BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

Well THAT was odd... (E82 factory stereo content)

Out running a few errands this morning. In and out of the car a bunch, so I left the stereo on (automatically shuts off when I shut down, comes back on when I restart the car, as usual). I come back the car after several such cycles and hear a loud buzzing coming from the rear of the cabin. Check in the trunk and underneath to determine it's definitely loudest inside the cabin. Stereo on, stereo off, doesn't change it. Ignition cycled doesn't change it. Nothing seems to affect it. Drive home annoyed with the buzzing in my ears....

Get home, decide to start troubleshooting. Before pulling the fuse I figure I will try to isolate the source. I adjust the balance full left and as I hit +10, the stereo display cuts off and the noise goes away. Cycle the stereo - now everything is fine. No buzzing, all speakers normal. Hmmmm....

Any thoughts on what just happened here? 2009 128i, standard stereo with factory satellite tuner (which was in use when the problem occurred). I hate intermittent electrical problems with a passion, so any suggestions on how to squash this would be most appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
714_2er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
Out running a few errands this morning. In and out of the car a bunch, so I left the stereo on (automatically shuts off when I shut down, comes back on when I restart the car, as usual). I come back the car after several such cycles and hear a loud buzzing coming from the rear of the cabin. Check in the trunk and underneath to determine it's definitely loudest inside the cabin. Stereo on, stereo off, doesn't change it. Ignition cycled doesn't change it. Nothing seems to affect it. Drive home annoyed with the buzzing in my ears....

Get home, decide to start troubleshooting. Before pulling the fuse I figure I will try to isolate the source. I adjust the balance full left and as I hit +10, the stereo display cuts off and the noise goes away. Cycle the stereo - now everything is fine. No buzzing, all speakers normal. Hmmmm....

Any thoughts on what just happened here? 2009 128i, standard stereo with factory satellite tuner (which was in use when the problem occurred). I hate intermittent electrical problems with a passion, so any suggestions on how to squash this would be most appreciated.
Exact same thing happened to me last year, spent 30 minutes in the super market parking lot trying to troubleshoot the issue. Frustration got the better of me, I gave up and went into the supermarket. Came back to my car, started her up and the buzzing was gone. Never happened again.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

That used to happen to mine too. A good bash on the dash with my hand would get rid of it for awhile. I finally removed the unit to clean\inspect the connections and it hasn't done it since...

ianc
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 06:21 AM   #4
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep

Seemed like it might be a connection issue. If it happens again, I'll pull the head unit and clean up the contacts. Thanks folks.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
Jorgensen54
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/AG 135i 6MT

This happened to me not too long ago. Turned out to be my aux cable touching the base of the power passenger seat.
      09-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgensen54 View Post
This happened to me not too long ago. Turned out to be my aux cable touching the base of the power passenger seat.
Interesting. I do have an AUX cable in place - I'll have to make sure it's secured. Thanks.
Appreciate 0