BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #23
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

You should see my problems with my g35... > 3qts burned in 3kmi, and when you let off the gas under heavy acceleration (eg to shift) a LOUD RAAAAAAAAAT sound (like old 1inch glasspacks on a mexicans lowrider)

Infiniti dealer says all is normal... could explain it over and over and over and prove my friends identical g35 doesnt have that problem and they refuse to do anything for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #24
Night1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Update:

The Service Manager at the BMW dealership actually took my Riss Racing intake off and put a stock intake on to test my car, and found out that my problem is not being caused by the Riss Racing intake. That was very nice of them to do that and it saved me the hassle of having to pick up my car, swap intakes, etc. :w00t:

They received authorization this morning to update the software in my car. They said that the new update offers performance enhancements and might solve the problem. If not, they will continue to explore further.

I mentioned all the possibilities to the Service Manager, including oil in the clutch, bad clutch, boost leak in the intake system, etc. He says he will explore these possibilities and get into the mechanical repairs if the software update is unsuccessful.

In the meantime, I've been without my baby for a week, and this 328i loaner is sooooooooo weak on power. I miss my car! :wub:
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #25
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night1 View Post
Update:

The Service Manager at the BMW dealership actually took my Riss Racing intake off and put a stock intake on to test my car, and found out that my problem is not being caused by the Riss Racing intake. That was very nice of them to do that and it saved me the hassle of having to pick up my car, swap intakes, etc. :w00t:

They received authorization this morning to update the software in my car. They said that the new update offers performance enhancements and might solve the problem. If not, they will continue to explore further.

I mentioned all the possibilities to the Service Manager, including oil in the clutch, bad clutch, boost leak in the intake system, etc. He says he will explore these possibilities and get into the mechanical repairs if the software update is unsuccessful.

In the meantime, I've been without my baby for a week, and this 328i loaner is sooooooooo weak on power. I miss my car! :wub:

The fact that they actually though an intake could have ANYTHING to do with this, or that a software update is going to fix it is just absurd. There is no possible way software could cause a disconnect between engine RPM and vehicle speed on a car with a manual transmission. They're trying to avoid the real problem, which is an issue with the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #26
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post

The fact that they actually thought an intake could have ANYTHING to do with this, or that a software update is going to fix it is just absurd. There is no possible way software could cause a disconnect between engine RPM and vehicle speed on a car with a manual transmission. They're trying to avoid the real problem, which is an issue with the clutch.
I agree - but they have to follow BMW Protocol, or they won't get paid for the repair.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #27
Night1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I agree - but they have to follow BMW Protocol, or they won't get paid for the repair.
Yeah, I agree that's what's going on here.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #28
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Update:

I wonder what version of software you will get?
      12-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #29
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
This sounds exactly like the problem I have been having. Clutch slips immediately after an up-change. Car hesitates or sometimes jerks a bit while the clutch is struggling to grip, then it goes as normal.

FYI. I've already had my clutch and gearbox replaced as when BMW opened it up they discovered that oil was leaking into the clutch. This was causing the slip when you change gear and it eventually caused my clutch to be completely fried. Unfortunately for me, even after having everything replaced it has started doing it again so it is going back to the dealer after xmas.

Anyway, the point is, that slip after a gearchange is almost certainly caused by oil in the clutch. PM me if you want further details. I'm 99% sure that the clutch mechanism would be the same between a 123d and a 135i.
I was thinking the same thing. It could be the input shaft seal has sprung a leak and is soaking the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #30
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm sure that's the case. I just can't believe BMW would want them to waste the additional time on something that's obviously not the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #31
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

They start with things that might work, but are relatively inexpensive. Then they move up the ladder from there. The idea is to save themseves money.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #32
imdanomite
likes boobies ( o )( o )
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

^^ ding ding ding! that's right. why pay the tech hours on hours to pull a tranny off? start with the easy, low paying jobs first.

you'd be surprised at what an aftermarket intake can do. luckily, the N54 engine doesn't really utilize the HFM except to measure intake temp.

i haven't seen any clutch issues with the N54 w/ manual trans. these days, programming will fix majority of the problems...believe it or not.

keep up posted on the outcome!!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #33
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdanomite View Post
^^ ding ding ding! that's right. why pay the tech hours on hours to pull a tranny off? start with the easy, low paying jobs first.

you'd be surprised at what an aftermarket intake can do. luckily, the N54 engine doesn't really utilize the HFM except to measure intake temp.

i haven't seen any clutch issues with the N54 w/ manual trans. these days, programming will fix majority of the problems...believe it or not.

keep up posted on the outcome!!

