06-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #23
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I have to agree. The diff has its issues but overall it makes the car cool and engaging to drive. Maybe it's just me. When I was 15 I went stayed at a horse Ranch for a week. I was a city kid and learned to ride a horse. They put me on the most docile horses they had. It was nice for a couple of days but they had a Mustang that was huge and awesome looking. He would snort and headbutt other horses. He would periodically stand on his hind legs and the cowboy would have to calm him down. I kept asking if I could ride him and they told me no until the last day. Finally I climbed on top of the beast. It took way more skill and effort to keep him going but when he galloped it was scary and fast. I was a little scared the whole time. Finally we made it back to the ranch safe and sound and I was so excited I got off too fast and my boot got caught in the stirrup. The horse moved and knowing a friend was dragged to death like this a year before I panicked and kicked the horse in the side to push away. The horse kicked me and when I was in the ground tried to stomp me. I rolled into a ditch and the cowboys saved me. I never rode a horse again but I don't remember any of the docile horses I rode all week. I only remember riding that wild mustang now 35 years later!

So if you're into smooth and docile that's ok but sometimes the most memorable rides are a little wild and a little scary. The world is full of OSHA approved comfy rides. Some of us appreciate something a little different.
Classic post, bravo!
      06-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #24
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

I think some of you have taken my post the wrong way. I’m not into smooth and docile, I’m into precision. The 1M doesn’t drive like BMW’s of old, it’s not the natural successor to the E30 despite what some folks say. From a performance driving perspective the viscolok diff is a horrible clunky thing. An older E36 diff is a normal LSD and far easier to drive on the limit as a result. There’s a very good reason why many serious drivers upgrade the viscolok to a plated clutch type.

The viscolok is great for everyday driving and safety giving more grip than an open diff especially in mixed friction conditions. In my opinion it has no place on a short wheelbase performance car designed to be a ‘drivers car’. Many drivers like to be able to steer with the throttle and be in control at all times. The stock diff makes that real hard because given a consistent torque input from the engine the diff will lock and unlock itself unsettling the rear end.

I guess the folks that like it, including journalists, like the slightly wild uncontrollable nature of it. It’s obvious though those people aren’t driving near the limit. Give it a poke the rear kicks out suddenly and they giggle giddily then go back to normal driving. It’s perfect for that style of everyday joe having a bit of naughty fun in 2nd gear driving. Not for me though I’m afraid, I prefer LSD’s that lock up on torque from throttle application not wheel speed difference. That gives me confidence in the car and I can have some proper fun.
Appreciate 3
gmx166.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
      06-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #25
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
I think some of you have taken my post the wrong way. I'm not into smooth and docile, I'm into precision. The 1M doesn't drive like BMW's of old, it's not the natural successor to the E30 despite what some folks say.
A) do you own a 1M?
B) if the answer is yes; WHY?

I would think very few people bought the 1M as a "precision" tool. Not sure why you would want that and buy a 1M. It's not a technical mastershow; it's a corporate-built hotrod with emphasis on fun factor. It's not a homologation race car like the E30 M3 but it channels the spirit of the E30 M3 for sure. Regardless of the details of the diff. The diff used in the 1M is identical to the M3 it's not like it was made bespoke for this car...
      06-14-2018, 06:47 AM   #26
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Back at you,

A) Do you own a 1M?
B) If the answer is yes; do you drive with aids off?
C) If the answer is yes; how on earth is your back end so numb to feel how the diff is influencing the chassis

I think anyone here disputing this got a free Drexler / Clutch type LSD fitted, they'd say it's even more engaging.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #27
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say the 1M channels the inner spirit of the E30 M3. Overall length notwithstanding, the two are actually very different. Aside from the free-revving motor, the E30 M3 is pretty docile and it's handling is extremely predictable. The 1M has boost-bomb torque delivery. With the nannies off, it can be really entertaining, but not really in a confidence-inspiring way.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #28
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
A) do you own a 1M?
B) if the answer is yes; WHY?

