BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2020, 12:09 PM   #111
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 325iT

2009 One owner 70k mile: https://www.dulleschryslerdodgejeep....7158e1b6fe.htm
Looks pretty good, I just received some pictures, but it has essentially no options, probably has rust considering where its lived, and I think its priced high.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 12:53 PM   #112
yostuhfoo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Hi Jwal, small world, I came across that 128i in Orlando/Winter Park at JC Auto Market this morning on FB Marketplace (I'm not searching for a 128i but it just popped up in my feed). I came on here to scope out prices for 128i's as I know that spec is quite rare. I read through all 6 pages of this thread, looks like I was a few days late to help you out, I live about 15 minutes from that dealership and have actually been there before to check out one of their other cars. Unfortunately like most small dealerships, I didn't get a good vibe from them.

Good luck in your search. I own a 2010 E90 328i Msport, RWD, 6spd manual and flew up to NC earlier this year to purchase it. Took me about 8-9 months to find a car that met my standards and criteria and still settled on the exterior color lol. Take your time and enjoy the hunt. If you ever find another car down here you want someone to take a look at, let me know.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 01:52 PM   #113
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwal View Post
probably has rust considering where its lived, and I think its priced high.
Maybe but maybe not... My 135i has spent almost a decade in MN and has no rust whatsoever since I don't drive it if there's any salt on the roads. It's possible this one hasn't seen much.

I'm sure it's obvious but - request pictures. Hopefully they'll get some up soon. If they end up taking them for you, consider asking for some specifically in rust prone areas.

Maybe get a jump start on the VIN search? Find out if the car came form somewhere else (especially any areas semi recently flooded).
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #114
xxatticus
1er
Rep
Drives: 128i MSport 6MT - Lemans Blue

Hi all,

Since this is the longest 128i hunt thread I've seen in a while, just wanted to add my story in here for anyone who is searching. I posted on the for sale forum here about two years ago with what I was looking for. I had saved searches set up for 128i manuals on Carmax, Autotrader, cars.com, and had a 128i manual search bookmarked in my toolbar on autotempest that I would check 1x per day. I really wanted an M Sport, Xenons, Harmon Kardon, and Sunroof as I live in CA. I received a message from a member here who lived about an hour away from me after about a year of bumping my thread now and then, with exactly what I was looking for. It was a long wait but well worth it. The member was kind enough to sell me the car at a fair price. 2013 M Sport 6MT with 58,xxx miles at $15k, last year. Nothing wrong with the car. The guy who did the PPI said "If you don't buy this car I will." Hopefully someone can use this price to figure out if they're getting a fair deal or not, and finding what you want is really about covering all the ground, and waiting for something that feels right. She just rolled over 62,xxx mi.

One last edit I wanted to make directed at jwal: Working with dealers long distance can be tough as they usually know they'll move the car locally without a long distance buyers taking it off the lot for PPI and potentially flaking on the flight / drive out. It's risky for them. I found this same car I ended up with in Tennessee before I found mine, and could not get the dealer to call me back after having a good conversation with the sales manager and letting them know I was a serious buyer. Thought I missed my chance. I'd prefer to buy private party over from a dealer any day, which is why I like using Autotempest for searching though each state's craigslists.
Attached Images

Last edited by xxatticus; 12-22-2020 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #115
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Whatever happened with TBone's car: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1772276

It's almost as far away as you could get, but maybe there's an Amtrak car train that runs over there.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #116
yostuhfoo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Whatever happened with TBone's car: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1772276

It's almost as far away as you could get, but maybe there's an Amtrak car train that runs over there.
OP prefers Xenon and sport seats, or at least xenon and that car has neither.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 03:40 PM   #117
background
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 128i,F30 320xi, E90 335xi

I have followed this thread for a few days since I am on the same boat looking for LCI 128i with manual shift and m-sport package. Just a few weeks ago spotted on Craigslist a 2013 128i black on black 6MT and m-sport with rebuilt title. Tried to reach out seller, he finally replied after a couple of weeks since he traveled to FL while the car was in Michigan. We talked over the phone and got more pictures for the minor-moderate front accident and repair, everything looked good to me, nothing damaged frame or engine. Seller replaced hood and front facia with 135i parts. Planned to check out the car (3h drive away) on the weekend when he got back to his Michigan home. I wish I could go on weekdays, unfortunately my kids have to be at home while both my wife and I worked from home, as there were positive Covid cases in my daughter's classroom. Neither of us could work and also take care of a 2Y and a 5Y. On the second night after he returned to Michigan, seller messaged me that the car was sold. It is a 82k miles car for $11000. And I still looking for.

I'd like to hear opinions about, thanks.
1. 128i 6MT transmission was supplied by GM, is it good?
2. how much will cost to swap out an auto transmission for manual?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #118
2008e92328i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by background View Post
I have followed this thread for a few days since I am on the same boat looking for LCI 128i with manual shift and m-sport package. Just a few weeks ago spotted on Craigslist a 2013 128i black on black 6MT and m-sport with rebuilt title. Tried to reach out seller, he finally replied after a couple of weeks since he traveled to FL while the car was in Michigan. We talked over the phone and got more pictures for the minor-moderate front accident and repair, everything looked good to me, nothing damaged frame or engine. Seller replaced hood and front facia with 135i parts. Planned to check out the car (3h drive away) on the weekend when he got back to his Michigan home. I wish I could go on weekdays, unfortunately my kids have to be at home while both my wife and I worked from home, as there were positive Covid cases in my daughter's classroom. Neither of us could work and also take care of a 2Y and a 5Y. On the second night after he returned to Michigan, seller messaged me that the car was sold. It is a 82k miles car for $11000. And I still looking for.

