BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Advice for 1st time Track Day?

Hello all. After enjoying the 1M for approximately 3000 miles on public roads, I think the time has come to experience some time on a track.
Off the public roads where I can legally do illegal things

After some time on this forum I have found that many of you have had a few track days, and some are professionally racing as well!
I'd love to hear words of wisdom from you guys especially and a few tips on driving as well as what to prepare for/ bring.

To further understand my lack of experience, let me explain that 1) I have never been to a track day or drag strip. 2) Never owned a manual transmission car before the 1M. I'm working on getting heel toe down, and basically got blipping on downshifts.
3) Never seriously pushed a sporty rear wheel drive car for more than a few minutes (pushed a 335i auto for a bit but traction was still on and didn't learn much, ... and played with an LS460 but... that's like a yacht haha it did a pretty good drift though)

I'm planning on going towards the end of this month and as a first timer, I'm quite excited but nervous at the same time.
I would hate to mess up the car, but won't hold back on the fun either.

So any driving tips, preparation tips, tips on what to bring or do at the track, warm up, cool down, and maybe some thoughts on what to do after the track day would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Looking forward to what you all have to say

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
johnnyb84
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 series M coupe

I've done only a few track days (about 5 on cars, 5 on bikes) and the most important thing is have fun! You didn't mention in car instruction, but I assume it will be provided? In fact, I wouldn't go on a track for the first time without an experience instructor in the passenger seat. Your instructor will take care of warm up lap/cool down procedure etc.

If you want to do some preparation, reading Ross Bentley's book "Speed Secrets" I think is worth it. If you have access to a Grand Tourismo game, it at least gives you an idea of what the racing line is on a track. You don't have to worry about heel and toe the first time on the track. Your focus is going to be hitting the line, and being smooth.

Ask your instructor what terms they will be using. I didn't know what "gas to balance" "let it roll" etc. meant!

You're not likely going to impress anyone with your amazing innate driving skills, so don't worry about what other people are going to think. You just learn as much as you can, and have fun!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

You'll have a blast man! Main thing to do before the event are make sure the car is in proper shape. Since it's new that shouldn't be a problem. Most organizations require an inspection prior to the DE so that will catch anything should something be wrong. Just make sure your tires are filled to the specs on the door the morning of the event. This will make for a safe and fun ride. Everything else will be covered by the instructor. Listen to him and have fun. That's really about it! The best students are the ones that are willing to listen and take advice. A bit of humility goes a long way.

Unless you have heal/toe rev matching DOWN I wouldn’t mess with it your first event. It really needs to be second nature before you use it on track. Basically you don’t want to have to think about it when you’re using the technique on track. You can always discuss with your instructor as well and maybe try it out to see how you take to it.

What track you thinking of going to? Buttonwillow, Thunderhill, Willow springs and Streets of Willow are all good safe tracks with lots of runoff in most turns. Honestly, your first event the instructor will take such good care of you going off won’t be a factor. Still it’s nice to run a track without a bunch of walls.

As for things like traction control and MDM, that will be something you and the instructor should discuss. Don't worry, you will have a blast! This car is hugely capable and very easy to drive well.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
1M SUSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 //1M Alpine White

Quote:
Off the public roads where I can legally do illegal things
Ha! I love it.

#1 have fun. Usually the beginner groups are pretty safe. Most definitely have an instructor ride with you. Get to the track early with a full tank of gas. Bring water and some food. Cold beer for AFTER everyone is off track. Also bring a Camera to record the beginning of the best days of your life. Helmet, driving shoes or sneakers, gloves if you got them. Be curtious to other drivers that catch up to you and just let them pass. ( even if it's some tuned Kia )

Like the previous poster said don't worry about "heal toe" you won't even have time to look at your speedo.

Some of the best feelings is passing a GT3 or some other fast car just cuz you have better skill.

That's it for now. Got to go to work to make money for my next track day.

Cheers!

Susi
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

It's all about impressing your instructor. Drifting and braking late are a must if you want them to like you. They ride around with newbies all day and it gets boring.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
I second all the above...in addition I would say:

Trust your tires and the car....it can take waaaaay more than you will likely give it the first day. Just when I thought I was going fast my instructor said: You know you could be even faster....haha...back to reality.

Relax, Relax, Relax and get a good nights sleep and some coffee....helps to be very alert
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Look ahead, use smooth inputs from feet and hands, check mirrors and gauges on the straights, relaxed grip on the steering wheel, be predictable, but most of all leave your ego at the gate. As soon as you think you're fast an old e30 will be in your mirrors.
Last thing, have fun and listen.
      02-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

pull some Youtube track day video's for the track you are visiting and get a feel for what it will be like.

If they allow it...RIDE WITH AN INSTRUCTOR. You'll pick up a lot just by sitting in the passenger seat watching them w/o the pressure of hitting the right apex and braking points on you. Seat time in any form is the best education.

