BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
ChrisNJ69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135I Space Gray

N54 acting weird need some advice missfire and more

Hey guys so I have had my N54 space grey for about 5 months now and the car has some corks about it. I have a COBB charge pipe Vishnu stage one auto tune and BM intake. Mind you the boost and fuel cut thing is on stage 1 auto tune.

1. if I have the key in my pocket and I go to open the door the car unlocks and when I open the door it makes a clicking sounds that happens about 10x almost like the lock got jammed or something

2. I hit fuel or boost cut at about 5k to 5500k RPM

3. I catch a miss fire on cylinder 5 and I pull over shut the car off then turn it back on then the miss fire is gone and the car will run perfectly fine.

can anyone give me any kind of advice of this has happened to them as well my next step is changing spark plugs and im waiting for my FMIC to get here as well i was thinking i need to get the heads walnut blasted and maybe its just not getting enough air so thats why im hitting a boost or fuel cut ? and I am not over boosting because its hitting about 10psi

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Is there a way of getting a data log? n54tech may be helpful, searching through the threads etc.

When was the battery last replaced? the door clicking could be a battery on its way out.

Changing the spark plugs will help, it could also be a failing coil pack, one test would be to swap the coil from cyl5 to cyl6 and see if the fault follows.
      04-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #3
ChrisNJ69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
Is there a way of getting a data log? n54tech may be helpful, searching through the threads etc.

When was the battery last replaced? the door clicking could be a battery on its way out.

Changing the spark plugs will help, it could also be a failing coil pack, one test would be to swap the coil from cyl5 to cyl6 and see if the fault follows.
thanks so much man and i believe its the stock battery to be honest with you. but im waiting for my IC to get here so i hope after i get that on the boost/fuel cut will stop and i am hoping its just lack of air flow.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

#1 sounds like a bad car battery. Have you check the static voltage at the battery terminals? It should be at least 12.8 volts with the engine off. Anything less than 12.2 volts and your battery is shot.

As for the other two issues... you will need to check for any codes or shadow codes. New spark plugs and coils are a good idea. Could be carbon buildup or injectors too.

PS: Have you had the battery cable recall done? Have a dealer run your VIN for open recalls. They are free - if any are open.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
ChrisNJ69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
#1 sounds like a bad car battery. Have you check the static voltage at the battery terminals? It should be at least 12.8 volts with the engine off. Anything less than 12.2 volts and your battery is shot.

As for the other two issues... you will need to check for any codes or shadow codes. New spark plugs and coils are a good idea. Could be carbon buildup or injectors too.

PS: Have you had the battery cable recall done? Have a dealer run your VIN for open recalls. They are free - if any are open.
Hey man thanks for getting back to me and no I did not know about the battery recall tell you the truth. But I will definitely look in to that and I will check the voltage this weekend but the thing is it doesn't do it all the time only once in a while and the car has never had any problems starting up or any signs of the battery going dead. and when I looked up the cods all it said was miss fire on cylinder 5. and im doing spark plugs next week and at some point in a month or 2 I am going to get the heads walnut blasted I still have not decided if I want saluted or honey roasted nuts haha joking. but I been doing a lot of reading about the walnut blasting and people are saying I will feel a huge difference in power and throttle response as well so its definitely on my list of things to get done.

Thanks for the info bud
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10531.50
      04-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #6
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
coils probably. i also find it funny that walnut shells are being used to clean engine compartments...you'd think there'd be some manufactured material that would be preferable but i guess not.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #7
Jorgensen54
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/AG 135i 6MT

Walnut media is by-product of manufacturing, so in a sense.. it is a manufactured material. It's preferred over a lot of other materials due to its solubility and decomposition properties that essentially make it 100% safe even if residual amounts are left behind. Unlike brake parts cleaner and other solvents, that are made to dilute and dehydrate petrol compositions and essentially leaving internals without lubrication.

The guts of internal combustion motors are metal on metal on metal, and I'd much rather have fragments of organic media trying to work past my piston rings and break down as opposed to degrading material that strips me of lubrication and can cause bearings to unseat.

The oil filter will catch anything that's not too small of micron, but a solvent of less density than motor oil will continue to cycle the oil sump until the next oil change.

And +1 to all of the suggestions given. Although, one that I'm not seeing mentioned a lot is a cracked valve cover(common amongst N54) which can lead to pooling in a cylinder and fouling contact between coil and plug or the electrode end of the plug as well.

Testing plugs and coils is free, as Tinsta suggested - swapping them around to known-functioning parts. Media blasting is good preventative maintenance and does recover youth in your head.

