BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sitting

What's this wire?

I've had my car for a while now but decided to take a look at the mobility kit under the trunk yesterday. When I opened it I noticed this red and blue wire with a small harness on it not plugged in anywhere. Should it be and what's it for? the wire in question is in the center bottom of picture.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Don't know, but I have the same thing going on....
      02-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Its used for when the car is transported to the dealer from the factory. I believe (1addicts member)DriveHard has stated this before. Durring the PDI process its left just hanging or secured to the battery area.

Btw... looks like your battery has been replaced. OE batteries are all white I believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I had to disconnect my battery last weekend to try to reset an error message set by fuel cap not being on (didn't work btw, had to use scanner). But yes that wire is loose on my car too. Its supposed to lay forward from where you have it sitting though. Lay pointing forward then slide in between front of battery and trunk.

HOLY CRAP there is an insane of crap attached to the battery btw. Took me 10 minutes to even figure how how to procede with removal of terminals..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
fermat1313
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M, 2002 Honda S200

That's the control wire for the ejector seat. Connect with caution!

2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe | Valencia Orange | ED Ordered May 26, 2011 | Welt Pickup October 25, 2011 | PCD Pickup January 3, 2012
2002 Honda S2000 | Suzuka Blue | Purchased in 2012 with 81k miles.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Its used for when the car is transported to the dealer from the factory. I believe (1addicts member)DriveHard has stated this before. Durring the PDI process its left just hanging or secured to the battery area.

Btw... looks like your battery has been replaced. OE batteries are all white I believe.
What!? Really? I've never touched the battery or this compartment. As far as I know this is how I got it from PCD. Unless the dealer replaced it at my 1200 mile service and didn't tell me. Anyone else have a black stock battery?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

What!? Really? I've never touched the battery or this compartment. As far as I know this is how I got it from PCD. Unless the dealer replaced it at my 1200 mile service and didn't tell me. Anyone else have a black stock battery?
I believe mine is black as well, and yes the power cutoff switch (used during transport) was connected to that connector.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAM View Post
Dack, you were correct MOST all BMW did come white.. but times have changed.

BMW has new vendor.. Batteries are Black now for most models

OP.. your fine.. all is good.

and yes that loose wire is for the remote battery disconnect..
      02-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Yes, mine is black as well. I don't think anyone changed anything at the dealer cause I am sure they are not even capable of disconnecting a battery!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
HOLY CRAP there is an insane of crap attached to the battery btw. Took me 10 minutes to even figure how how to procede with removal of terminals..
HAHA! That is SO true. I couldn't believe my eyes when I first say the battery...I was like, "what the f..."? *scratching head*

I just thought it was for Kit's talking voicebox...but that didn't seem to work when I connected it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info fellas! Thought I might have unplugged something by mistake when I was checking out the air compressor.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAM
I've had my car for a while now but decided to take a look at the mobility kit under the trunk yesterday. When I opened it I noticed this red and blue wire with a small harness on it not plugged in anywhere. Should it be and what's it for? the wire in question is in the center bottom of picture.

I know because I asked during delivery. Is is a wire used for some purpose during shipping. No longer needed, just tuck it away.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
AMP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E34, E39, & E60 M5; E92 M3

As others have stated this is where the power disconnect switch is attached during transport.

BMW still has white batteries.

White batteries are traditional lead-acid.

Black batteries are AGM (absorbed glass mat).
'08 M6 Coupe Stratus/Black
'03 M5 Sedan Imola Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Dack, you were correct MOST all BMW did come white.. but times have changed.

BMW has new vendor.. Batteries are Black now for most models

OP.. your fine.. all is good.

and yes that loose wire is for the remote battery disconnect..
Does anyone have more information on the connection between this switch and OPs connector in the trunk; Would this switch interupt + or - pole, where in the lead/where in the trunk would it be positioned?

Also where can the other end of this connector wires (or its remains) be found on the front side of the car connecting the magnetic pen switch?

Last edited by eeghie; 03-26-2014 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAM View Post

This thread saved me from losing my mind and ripping out everything again after replacing the battery today.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #16
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
LOL. It’s all here, isn’t it?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #17
RedCardinal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
This thread saved me from losing my mind and ripping out everything again after replacing the battery today.
Same here. I've had what appeared to be an intermittent parasitic drain in my e93 which I've been trying to diagnose myself. Took it into the dealer the other day to finally get the air bag replaced and mentioned the drain. When my car was ready they told me that the IBS system (and really, BMW? have someone vet your abbreviations for crying out loud!) was throwing a fault and should be replaced - for $800.

I came home and bought the 3 inter-connecting cables for around $200 but when I went to install them, I could not figure out what the separate 3-pin connector was for.

I traced the existing wiring and it was a loooong pair of wires that disappeared into the car somewhere. That didn't make sense to me - the 3-pin wire wasn't nearly as long as wherever the existing pair of wires went...

I wedged something in the trunk lock so it couldn't close while I went to google this (don't want your trunk to close with no battery attached...). Ended up here.

Wow I could have installed this cable in 15 minutes if I had known this haha. Still, this saved me a ton of time.

Hopefully this will solve the parasitic drain issue. Hopefully...
Appreciate 0