Don't focus on the car in front of you either. Drive your line not theirs.

Make sure you torque your wheels and check your tire temps/pressure

and as everyone else suggested HAVE FUN!

after the first few laps you'll be addicted...it really is like a drug.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

No matter what your instructor says, there is no way I would turn all the nannies off on your first track day. Leave it in MDM mode and you'll have a blast.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
djafactor
MINI Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 89 M3, 1M, e30 touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
It's all about impressing your instructor. Drifting and braking late are a must if you want them to like you. They ride around with newbies all day and it gets boring.
Hope this is sarcasm, being an instructor myself this is exactly what I wouldn't want a first timer to do. Earn your instructor's trust and he/she will loosen the reigns as your day progresses.

The slower you go into the corner the faster u can track out. You'll gain a lot of understanding of the proper line and what the car can do, then you can gradually up the entry speeds. Don't panic, be smooth, the car has more grip than you've probably had a chance to experience.

Have fun!
      02-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33
Quote:
:
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

It was sarcasm, I was hoping I could get a rise out of an instructor on here.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
would have been really funny if someone had actually taken this advise. lol. i don't know how instructors do it. they have bigger balls than me for sure. it's like playing russian roulette. you have no idea what kind of nutcase you're riding with
      02-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
1M Fan
SMSgt
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
Couple of things.

1. Don't drive beyond your capabilities. Everything will be lots of fun if you do what "you" are capable of doing.

2. As stated above, have an instructor ride alone if possible. The proper line around the track may not be obvious to you. Going fast and saving your brakes & tires is very dependent on where you enter and exit turns and when to brake and gear selection

3. Take the first lap or two slow, then add a little more speed to each lap. There will probably be a pace car for the first couple of laps. Watch what it does.

4. Let the faster cars go by. As a newbee, you don't want to focus on holding off the competition. This will probably be explained to you also. Watching the line the faster cars are taking can only help you.

5. If you are going to be on the track for longer periods of time, put track pads on. If you get 15 minutes or less, your street pads may work.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was sarcasm, I was hoping I could get a rise out of an instructor on here.
And it worked perfectly, nice job!
      02-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

In addition to the good advice above ^^^ Get a good night sleep, don't party the night before, don't eat a heavy breakfast, stay hydrated, wear comfortable clothes and shoes that you are familiar driving with. If you buy driving shoes try them out before track day, if you are driving your own car clean it out completely, remove the driver side floor mat, make sure all fluids and pressures are correct and topped off, clean the windows. Take it easy and listen to your instructor, driving on a track is much different that street driving, learn the right lines and try to be smooth, read up on things like weight transfer, understeer, oversteer, lift off oversteer etc. Don't overdrive your car and your capabilities, you'll be amazed by the difference in your driving when you start the day and when you finish.

Most of all have fun!!
      02-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

I would ask the organization if their instructors are required to use chatter boxes. In case you don't know what it is it's a device that you and your instructor slip into your helmets so you can talk to each other. In my first DE at VIR I had an instructor with this setup and it was great. At another DE my instructor didn't and it was ridiculous to try to communicate. With the wind, engine, and tire noise it's nearly impossible to talk to each other with helmets on and a good instructor and/or organization will have these chatter boxes available. That's it from me.
      02-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

I have two tips for you for your first time on the track.

1. Don't Overdrive and put the car into the wall or fence.

2. Don't turn the MDM mode off.

Have fun!
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #20
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Lots of great responses and advice here. Having been tracking for just a year I'd like to share a few things that are still fresh in my mind from my first event.

Your main goals for your first DE's is to a) learn the line, b) learn to expand your vision and c) be smooth with your steering, gas and brake inputs.

For me, the hardest thing to learn was to expand my vision beyond the piece of road directly in front of me. My instructor would ask me during my first session if I'd seen a particular flag being displayed; heck I didn't even see the corner station! I was amazed at the tunnel vision I had. It all gets better with practice though and by the end of the weekend you'll be amazed how much you've improved. Have a great time!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #21
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Haha I love the feed back, there's some good input.
Thanks guys.
This forum has proven time and time again of its usefulness.
I'm getting amped for this track day. I can't wait.
I'll be doing some more research and try not to get too excited when I hit the track haha.

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #22
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

- Not sure what track day you're looking for, but don't just do an open track day. Do an HPDE event with your local BMW club. An instructor is an absolute must have! I can't even begin to tell you how much I learned riding with an instructor on board - it's great.

- Don't worry about heel & toe yet. You'll have much bigger fish to fry at first (where to look, how to brake, when/how to accelerate +++).

- Be well rested as others have said. It'll be (a) long day(s). Bring water if it's not readily available.

- Torque your wheel lugs.

Btw. the San Diego BMW club is doing a 2 day event at Chuckwalla in March (17th/18th). They have great instructors and it's a great track to learn on.
Appreciate 0