BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
zerbitini
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Performance Exhaust Install ?

Just received my BMW Performance Exhaust for my 2009 135i. Muffler install was easy. My question is about the Y pipe.

There are 4 torx bolts that secure the brace/plate that is immediately below the exhaust pipes. This brace/plate has to be removed to cut one of the two exhausts, so the Y connector pipe can be installed.

Does anyone know what size those bolts are? They look like they might be T-50? I'll need to pick up a Torx socket and want to buy the correct size.

Thanks in advance!
      08-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
zerbitini
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I'll answer my own question... they ARE T-50 bolts ($1.97 for a T-50 Torx socket driver at Home Depot). There are also two 18 mm hex head bolts that need to be removed to get this brace arrangement off.
By far, the hardest part of installing the BMW Performance Exhaust was cutting the two exhaust pipes downstream from the catlytic converters. I used a chain type exhaust/tail pipe cutter since my ramps aren't high enough for me to use a sawzall. Swinging that cutter back and forth several hundred times while laying on your back with your arms over your head isn't easy. Something that I found to be a huge assist, was taking an old road type bike inner tube, and wrapping it repeatedly around the two handles of the wrench. The inner tube acted like a large rubber band, compressing the handles so the cutters had more pressure on them. This allowed me to just swing the tool back and forth, without having to squeeze the handles at the same time. I didn't use the inner tube until I was halfway through the second cut (and my grip was fading). Should have done it from the start.
The new exhaust is AMAZING - I'm very happy with the throaty tone and the burbling you get upon deceleration. NO droning on the highway either.