BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
OC_128i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 128i

N51 advice needed

With your guys help Reading through many posts with great info I was able to figure out my e82 128i is a sulev n51 engine. I spent hours last night searching and reading threads trying to figure out what to do with my current situation.

On Monday, driving all day doing my errands my vehicle operated normally. Later in the afternoon, I pulled over into a parking lot to take a phone call. Having to wait for another call, I waited approx 45min-1 hour with the engine off but ignition on, listening to some music while surfing on my ipad. After getting the call I was waiting for I was ready to depart. Stepping on the brake and pushing the start button, i heard a couple clicks and then nothing. Turned the car completely off, removed key, reinserted key and tried to turn the engine back on again.. nothing. Now a couple weeks ago I was checking the battery and realized the battery being dated 2009 assuming that it was the original battery I was planning to replace it. With this in mind I automatically assumed my battery was dead. I called my roadside service for a jump. While waiting, i noticed my lights worked, dash lit up, radio worked, key fob locked n unlocked the car as well as popping the trunk also worked. Once roadside service arrived the service guy brought a jump box and proceeded to jump the car from the terminals underneath the hood. After a couple min he told me to try starting... nothing. He attempted to jump the car with jumper cables instead... nothing. I ended up having to tow the vehicle home. All day yesterday I tried to figure out what the issue was. I still had myself to believe that it was the battery. Being a little short on cash I found a guy on offerup who sold batteries for bmw for $100 with a 2 year warranty he also would deliver and register the battery as well. I said what the hell contacted him. He arrived attached a jump box using the terminals under the hood so that ecu doesnt reset and replaced the battery. Before registering he told me to try starting the car.... nothing. I went over the symptoms I first experienced the previous night and what was happening now and he said that my car not starting doesnt seem like a battery issue. He guessed that it was either the starter or alternator. He put my original battery back and left. I then went and bought an obd2 reader from oreillys came back home to see if any codes were being thrown out.. scan came back with 3 codes:

P105B, P1056, P140A.

P105B - vvt supply voltage

P1056 - faulty valvtronic motor

P140A - secodary air injection hose

Are my search of code definitions correct? I couldnt figure out if these repairs are covered by the sulev warranty? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

My car is completely stock, currently has 96k miles, auto transmission, n51 sulev engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #2
vegamanx
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i E88

any updates?
3. 2015 Toyota Highlander XLE (wife's mode of transportation)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 05:13 AM   #3
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
OP. It sounds like the battery and you need to start there first. BMWs don't like to have a low battery. If your battery is from 09 it's almost 10 years old now. I'd recommend replacing it.

That said a local Indy shop might be your best bet if it's not starting with the new battery.
      11-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Since SULEV = extended motor warranty I'd start there at a BMW dealer . Especially with:

P1056 - faulty valvetronic motor

P140A - secondary air injection hose

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0