BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: AW BMW E82 1M

Is it possible to add power folding mirrors?

Hi All,

Just recently started driving my 1M in Hong Kong (and no its not the VO one on youtube haha)

However, I imported it from the UK (both RHD) and I was not able to pick out all the options that I wanted and one of them was the power folding mirrors/tilting when reversing.

I was just wondering if its possible to retrofit this system onto what I have now.

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance!

-kookieshk.

P.S. my car comes with UK maps...does anyone know how I can reflash the system and get the maps of Hong Kong into my car?
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
spyder562
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookieshk View Post
Hi All,

Just recently started driving my 1M in Hong Kong (and no its not the VO one on youtube haha)

However, I imported it from the UK (both RHD) and I was not able to pick out all the options that I wanted and one of them was the power folding mirrors/tilting when reversing.

I was just wondering if its possible to retrofit this system onto what I have now.

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance!

-kookieshk.

P.S. my car comes with UK maps...does anyone know how I can reflash the system and get the maps of Hong Kong into my car?
Off topic

How were you able to import the 1M from the UK to HK? I was under the belief you couldn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

There are a lot of cars that are imported in Hong Kong. Basically you any car that is a Right Hand Drive car is possible for importing.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Hmmm, right hand drive cars, some Asian markets where a 1M value is much higher than UK, explosive amount of stolen cars in UK, makes me wonder where do those cars disappearing in UK end up (really I wonder, not implying anything). Since they can't end up anywhere else in Europe nearby (OK Cyprus).

No offense to OP, congratulations with your purchase and hope you will find a fix to that problem. It might be easier than you thought, maybe just coding will do, or buying a new set of mirrors will be needed, it comes down to how much will they cost; you better talk with local BMW service station.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Seems to be if you have memory seat already.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681912

Will be trying this out soonish
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

I got my car european coded (i live in the us) but when i hold down my lock button my mirrors fold up and when you unlock the car they automatically fold down. Im sure you can find someone to provide coding for you. You just have to find someone!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

my car did not come with power seats and i have to manually push my mirrors up to fold them....i would want to add the power mirrors!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Would most likely require a lot of wiring then.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
speedyjoe
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3/1M

congrats!
how much you paid for your ride in Hong Kong?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

speedyjoe:
it came out to about 100k usd

ozinaldo:
im pretty sure mine isn't one of the stolen ones from the UK, my dealership is quite a reputable supercar dealership in hong kong, they mainly deal in lamborghini/ferrari/mclaren, and if it was stolen I hope BMW would have flagged it down when I brought it in for servicing
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///1rider View Post
I got my car european coded (i live in the us) ...
would be interested in what this means & your benefits for doing?

On topic, OP's question is on a distant to-do list. Retrofit target is option $430 dimming mirrors (which includes the stand alone folding mirrors option $313). This is my preliminary shopping list based on a NO power seats 459 & NO 313/430 original car:

51168041953 Mirror glas heated plane left ELEKTROCHROM
51168041954 Mirror glas heated convex right ELEKTROCHROM
67137842601 WIRING SET ELECTR.EXTERIOR MIRRORS Left (Includes the engine that folds the mirror)
67137842602 WIRING SET ELECTR.EXTERIOR MIRRORS Right (Includes the engine that folds the mirror)
67137191398 Power, outside mirror, LIN bus (2X) (Mirror actuators for up-down-left-right movements)
61319216526 Switch Window Lifter, Driver Side (I believe this part to be optional if mirrors are only operated through key fob. Suggest to try without first)
51169225980 Interior Mirror EC/LED/GTO/compass/FLA (Relates to dimming mirrors)
61120434330 Retrofit wire, rearview, electrochromat (Relates to dimming mirrors)
VO (vehicle option) coding 430

If you'd go for folding mirrors only, I believe this should get you a long way:
67137191402 Drive, outside mirror left $84.48
67137191405 Drive, outside mirror right $84.48
67136940596 WIRING SET ELECTR.EXTERIOR MIRRORS (2X) $27.37
VO (vehicle option) coding 313

good luck and looking forward to your DIY thread shortly
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
would be interested in what this means & your benefits for doing?

