BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2022, 01:03 PM   #1
ialivciuc@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Alignment specs

Hi gangs,
I`m looking for some advice around a "compromise" alignment specs
My car (2012 135i) is bone stock as of now and I`m about to install the following mods next week:
Front M3 lower control arms
Rear Subframe M3 Bushings
ST XTA suspension

That is my daily summer car, no plans to build a solid track car (as for now )
I`ll be doing 3-4 TimeAttack events, couple of AutoCross sessions and daily rides this season.
Tires as for now 225\40 front, 255\35 rear (potentially will go with a squared setup 245 or 255 in the future).

Could you share your alignment specs and recommend something for my "build" based on your experience, please?
I have some specs in mind, however, would like to hear you as well.

Btw, any tips or proper setup config for ST XTA?

Thanks in advance!
Max
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 02:56 PM   #2
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

My car started out as a daily and has turned into a track/canyon only. The alignment I was running for a while it was still a daily is as follows.

front -2 camber +.05 toe
rear -1.2 camber + 0.5 toe

I ran this with 205 square on the factory wheels and it definitely prone to understeer at the limit but was still fun to drive.

My current setup for track use is

front -2.4 0 toe
rear -2.1 0 toe

I do not recommend this alignment. The rear has far to much camber relative to the front and the only reason I have that much is to fit my current tires. I have a set of vorshlang plates that I'll be putting on shortly to hopefully get me somewhere between -3 to -3.5 camber upfront. Also, 0 toe all around is pretty terrible. Any little bump tosses the car around and it does not feel stable at high speed in a straight line, but the initial turn-in response is really nice. I will probably try to have a little toe-in in the rear but leave the front at 0 and see how that works for me.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
ialivciuc@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytro98 View Post
My car started out as a daily and has turned into a track/canyon only. The alignment I was running for a while it was still a daily is as follows.

front -2 camber +.05 toe

I ran this with 205 square on the factory wheels and it definitely prone to understeer at the limit but was still fun to drive.

front -2.4 0 toe
rear -2.1 0 toe

I do not recommend this alignment. The rear has far to much camber relative to the front and the only reason I have that much is to fit my current tires. I have a set of vorshlang plates that I'll be putting on shortly to hopefully get me somewhere between -3 to -3.5 camber upfront. Also, 0 toe all around is pretty terrible. Any little bump tosses the car around and it does not feel stable at high speed in a straight line, but the initial turn-in response is really nice. I will probably try to have a little toe-in in the rear but leave the front at 0 and see how that works for me.
Thanks man, much appreciated for the detailed information!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 04:20 PM   #4
ByeByeVTEC
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Any issues with front tire wear?

I just picked up a '12 135i and the inside of both front tires is absoluetely gone. I have an alignment sheet from the previous owner from 2021 that shows similar specs to yours (0 toe, -2.8° Camber) but I don't really believe it. Such low camber figures (compared to what I used to run on Honda's) should not cause such extreme inside tire wear if Toe is at zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytro98 View Post

front -2 camber +.05 toe

front -2.4 0 toe
rear -2.1 0 toe

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 09:51 AM   #5
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

As much front camber as you can get, and about a degree less in the rear. zero toe in the front, very slightly in in the rear.

Go straight to aluminum rear subframe bushings, don't bother with the half step M3 ones. There is no real downside.
Appreciate 1
houtan701.00
      06-17-2023, 01:18 AM   #6
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
As much front camber as you can get, and about a degree less in the rear. zero toe in the front, very slightly in in the rear.

Go straight to aluminum rear subframe bushings, don't bother with the half step M3 ones. There is no real downside.
I agree with this but would recommend a tad bit of toe out in the front for a street car to help it track and not want to follow any seems/cracks, etc. I ran 3.4* in the front and 2.5 in the rear, daily drive the car and auto-x/track day the car and never had issues with tire wear. I would recommend a set of street tires that are not inside/outside specific or directional so they can be rotated and flipped when necessary. Race tires won't matter. You can also run 255s up front with that much camber, at least 265 in the rear.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 1
houtan701.00
      06-19-2023, 09:09 AM   #7
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPuehl View Post
I agree with this but would recommend a tad bit of toe out in the front for a street car to help it track and not want to follow any seems/cracks, etc.
Toe out in the front is going to make the car "tramline" worse, but snappier on turn-in on track. A street alignment will typically have toe in. I haven't noticed a lot of wandering with zero front toe though so that's always what I recommend for a dual use car..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 11:47 AM   #8
jay128i
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialivciuc@gmail.com View Post
Hi gangs,
I`m looking for some advice around a "compromise" alignment specs
My car (2012 135i) is bone stock as of now and I`m about to install the following mods next week:
Front M3 lower control arms
Rear Subframe M3 Bushings
ST XTA suspension

That is my daily summer car, no plans to build a solid track car (as for now )
I`ll be doing 3-4 TimeAttack events, couple of AutoCross sessions and daily rides this season.
Tires as for now 225\40 front, 255\35 rear (potentially will go with a squared setup 245 or 255 in the future).

Could you share your alignment specs and recommend something for my "build" based on your experience, please?
I have some specs in mind, however, would like to hear you as well.

Btw, any tips or proper setup config for ST XTA?

Thanks in advance!
Max
Wow this is my exact setup as of right now haha, I would love to know some good answers as well!!
Appreciate 0