I would think very few people bought the 1M as a "precision" tool. Not sure why you would want that and buy a 1M. It's not a technical mastershow; it's a corporate-built hotrod with emphasis on fun factor. It's not a homologation race car like the E30 M3 but it channels the spirit of the E30 M3 for sure. Regardless of the details of the diff. The diff used in the 1M is identical to the M3 it's not like it was made bespoke for this car...
I’ve owned one for 3 years. I’ll humour your silly question and say that I own it for a multitude of reasons, but in all honesty I am a little disappointed in how it handled stock and even now with Öhlins/Recaros/Akrapovic/Custom tune etc whilst a capable car when driven to about 8/10ths when you push that little bit further it lacks the confidence inspiring predictability of a truly great drivers car.
I’m not bashing the 1M as a whole I’m just pointing out some pretty obvious handling characteristics that even bmw acknowledged to be present and I believe that is largely due to the diff.

I also like I assume everyone here didn’t get the opportunity to drive a 1M in that way before purchasing it so some of that was taken on faith hence the marginal disappointment later on. I have since driven in inclement weather on twisty roads I’d previously driven my Evo on and rather than having fun with friends I was having a little bit of a battle keeping it on the road even at a moderate pace. With the traction right off you can really feel what the diff is doing and it’s not helpful when it exhibits those ‘mind of it’s own’ moments.

I can see the appeal of the M2 and M2CS is largely the same smaller chassis fun factor but the predictable nature of their electronic diffs would really reward pushing hard and allow non professional race drivers (ie 99% of us) to get closer to the limit and really have a great time without risking binning it. For most folks one of those would probably make the better buy. The 1M will always be cool and I love it for that but I have no doubt in my mind that the M2CS is the better drivers car.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #29
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

I dearly miss my 1M, but have the M2C coming soon. I'm happy I had the chance to own one. And that being said, I probably won't pay the premium again to buy a 1M when I can have a new M2C at MSRP for the same price or slightly less.

Going M2C for a few reasons, but mainly that BMW is doing this familiar thing where they take M goodies off the M3/4 and stuff them in a smaller package -- and that reminds me of the 1M.

Did I mention I miss my 1M? Every day!
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #30
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I think the S55 is magnificent, but 1M steering will not be duplicated, possibly ever again.

The smaller GT wheel in the Cayman is close, but it is lighter than the 1M, I give the edge to the 1M.

If you want to drive fast all the time and feel very connected to the road at the limit, M2 is very capable. It is very easy to drive fast, turn all the nannies off and go, the tech just makes it simple, but possibly less engaging.

If you want to feel (through the wheel) the back end connecting a little slower, sometimes awkwardly on a twisty turn, or even struggling then shooting you out of a corner, keeping you on your toes, because it does not drive as easily...and you love how that feels, even if it is less sophisticated, then you will love 1M.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #31
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
I dearly miss my 1M, but have the M2C coming soon. I'm happy I had the chance to own one. And that being said, I probably won't pay the premium again to buy a 1M when I can have a new M2C at MSRP for the same price or slightly less.

Going M2C for a few reasons, but mainly that BMW is doing this familiar thing where they take M goodies off the M3/4 and stuff them in a smaller package -- and that reminds me of the 1M.

My issue is I bought my 1M at MSRP, did ED, drive the Ring in it and have great Octoberfest memories. So no pricing premium and a great love affair!

So, I decided to keep the 1M, keep the M2 PE(both are paid for) and passing on my #1 spot for M2C.
      07-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #32
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
Quote:

My issue is I bought my 1M at MSRP, did ED, drive the Ring in it and have great Octoberfest memories. So no pricing premium and a great love affair!

So, I decided to keep the 1M, keep the M2 PE(both are paid for) and passing on my #1 spot for M2C.
Quote:
Quote:

Dang! You've got it made in the shade then. The one other BMW I will be looking out for will be a Euro market E36 M3. That could hold its value like the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #33
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
In the last 2 days I've driven both my 11k miles 1M and my 2k miles M2 Performance Edition and now I have a "issue". My plan was to get M2C and then decide between M2PE and M2C. But now I find I like the M2PE better then 1M.

