value on picking up an upper tier coilover, shock/spring combo will get u a nicely sorted trackable street car.

That gives you a room to pick up light weight wheels, a win-win I would say.

Anyhow, from the look of your last sentence, maybe you wont be around for awhile?
Thanks for the input! I was able to put in shocks and lowering springs on my 335i so that definitely a rout id feel comfortable doing. RSFB? are you talking about rear sub frame inserts? I did notice the rear end feels a little sloppy.

And well I picked up the car for 6k and I see these for sale all the time around 10k so I mean 4k profit is always a nice thing. But I'm pretty sure I will fall in love with this car once I tighten it up a bit. I've only driven it 2 days so far...I hate having an addiction to modifying my car sometimes
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I'd definitely suggest coilovers. It's going to make a bigger difference than light weight rims (I've never noticed a difference between the heavy stock 18s and my light weight Apex rims)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoads335i View Post
Also my car is always for sale at the right price so shoot me an offer if you really want it!
I almost fell off my chair laughing when I read this
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Here's a short list of my suspension mods and a brief review:

Koni Yellows + Eibach (Prokit?) Springs. Stiffened-up the ride just the right amount, lowered the car by around an inch.

Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts. Made the rear end feel less wandery and it put power down better.

Eibach 28mm Front Sway Bar. Made the car feel much more stable at all speeds, improved responsiveness on-center, increased steering feel, huge improvement.

Dinan Camber Plates. Too extreme for a car that doesn't see much performance (back roads don't count) driving, but mine does, and they dramatically increased front end grip and turn-in.

1M/M3 Front Control Arms. Really improved feel of the front end, steering feel improved (more fine-grain feeling), kept the front suspension from feeling unsettled after mid-corner bumps.

Also, tires change everything. I don't have the greatest tires (I dream of PSC2's), but it still grips like a horny little mofo.

See my build thread in my signature below for all the stuff on my car.
      07-13-2018, 03:34 AM   #6
128Styll
Colosseum Chariot Driving Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow '12 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Here's a short list of my suspension mods and a brief review:

Koni Yellows + Eibach (Prokit?) Springs. Stiffened-up the ride just the right amount, lowered the car by around an inch.

Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts. Made the rear end feel less wandery and it put power down better.

Eibach 28mm Front Sway Bar. Made the car feel much more stable at all speeds, improved responsiveness on-center, increased steering feel, huge improvement.

Dinan Camber Plates. Too extreme for a car that doesn't see much performance (back roads don't count) driving, but mine does, and they dramatically increased front end grip and turn-in.

1M/M3 Front Control Arms. Really improved feel of the front end, steering feel improved (more fine-grain feeling), kept the front suspension from feeling unsettled after mid-corner bumps.

Also, tires change everything. I don't have the greatest tires (I dream of PSC2's), but it still grips like a horny little mofo.

See my build thread in my signature below for all the stuff on my car.

Can I get a pn for the "Koni Yellows + Eibach (Prokit?) Springs". Is the whole M3 upgrade kit (from ECS/FCP) worth it or only the wishbones? Also, are the camber plates necessary when switching to the M3 control arms?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Koni+Eibach Kit: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...+Before+9%2F10

Camber plates are not required when switching to the M3 front arms. The M3 arms will give you about -0.75° additional camber over stock; if you want more then you'll need to add plates too.