There's no chance at all of fixing this issue with programming. It's a complete waste of the tech and customer's time, and makes them look like they're dodging the issue to anyone who knows anything about it.

There is no possible way software can cause a disconnect between the engine and driveline on a car with a manual transmission. Period.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #34
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They start with things that might work, but are relatively inexpensive. .

There's no chance at all of this fixing the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #35
Night1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
There's no chance at all of this fixing the problem.
I will defiintely keep everyone posted if I ever get my freakin' car back!:bangdesk:
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #36
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali@Jlevi SW View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It could be the input shaft seal has sprung a leak and is soaking the clutch.
Do you mean the input shaft in the gearbox? I believe that is what they told me was the problem on my car. So they replaced my gearbox.

But now I have the same problem again So it will be going back to the dealer.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #37
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I will defiintely keep everyone posted if I ever get my freakin' car back!:bangdesk:
Good luck man.
Quote:
Do you mean the input shaft in the gearbox? I believe that is what they told me was the problem on my car. So they replaced my gearbox.

But now I have the same problem again So it will be going back to the dealer.
Yup. I had the same issue on my old E36. The gearbox sprung a leak after I bottomed out hard one day on a speed bump. Turned out the input shaft seal in the gearbox was leaking fluid all over the place (including the clutch).

Hopefully your local techs can pinpoint and resolve both of you guys' issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #38
Night1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali@Jlevi SW View Post
Good luck man.

Thanks!

Yup. I had the same issue on my old E36. The gearbox sprung a leak after I bottomed out hard one day on a speed bump. Turned out the input shaft seal in the gearbox was leaking fluid all over the place (including the clutch).

Hopefully your local techs can pinpoint and resolve both of you guys' issues.
You know, I didn't even consider that my earlier incident could be connected to this issue. See here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13859

My car did take a good shock hit w that bump but the only damage I noticed underneath the car was one of the 2 bolts that holds the muffler on came off and had to be replaced.

I'll mention that previous incident to the head tech and have him check that out too.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #39
Night1
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

They installed the software update on my car and said that it improved the issue but did not totally eliminate it. No surprise there, right?

They are now dealing directly with a BMW field service engineer who has set up a "PUMA Case." As it was explained to me, they have downloaded data from my car and sent it to the BMW service engineers and are awaiting a response from them.

Of course the holidays are causing a delay in their response, so who knows when I'll see my car again.

Has anyone heard of the PUMA thing before? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #40
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
PUMA is the BMW service database. All warranty issues are logged in there so that techs can find out if problems have occurred before. Hopefully BMW should find other similar cases such as mine to tell them what needs doing.

And I'm not surprised that a software update was unable to fix a slipping clutch.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #41
Night1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
PUMA is the BMW service database. All warranty issues are logged in there so that techs can find out if problems have occurred before. Hopefully BMW should find other similar cases such as mine to tell them what needs doing.

And I'm not surprised that a software update was unable to fix a slipping clutch.
I hear ya, thanks. Hopefully they will find what they need.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #42
Night1
Private First Class
Rep

Update: BMW is currently doing a smoke test on my car to check for possible leaks in the vacuum tubes. They admitted today that they have no idea what is wrong with my car. Even 2 BMW field engineers have been sent to inspect it in person, and they are clueless.

If this sh*t continues much longer, I will be looking for a new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #43
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #44
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Quote:
Update: BMW is currently doing a smoke test on my car to check for possible leaks in the vacuum tubes. They admitted today that they have no idea what is wrong with my car. Even 2 BMW field engineers have been sent to inspect it in person, and they are clueless.

If this sh*t continues much longer, I will be looking for a new car.
They will figure it out I'm sure. Do you have the service records of what they have checked. If so give me a call tomorrow I'll see if I can have our techs help nail down the problem...
Appreciate 0