The exhaust, the power, and then factor in I love the DCT in my M4. May end up selling both and going with M2C.

Thoughts?
How rich are you to own 1m, m2, and m4? like WTF
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #34
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney135i View Post
Quote:
In the last 2 days I've driven both my 11k miles 1M and my 2k miles M2 Performance Edition and now I have a "issue". My plan was to get M2C and then decide between M2PE and M2C. But now I find I like the M2PE better then 1M.

The exhaust, the power, and then factor in I love the DCT in my M4. May end up selling both and going with M2C.

Thoughts?
Not rich but a somewhat successful(in spite of myself) business owner. Things with wheels are my addict! You wouldn't believe the entire listen of over 100 wheels.
      07-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #35
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

good choice sir!!! you won't regret it
      07-12-2018, 11:20 PM   #36
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney135i View Post
I was jumped on a few weeks ago for my posts about all the cars I own and certain aspects of my lifestyle, including traveling. It annoyed me at the time especially coming from some people on this forum who I thought were above that sort of comment.

Truth be told, we should be happy in other peoples' successes; they don't diminish us, and they show that if we hang in there and take advantage of opportunities that are all around us, we, may too, succeed. The fact that Bill Gates has 12 houses or Bezos has 14, doesn't make my 1 or 2 any less valuable to me.

Opportunities to advance present themselves to most people over their lifetimes; most don't take advantage of them, and in a few of those cases they will have proven to have missed out. I get pitched investment opportunities all the time; most don't interest me, but I try to listen to every one of them, just in case that I might miss out bigtime because I wasn't willing to even listen. Sometimes the offer doesn't interest me but the person doing the offering does. That usually means (to me) that making that person's acquaintance and checking in with them from time to time, might present another opportunity to me that I should take more seriously. So I do. I'd advise other people here who feel that maybe they are left out to take a few more chances and take more stock of opportunities that we all are presented with, from time to time.

Truly rich people do not post on forums like this. The fact that your 3 M cars would draw attention is really more a reflection of not realizing how much you need to have to really be rich, and that 3 vehicles that in the aggregate wouldn't buy a current model Porsche Turbo, just doesn't represent all that much wealth in the end, anyway.

And who cares? Again, what you have does not diminish what I have, or the value of what I have to me.

I salute you and congratulate your for your success, and maybe some of your success will rub off on me.
      07-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #37
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:

I would SELL the M2 and KEEP the 1M here are some of the reasons..

-M2's value is going to drop sharply after the first M2CS deliveries
-N54 >N55
- No point in having two M2's and its a waste they are almost the same
- 1M will hold its value and continue going up for years to come
- 1M is becoming rarer by the day
-1M has the fastest steering rack bmw ever put in a car (my favorite rack ever)

My next car is going to be a Canadian import 1M or S54 M Coupe.. if i am feeling lucky I might even buy a Japanese import M3 CSL which is now legal in Canada

Last edited by mercedesc63; 07-12-2018 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #38
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesc63 View Post

-N54 >N55

My next car is going to be a Canadian import 1M or S54 M Coupe.. if i am feeling lucky I might even buy a Japanese import M3 CSL which is now legal in Canada
Meh.

Don't buy cars as an investment. Buy cars because you want to own them, and when you no longer want to own them, sell them.

I own three cars right now that are either holding their values or appreciating. I did not buy any of them for that reason, and I would not hesitate to sell any of them once I decided that I no longer wanted to own them.

There are all sorts of things worth investing in, generally assets that throw off money. Cars suck up money. Occasionally you can find someone who will pay you more for a car you bought than what you paid for it, but don't count on it, plus it ruins the fun of cars as a hobby.
02M3ForMe4255.50
      07-13-2018, 05:41 AM   #39
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:

-N54 >N55

Meh.

Don't buy cars as an investment. Buy cars because you want to own them, and when you no longer want to own them, sell them.

