04-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #133
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
What's the point?

I have no nav, but I have the iPhone/BT through the stereo.

Current setup:

iPhone 4s set up via BT for phone only
iPod separately docked in the pouch and connected to the USB port via the standard Mac cable

Can anyone see a benefit to me docking the phone? It seems like it would be a PITA to remove the case each time and dock it. Right now things are pretty easy. I hop in and the BT pairs fine. I leave the iPod in the car and I can navigate those tracks fine via the radio.
Some minor arguments exist for me, mainly I would not mind getting out of the car with a fully charged phone, and not having to toggle on/off Bluetooth which outside the car would shorten the battery life if I forget to turn it off.

I have your setup (stripper; no NAV and no combox) and wonder if it works to use the Iphone BT connection for phone functionality and between calls with the same Iphone connected via USB cable to play stored music?

Another question on your setup: is your IPod charged through the standard (white? or Y-cable?) MAC USB cable
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:55 AM   #134
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I guess that BMW won't release a snap-in adapter (cradle) for the 1M suitable to host a Samsung Galaxy S5.

As a matter of fact, even if you remove the existing cradle under the armrest, the size of the smartphone is still too big (you got to put it a bit diagonal, otherwise the armrest cannot be closed). A Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini might fit, though. So if a snap-in adapter will be made available for the Samsung Galaxy S5, it will be for the "mini" version, I assume.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 doesn't fit either inside the "pigeon hole" left of the steering wheel (EURO spec 1M).

Can't speak for other phablets such as the iPhone 6 Plus, but I guess that it faces the same issue: size matters. ...oh, except if they make a bent cradle.

12-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #135
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

I'm guessing with all the massive phones coming out, the next snapin adapter would also need to include part of the arm rest to allow for a larger opening. I don't see BMW doing that...

Since my car is under a car cover for the winter, has anyone looked to see if we can modify ours to fit a newer snap in adapter from another model car? I'd buy a spare arm rest area and hack it if I had to...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #136
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

I think the bigger problem is whether iDrive can communicate properly with iOS 7 and 8 or Android 5 - not really aware of new snap-ins that works with Android phones, and even iPhone 5S can only do music and not video and certainly no iPhone 6 snap-ins (plug is the same as 5S just sizing that mattered). I'm not an iPhone user but had an old iPhone 4S to run the M-Laptimer and BMW Connected (mostly to compare the fuel gauge vs actual amount of fuel left) - the 4S is still on iOS 7 and can play video with the latest snap-in that was made with the old connector
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #137
MarkTopper
Rep
Drives: BMW 1

Promising iPhone 6 adapter solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
I think the bigger problem is whether iDrive can communicate properly with iOS 7 and 8 or Android 5 - not really aware of new snap-ins that works with Android phones, and even iPhone 5S can only do music and not video and certainly no iPhone 6 snap-ins (plug is the same as 5S just sizing that mattered). I'm not an iPhone user but had an old iPhone 4S to run the M-Laptimer and BMW Connected (mostly to compare the fuel gauge vs actual amount of fuel left) - the 4S is still on iOS 7 and can play video with the latest snap-in that was made with the old connector
Hi I used for my iPhone 5 a adapter in where an Lightning to 30 pin connector can be placed. This overcome the audio issues I had when I use the lightning connector directly.It works very good. It seems they have now also a solution for the iPhone 6. http://www.bmw-iphone-adapter-cradle.com.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #138
number15
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is

Reviving this WAY-old thread to see if anyone has heard of a snap-in-to-lightning adaptor. I am going for a unique set-up for my 135is.
- I use bluetooth for calls / audio books
- I have a 160gb iPod Classic hard-wired under the arm-rest to the USB / Aux jack.
- I want to set up an AirEnabler (in-car Wifi) to be able to use Airplay from my iphone right into the system. It has superior sound compared to streaming bluetooth (very audible by me).

What would solve the issue: Running a lightning cable from the clip-in-adaptor out to where my phone is (clipped to the air vent, nice and clean, I hide the wire under the console and only the tip shows)

This would allow me to use air-enabler etc. and essentially have 2 wired sources and 1 bluetooth source. WOOHOOO!!

I'm googling like crazy- and I can do a DIY, but any advice would be great.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50