BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-25-2018, 05:10 PM   #23
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteele41 View Post
Thanks Again Jim; Walnut Blasting ? That sounds interesting

and Marvel Mystery Oil I'm familiar with are you referring to using before or after oil change or both ? and SeaFoam I believe is Good in Gas on occassion (after long drives and / or every 4 fill-ups)

DSteele41
Don't worry about walnut blasting. That process is used on turbocharged direct injected engines like the N54/N55. Those engines are notorious for building up a layer of cooked oil, or coking on the valve stems and intake ports. Since our engines are not directly injected, a mist of fuel keeps our intake tracts relatively clean. If you stick to top-tier fuel, like Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate, the fuel system cleaners in those fuels should provide all the cleaning power your engine needs.
I know a lot of people swear by Seafoam, especially in recreational motorsports like snowmobiling or boating. The problem they are addressing is that of phase separation, where the ethanol in the fuel is absorbing water, which can create a myriad of problems. If you don't store your car for long periods of time, I doubt that you would have any issues. Your fuel injectors are designed to run with nothing but fuel in them, but I wouldn't hesitate to add a little Techron or other fuel system cleaner if I were having issues with rough running, which I am not. If you bought used, as most of us have, it might not hurt to try a little cleaner, because you never know what the last owner may have done. Makes me shudder, sometimes thinking about that!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #24
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i N54 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Don't worry about walnut blasting. That process is used on turbocharged direct injected engines like the N54/N55. Those engines are notorious for building up a layer of cooked oil, or coking on the valve stems and intake ports. Since our engines are not directly injected, a mist of fuel keeps our intake tracts relatively clean. If you stick to top-tier fuel, like Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate, the fuel system cleaners in those fuels should provide all the cleaning power your engine needs.
I know a lot of people swear by Seafoam, especially in recreational motorsports like snowmobiling or boating. The problem they are addressing is that of phase separation, where the ethanol in the fuel is absorbing water, which can create a myriad of problems. If you don't store your car for long periods of time, I doubt that you would have any issues. Your fuel injectors are designed to run with nothing but fuel in them, but I wouldn't hesitate to add a little Techron or other fuel system cleaner if I were having issues with rough running, which I am not. If you bought used, as most of us have, it might not hurt to try a little cleaner, because you never know what the last owner may have done. Makes me shudder, sometimes thinking about that!

minirips2

Copy All above... and to elaborate I did buy used; luckily only 40,000 miles ; just took out old plugs and they look relatively bad for 40000 miles

and on Gas I try to Exxon Premium or Phillips 66 or Shell V-Power which is local to me ; especially since new having had for a few months Ive used SeaFoam on occassion because I dont know how long it set before I got it; and I only drive it on Weekends so it sits all week

any suggestions on other minor to intermediate modifications to do on the 128i to get a little better performance out of it ?

thanks for reply

DSteele41
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #25
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

There are a TON of mods you can do to an N52. Start at the 128i Engine, exhaust mods thread, and open your wallet! Just realize that naturally aspirated engines are on the wrong side of the bang for buck equation. You might get another 50hp out of it, but it will cost a lot. The turbo guys can get great gains with only a tune. Three stage DISA manifold, exhaust headers, and a tune to operate the intake manifold will make good power, but it will be expensive. It will also make you want a limited slip differential. That aint cheap, either!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #26
DSteele41
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i N54 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
There are a TON of mods you can do to an N52. Start at the 128i Engine, exhaust mods thread, and open your wallet! Just realize that naturally aspirated engines are on the wrong side of the bang for buck equation. You might get another 50hp out of it, but it will cost a lot. The turbo guys can get great gains with only a tune. Three stage DISA manifold, exhaust headers, and a tune to operate the intake manifold will make good power, but it will be expensive. It will also make you want a limited slip differential. That aint cheap, either!

minirips2
OK with that said... I will just do minor things.... keep for a year or 2 and sell it ...its still way under value and I only drive on weekends...Then Move Up to a Turbo Version
Thanks for the information

DSteele41
Appreciate 0