Last edited by Jorgensen54; 04-07-2017 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10531.50
      04-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #8
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgensen54 View Post
Walnut media is by-product of manufacturing, so in a sense.. it is a manufactured material. It's preferred over a lot of other materials due to its solubility and decomposition properties that essentially make it 100% safe even if residual amounts are left behind. Unlike brake parts cleaner and other solvents, that are made to dilute and dehydrate petrol compositions and essentially leaving internals without lubrication.

The guts of internal combustion motors are metal on metal on metal, and I'd much rather have fragments of organic media trying to work past my piston rings and break down as opposed to degrading material that strips me of lubrication and can cause bearings to unseat.

The oil filter will catch anything that's not too small of micron, but a solvent of less density than motor oil will continue to cycle the oil sump until the next oil change.

And +1 to all of the suggestions given. Although, one that I'm not seeing mentioned a lot is a cracked valve cover(common amongst N54) which can lead to pooling in a cylinder and fouling contact between coil and plug or the electrode end of the plug as well.

Testing plugs and coils is free, as Tinsta suggested - swapping them around to known-functioning parts. Media blasting is good preventative maintenance and does recover youth in your head.
now that's an answer! haha thanks interesting.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #9
ChrisNJ69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgensen54 View Post

Some great info you gave me and thank you but im not even thinking anything is cracked because the miss fire only happen when I am on stage 2 and open throttle im assuming I have stock plugs and coils at 86k miles when I am on stage 1 I can rip the car all day long and have no problems.

I beat the piss out of this car but still maintaining it I don't have full rattle of death yet AKA wast gate rattle. It will only do it a little bit on cold start up for about 2 mins then he tuner adjusts the gates. but soon I will be going stage 2 pure kit or im going single stock location big kit still have not decided what route I want to go with this car I still have some time to decide as I save my penny's lol

But till I go with my turbos I am just buying parts and sticking them in my closet till im ready. This shits is not cheap and im not rich but this is by far the best car I have owned yet and I have had 3 WRX's and with one with a STI swap on a 68HTA garbage turbo and the hot side wheel blew up on me at 20psi.. anyways thats a whole other story.

Thanks for all the help guys and I will let you know how the new plugs go and I have a strong feeling after I go my intercooler this boost/fuel cut will stop I think im not getting enough air to be honest
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 11:41 PM   #10
ajoosten
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i | https://bmw135iblo

#3 buy all new coils. I had a very similar misfire and under heavy load the coils just couldn't keep up after 77k miles.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJP89US..._SpA8ybC7BG9S4
      04-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #11
rominun
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 135i

I had the same problem. I only got the misfire when i was tuned and at high rpms after lots of pulls. I ended up swapping my injectors and coils out with a friend of mine and it never misfired again. Get new spark plugs, coils and if those dont fix the problem, then the injectors are probably going out. Also, check on the injectors top right corner it has a number. The number refers to the index of it and usually index 9 and lower has lots of problems.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10531.50
      04-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #12
ChrisNJ69
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominun View Post
I had the same problem. I only got the misfire when i was tuned and at high rpms after lots of pulls. I ended up swapping my injectors and coils out with a friend of mine and it never misfired again. Get new spark plugs, coils and if those dont fix the problem, then the injectors are probably going out. Also, check on the injectors top right corner it has a number. The number refers to the index of it and usually index 9 and lower has lots of problems.
tell me more about this index 9 thing on the injectors??? and my HPFP and LPFP was replaced a couple years ago at the dealership because it went bad. so they ended up doing both and my other question is do they made better coils for cars with more boost and higher HP or stock is best? and same question for the spark plugs is there a better spark plug out there for cars making 400whp or should i just get stock ones and do ppl do step colder spark plugs on are cars? i had them on my STI when i had it back in the day... And one last thing do you think this could be happening because i have to much build up and need the heads walnut blasted ? im going to end up doing that this summer but one thing at a time lol
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #13
rominun
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNJ69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rominun View Post
tell me more about this index 9 thing on the injectors??? and my HPFP and LPFP was replaced a couple years ago at the dealership because it went bad. so they ended up doing both and my other question is do they made better coils for cars with more boost and higher HP or stock is best? and same question for the spark plugs is there a better spark plug out there for cars making 400whp or should i just get stock ones and do ppl do step colder spark plugs on are cars? i had them on my STI when i had it back in the day... And one last thing do you think this could be happening because i have to much build up and need the heads walnut blasted ? im going to end up doing that this summer but one thing at a time lol
pre index 9 injectors had lots of problems with misfires, so they kept making revisions. the best ones to get are index 12 but 10,11 are fine too. also, i'm running some bosch spark plugs that aren't even oem and i'm stage 2 tune with no problems. i'd recommend getting your valves blasted first especially if they haven't been done in 50k miles. if that doesn't fix it, then do your spark plugs. then coils, and injectors. there should be a number on the top right of the injector and that tells you the type on index it is. let me know what that number is
Appreciate 0