2003 E46 330i / 2012 E82 1M / 2015 F80 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Importing 1M into USA

Hello fellow 1Mer,

I have BSM 1M in Korea. I am moving back to the States this Fall and I need to decide whether I sell this here or ship it to the States.

I've heard its extremely hard for non-US vehicle to pass the EPA certification. I need to know if 1M I bought in Korea is identical version as U.S. version. There is an exemption that if its the same version as the US one, it will be relatively easy process. Also, any suggestions to importer/shipping company would be appreciated!

-Ryan

=====

(c) Exemption for Non-U.S. Version Vehicles that are Identical to U.S.
Version Vehicles

The vehicle, prior to importation, is identical in all material respects to a vehicle identified in an OEM's certification application. No Customs bond is required by EPA (see also Section 2.1.2.1 Canadian Vehicles Identical to U.S. Version Vehicles).

Requirements:

● Importer must obtain a letter from the OEM's U.S. representative (see Manufacturer's U.S. Representatives for a list) stating the vehicle (make, model, model year, VIN), at the time of manufacture, conformed to all U.S. emission requirements applicable to the appropriate model year (except possibly for warranty and labeling).
● Importer must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 declaring code "EE" and attach letter from OEM's U.S. representative.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Pretty sure that a South Korea market 1M or any Asian 1M is not the same as a US spec 1M.

I might be wrong but as far as I remember there are three basic versions (with minor differences) of 1M: Euro, NA (US and Canada) and Asian (or maybe just Chinese and not the rest of Asia) which should make homologation cross version a bureacratic nightmare: Better check this recent thread also:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953222
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

You should contact fellow member here who is trying to import his from Switzerland and share information.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953222
Appreciate 0