On topic, OP's question is on a distant to-do list. Retrofit target is option $430 dimming mirrors (which includes the stand alone folding mirrors option $313). This is my preliminary shopping list based on a NO power seats 459 & NO 313/430 original car:

51168041953 Mirror glas heated plane left ELEKTROCHROM
51168041954 Mirror glas heated convex right ELEKTROCHROM
67137842601 WIRING SET ELECTR.EXTERIOR MIRRORS Left (Includes the engine that folds the mirror)
67137842602 WIRING SET ELECTR.EXTERIOR MIRRORS Right (Includes the engine that folds the mirror)
67137191398 Power, outside mirror, LIN bus (2X) (Mirror actuators for up-down-left-right movements)
61319216526 Switch Window Lifter, Driver Side (I believe this part to be optional if mirrors are only operated through key fob. Suggest to try without first)
51169225980 Interior Mirror EC/LED/GTO/compass/FLA (Relates to dimming mirrors)
61120434330 Retrofit wire, rearview, electrochromat (Relates to dimming mirrors)
VO (vehicle option) coding 430

If you'd go for folding mirrors only, I believe this should get you a long way:
67137191402 Drive, outside mirror left $84.48
67137191405 Drive, outside mirror right $84.48
67136940596 WIRING SET ELECTR.EXTERIOR MIRRORS (2X) $27.37
VO (vehicle option) coding 313

good luck and looking forward to your DIY thread shortly

eeghie:

WOW! This is amazing! Thank you so much for compiling such a list. I will be heading to my local garage to see if the people there can help me do this. I am far from a mechanic, but hopefully they will allow me to be there while they work on this so I can take pics and post a write up.

I also need to check how much all this will cost if I ordered it and shipped to Hong Kong!

-mike.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
eeghie:

WOW! This is amazing! Thank you so much for compiling such a list. I will be heading to my local garage to see if the people there can help me do this. I am far from a mechanic, but hopefully they will allow me to be there while they work on this so I can take pics and post a write up.

I also need to check how much all this will cost if I ordered it and shipped to Hong Kong!

-mike.
Welcome, and I'm happy to be challenged on this list. Will you go for 430 (including interior an exterior dimming mirrors) or 313 (folding mirrors)? If the former be aware that there are so other choices for the mirrors surface that may be more in line with HK's legislation. (Check 1M/M3 Electric Mirror Glass choices).
Finally I just realized that you most likely have a RHD, and the RHD 430 scenario has a different shopping list for mirror glass and 60x parts:
67137842603 Wiring harness, electr. dr mirror, left
67137842604 Wiring harness, electr. dr mirror, right
using RealOEM dot com or equivalent you or your dealer/installer should be able to work that out.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Welcome, and I'm happy to be challenged on this list. Will you go for 430 (including interior an exterior dimming mirrors) or 313 (folding mirrors)? If the former be aware that there are so other choices for the mirrors surface that may be more in line with HK's legislation. (Check 1M/M3 Electric Mirror Glass choices).
Finally I just realized that you most likely have a RHD, and the RHD 430 scenario has a different shopping list for mirror glass and 60x parts:
67137842603 Wiring harness, electr. dr mirror, left
67137842604 Wiring harness, electr. dr mirror, right
using RealOEM dot com or equivalent you or your dealer/installer should be able to work that out.
i think i will go with the folding mirrors and i assume that comes with the tilting of the passenger side mirror when I go into reverse right?

im still debating about this...but the need for dimming mirrors isnt that needed for me

again i wanna say thank you so much for helping me out!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

I was told that it's not possible to retro-fit the folding mirror option to a car without power seat option?

I suspect that means it's not practical to do so, as if you throw enough money at a problem, anything is possible.