Quote:

I thought only autos were GM tranny and manuals are BMW transmission (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

No idea how much it would cost to swap trannies out but I'd assume not cheap, but definitely possible
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #119
xrockoutx
🤷
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135ix2, e91, e30x2, AE86, s14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008e92328i View Post
I thought only autos were GM tranny and manuals are BMW transmission (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

No idea how much it would cost to swap trannies out but I'd assume not cheap, but definitely possible
Not sure about this, but I can attest to that 128i manual tranny feeling amazing. My 135i feels VERY floppy in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #120
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Quote:
128i 6MT transmission was supplied by GM, is it good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008e92328i View Post
128i manual - Getrag
128i auto - GM
135i manual - ZF
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Last edited by Thunderguts; 12-22-2020 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #121
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrockoutx View Post
Not sure about this, but I can attest to that 128i manual tranny feeling amazing. My 135i feels VERY floppy in comparison.
Huh. That's depressing. I'm thinking of buying a rebuilt transmission in the next few years because 1-3 aren't very pleasant on mine. The previous owner was probably rough on the synchros. I'll agree that 4-6 are one of the best gearboxes I've ever rowed.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 05:13 PM   #122
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

Hey everyone, looks like I have some reading to do, but I got some pictures of the Leesburg, VA car. It's super clean, but I didn't get anything under the car.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uASKhmv97MJarS2v5
There is another one in VA too, but it has has two accidents and you can see rusty fasteners in the engine bay.
      12-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #123
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hey everyone, looks like I have some reading to do, but I got some pictures of the Leesburg, VA car. It's super clean, but I didn't get anything under the car.
Looks very nice! You're sacrificing most of the features you want, but I haven't seen many cleaner than that.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #124
2008e92328i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There is another one in VA too, but it has has two accidents and you can see rusty fasteners in the engine bay.
Quote:
Are you thinking about buying this one? It does look very clean, plus lower miles. Is 11k good deal for a manual base car?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #125
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
That has some of the dumbest pin-stripes I've ever seen on a BMW!
Big bucks for a 2009 base car with leatherette, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #126
2008e92328i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can remove the pin stripes
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #127
2008e92328i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Big bucks for a 2009 base car with leatherette, IMHO. [/QUOTE]

I think the appeal of this car is that it's a low mile one owner and MANUAL transmission.

I will try to get it
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #128
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

https://www.ninestarsauto.com/vdp/16...illy--VA-20152
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #129
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

I don't think I'll pursue the car in Virginia, but I'm glad someone else has an interest in it. I feel like this thread can help several people on their journey to 1 series ownership, which is awesome!
Thanks everyone for posting so much. I also was looking into the rebuilt car in Michigan, but the Florida car showed up at 6,500 at the Toyota dealer near that time. Knowing what I know now I should have bought the Michigan car, but I hope the new owner enjoys it!
      12-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #130
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
2009 One owner 70k mile: https://www.dulleschryslerdodgejeep....7158e1b6fe.htm
Looks pretty good, I just received some pictures, but it has essentially no options, probably has rust considering where its lived, and I think its priced high.
Saw this one too, but is a bit too base for me and also the rust concern.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:32 PM   #131
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxatticus View Post
Hi all,

Since this is the longest 128i hunt thread I've seen in a while, just wanted to add my story in here for anyone who is searching. I posted on the for sale forum here about two years ago with what I was looking for. I had saved searches set up for 128i manuals on Carmax, Autotrader, cars.com, and had a 128i manual search bookmarked in my toolbar on autotempest that I would check 1x per day. I really wanted an M Sport, Xenons, Harmon Kardon, and Sunroof as I live in CA. I received a message from a member here who lived about an hour away from me after about a year of bumping my thread now and then, with exactly what I was looking for. It was a long wait but well worth it. The member was kind enough to sell me the car at a fair price. 2013 M Sport 6MT with 58,xxx miles at $15k, last year. Nothing wrong with the car. The guy who did the PPI said "If you don't buy this car I will." Hopefully someone can use this price to figure out if they're getting a fair deal or not, and finding what you want is really about covering all the ground, and waiting for something that feels right. She just rolled over 62,xxx mi.

One last edit I wanted to make directed at jwal: Working with dealers long distance can be tough as they usually know they'll move the car locally without a long distance buyers taking it off the lot for PPI and potentially flaking on the flight / drive out. It's risky for them. I found this same car I ended up with in Tennessee before I found mine, and could not get the dealer to call me back after having a good conversation with the sales manager and letting them know I was a serious buyer. Thought I missed my chance. I'd prefer to buy private party over from a dealer any day, which is why I like using Autotempest for searching though each state's craigslists.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #132
background
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 128i,F30 320xi, E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxatticus View Post
Hi all,

This is my dream option and color! Definitely worth the wait!
Appreciate 0