I own three cars right now that are either holding their values or appreciating. I did not buy any of them for that reason, and I would not hesitate to sell any of them once I decided that I no longer wanted to own them.

There are all sorts of things worth investing in, generally assets that throw off money. Cars suck up money. Occasionally you can find someone who will pay you more for a car you bought than what you paid for it, but don't count on it, plus it ruins the fun of cars as a hobby.
Well said. Having a car and not driving it because it might increase in value is one of the LEAST interesting things one can do...driving it is easily the most interesting thing to do!!
      07-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #40
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:
.......if i am feeling lucky I might even buy a Japanese import M3 CSL which is now legal in Canada
Thread hijack alert.

Why specifically Japan market? Strictly curiosity driving my question.

If you actually find one in Japan you are thinking of bringing over to Canada and want an independent check feel free to contact me. If it is within reasonable driving distance I’ll see if I can help out.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2018, 10:25 AM   #41
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

I felt I should chime in as well... I am a guy that buys and sells cars quickly. I have owned about 30 cars in the last 15 years. Thats kinda crazy to say out loud and I dont want to start thinking about what that actually costs me. However, the 1M has been a car I have now owned for 4 years. That is a very long time in my world and I am not even sure how that happened. All I can say is that I have very much enjoyed it. Sure I have done some basic bolton mods to make it more enjoyable like Ohlins and Akra, etc. But I decided I wanted to drive it to enjoy it. When i had it sitting in my garage as a collector car, i started to dislike it for not appreciating fast enough. When i started to plan and go on roadtrips with my friends, drive trips really, it became a smile maker! I fell in love with it through out ever corner or turn. Its one of these cars that wont ever be built again... for lots or reasons... and yes, there will be faster better cars made. However, you will always look back after selling such a car and think, "I wish I still had it." why? because ownership of a corporate hotrod is cyclical. you fall in and out of love with it and eventually after enough time has past, back in love. go figure... Anyways, love my car. hope i can keep it forever.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 2
10"4946.00
      07-31-2018, 10:30 AM   #42
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmist222777 View Post
I felt I should chime in as well... I am a guy that buys and sells cars quickly. I have owned about 30 cars in the last 15 years. Thats kinda crazy to say out loud and I dont want to start thinking about what that actually costs me. However, the 1M has been a car I have now owned for 4 years. That is a very long time in my world and I am not even sure how that happened. All I can say is that I have very much enjoyed it. Sure I have done some basic bolton mods to make it more enjoyable like Ohlins and Akra, etc. But I decided I wanted to drive it to enjoy it. When i had it sitting in my garage as a collector car, i started to dislike it for not appreciating fast enough. When i started to plan and go on roadtrips with my friends, drive trips really, it became a smile maker! I fell in love with it through out ever corner or turn. Its one of these cars that wont ever be built again... for lots or reasons... and yes, there will be faster better cars made. However, you will always look back after selling such a car and think, "I wish I still had it." why? because ownership of a corporate hotrod is cyclical. you fall in and out of love with it and eventually after enough time has past, back in love. go figure... Anyways, love my car. hope i can keep it forever.
Well said. This is a car meant for driving....the more I drive mine the more I love it. It makes no sense to store it and not drive it...

It's like buying a really wonderful cake and letting it rot away in the fridge because you don't want to ruin it.
      08-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #43
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Well said. This is a car meant for driving....the more I drive mine the more I love it. It makes no sense to store it and not drive it...

It's like buying a really wonderful cake and letting it rot away in the fridge because you don't want to ruin it.
Except for a Camry; I would let that one sit in the garage.
      08-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #44
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say the 1M channels the inner spirit of the E30 M3. Overall length notwithstanding, the two are actually very different. Aside from the free-revving motor, the E30 M3 is pretty docile and it's handling is extremely predictable. The 1M has boost-bomb torque delivery. With the nannies off, it can be really entertaining, but not really in a confidence-inspiring way.
+1
Appreciate 0