Same with the Nav system. Being a UK spec car it will have Euro maps loaded to the HDD. Given that the maps are updatable, pressumbaly a BMW dealer (for a suitable huge fee ) can reloaded the maps for the Asia area..?
      05-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///1rider View Post
I got my car european coded (i live in the us) but when i hold down my lock button my mirrors fold up and when you unlock the car they automatically fold down. Im sure you can find someone to provide coding for you. You just have to find someone!
Sounds like #9 in the coding list of the following thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...54&postcount=1
      05-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
i think i will go with the folding mirrors and i assume that comes with the tilting of the passenger side mirror when I go into reverse right?
A little easier and cheaper. Yes tilting passenger mirror will come with the coding of VO $313 folding mirrors. As mentioned in the overview, I'm not a 100% sure if the tilting passenger mirror will work without the new window lifter switch, as per the user manual you need to set it in a certain position for this to be active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
I was told that it's not possible to retro-fit the folding mirror option to a car without power seat option?

I suspect that means it's not practical to do so, as if you throw enough money at a problem, anything is possible....
Sounds like you've been talking to someone who's not willing to admit they do not know how to do that and not willing to learn (dealers etc!?). For example I've looked into and it's probably possible to make even 3M's EDC work on the 1M Coupe, yet no-one that is in the business of making money of BMW owners would ever help you with that (neither will I, as i'm going with KW V3 DDC ;-).

Wrt the price of retrofitting, parts or kit prices can be surprisingly cheap and if you can do the labor and coding yourself, it is usually around or below the new vehicle option price. It will be far more expensive when you're replacing expensive original parts, like non-memory seats etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

eeghie:

I am looking to get the DDC for my 1M as well. Some of Hong Kong's roads are bumpy as hell, but some are great to have a nice spirited night of driving.

Thanks again for all the help, I'm going to look up getting this stuff done asap (after work that is). I don't have power seats, and have always wanted to get that optioned added on later, but it seems to be a HUGE hassle.

So just to confirm....its possible to add the tilting and power folding if I DO NOT have the power seats yea?

THANKS AGAIN!!!!! THIS FORUM HAS PROVEN TO BE A GREAT SOURCE OF INFO ONCE AGAIN!!!

MUCH MUCH APPRECIATED AND THANKS
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
A little easier and cheaper. Yes tilting passenger mirror will come with the coding of VO $313 folding mirrors. As mentioned in the overview, I'm not a 100% sure if the tilting passenger mirror will work without the new window lifter switch, as per the user manual you need to set it in a certain position for this to be active.

Sounds like you've been talking to someone who's not willing to admit they do not know how to do that and not willing to learn (dealers etc!?). For example I've looked into and it's probably possible to make even 3M's EDC work on the 1M Coupe, yet no-one that is in the business of making money of BMW owners would ever help you with that (neither will I, as i'm going with KW V3 DDC ;-).

Wrt the price of retrofitting, parts or kit prices can be surprisingly cheap and if you can do the labor and coding yourself, it is usually around or below the new vehicle option price. It will be far more expensive when you're replacing expensive original parts, like non-memory seats etc.
+1. Power folding and tilting has nothing to do with power/memory seats, they are just packed together. In a lot of places you can order and have a manual seat with mirror package. My car is one of them with manual seats, heated and also power lumbar support, plus mirror package which includes not only tilting and folding but also auto chrome inside and outside mirrors. So, everything is possible as long as you talk with the right people like eeghie mentioned before.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
+1. Power folding and tilting has nothing to do with power/memory seats, they are just packed together. In a lot of places you can order and have a manual seat with mirror package. My car is one of them with manual seats, heated and also power lumbar support, plus mirror package which includes not only tilting and folding but also auto chrome inside and outside mirrors. So, everything is possible as long as you talk with the right people like eeghie mentioned before.
what is auto chrome if you dont mind me asking such a noob question??

thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #21
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
what is auto chrome if you dont mind me asking such a noob question??

thanks!!!
Ooops sorry, confusing languages here I mean auto dimming!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:

So just to confirm....its possible to add the tilting and power folding if I DO NOT have the power seats yea?

Correct, I am 100% sure of that. I do plan to prove this later this year, but you're welcome to beat me to it.
Appreciate 0