BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Exclamation Please help diagnose PDC & iDrive Issue

Fellow 1ers, your time & assistance please.

The PDC function & visuals on the iDrive has stopped working in the last week and I'm hoping members who are familiar with it can help with the diagnoses.

Some points:
  • Car is a 2011 E82 135i (coupe)
  • Car starts and does not display any warnings / errors codes (as checked via the inbuilt check in the iDrive (Vehicle, Vehicle Status)
  • Car can drive normally
  • Car can reverse normally
  • Car's reverse lights are all functioning
  • All PDC related fuses (2) checked, all OK
  • Car (when in reverse) no longer has "beeps" as triggered by PDC sensors when getting close to obstacles
  • Car (when in reverse) no longer triggers the visual on the iDrive showing the car and the PDC radar-like displays, just stays in whatever menu it was in prior to putting the car in reverse.

I have read elsewhere that the cause may be due to water / humidity damage to the PDC module in the rear right of the boot... I will be looking at that in coming days.

My question to everyone is whether or not a failure of that PDC module will actually result in the visual not appearing on the iDrive?

To me it makes sense because I'm also aware that some E82s did not come with PDC (rear) standard and so the iDrive (professional) would need to know from somewhere when to flip it to that screen. The most logical trigger would be the 'PDC module' as it is the conduit between the 4 sensors and the iDrive.

Has anyone else experienced this and can confirm, or has/can anyone unplug their PDC module to see if you get the same result (i.e. normal reverse operation but without audio / visual PDC functions).

Just trying to work down the items that may be in need of attention, would rather not be replacing sensors / modules if I don't need to.

Thanks in advance!

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 02:53 AM   #2
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

I had this happen, sounds like the PDC module has gone Kaput.

Its easy to take out and check it

You have to take the right hand boot liner out and sits in the bottom right hand quarter panel in the boot.

If the PCD blows you get nothing from the Idrive
Appreciate 0