BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
Lozza
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Track day at Snetterton last wednesday

Gang,

As I bored you all with at Piston Heads Sunday service, this week was the first chance I had to get the DMS 1m on the track.

The weather was great and I am still grinning as the car just got better and better as my confidence grew and I started to chuck it hard into the corners.

The day was was eventful though! On the first session I followed a TVR down the straight only to see him loose in braking, hit the grass and smash into a wall. One written off TVR and note to self - take it easy as I had no insurance.

So after lunch the rest mist descended and I was determined not to let two Audi tuned TURBO TT's past me. Well the truth is they were catching me in the corners, but on the straight no chance! Anyway it was only at the end of the session when one of the drivers said ' god that 1m is fast, so fast that I have blown up my exhaust manifold trying to keep up!'

So great day, love the car even more and will be going back.

Hope you like the pictures...I got a bit arty with them to create some 'movement' and class...probably failed though.

Lozza

PS - EVEN HIT THE APEX A FEW TIMES

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  72.8 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  53.7 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  104.1 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  76.7 KB
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  108.8 KB
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  83.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
1M SUSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 //1M Alpine White

Lozza

Great shots! Glad you made it back safe and sound. It kills me that people will drive off the track because they think there car is faster. Get over it! and just let them pass. Everyone should leave the track with there car the same shape it came in.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Lozza
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M SUSI View Post
Lozza

Great shots! Glad you made it back safe and sound. It kills me that people will drive off the track because they think there car is faster. Get over it! and just let them pass. Everyone should leave the track with there car the same shape it came in.
I agree and I guess it was not only a shock to watch him crash but also a lesson.

Glad you like the shots..and as I said the car is just great
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Thanks for posting and great shots.

Question: DMS tune is the only mod you have? If so, how are the tires, brakes, gear box and clutch handling the extra hp and torque? Any one of these units (or other parts of the car) showing signs of being pushed too much?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Lozza
Rep

Ozinaldo,

Yep DMS the only mod.

Tyres, gear box and clutch were fine.

Brakes were good, but I may upgrade the fluids and pads, as I was getting some noise before they were warmed up at the start of the sessions in the afternoon. Also had to stand on them hard towards the end of the day at the end of the two really fast straights.

I am no expert but some of the forum guys have recommended I get race pads and change the fluids.

Lozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Thanks for posting and great shots.

Question: DMS tune is the only mod you have? If so, how are the tires, brakes, gear box and clutch handling the extra hp and torque? Any one of these units (or other parts of the car) showing signs of being pushed too much?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozza View Post
Ozinaldo,

Yep DMS the only mod.

Tyres, gear box and clutch were fine.

Brakes were good, but I may upgrade the fluids and pads, as I was getting some noise before they were warmed up at the start of the sessions in the afternoon. Also had to stand on them hard towards the end of the day at the end of the two really fast straights.

I am no expert but some of the forum guys have recommended I get race pads and change the fluids.

Lozza
Thanks for the quick reply and yes you should be there on the track with better brake fluid and race pads and preferably with different tires as well. I was more curious about the capacity of the clutch, gear box, good to know that they cope with all that torque well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
Lozza
Rep

What pads and fluids would you recommend?

Tyres seemed fine, what would you run?

Lozza

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply and yes you should be there on the track with better brake fluid and race pads and preferably with different tires as well. I was more curious about the capacity of the clutch, gear box, good to know that they cope with all that torque well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozza View Post
What pads and fluids would you recommend?

Tyres seemed fine, what would you run?

Lozza
This thread has the best info and experience sharing that could help you choose your set up:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600932

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Lozza
Rep

Thanks

Quote:
This thread has the best info and experience sharing that could help you choose your set up:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600932

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had my DMS 1M around brands a few weeks ago and it was fantastic as well. Managed to keep a number of "fast" cars honest in the corners and on the straights, like you it was no contest. It's a deeply impressive car the 1M, especially when remapped!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Nice one Loz, car looks mean on track. Glad everything went okay and you enjoyed. Sorry you cant make MBW. Speak soon as may have another Sunday breakfast meet soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Well done mate, looking good, did you get some good instruction from the instructor first up?
Appreciate 0