BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-27-2023, 11:05 PM   #1
SOS0
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

2008 128i N51 SULEV oil pan gasket

Hello this is my first time posting on here since I'm new to bmw so I'm hoping that I'm doing this right but im having some trouble replacing my oil pan gasket. I just recently got a bmw for my first time and it is a 128i N51 6 speed MT. I noticed that my oil pan had some oil leaking so I decided to replace it. I have the aluminum bolts with three diffrent sizes and when I was taking off the bolts I didn't keep track of which size bolt goes where like the dumba** that I am but I was wondering if there's any instructions that I can use to follow along to.

Also im having a hard time taking off the pan itself. I noticed that the new bolt set came with 7 of the longest bolts and I only took off 5 of the big bolts but it seems to me that I took off every bolt. Im afraid to try to pry it off cause what if there is still 2 other bolts. Im going to check tomorrow morning to see if there's any other hidden bolts left. I would appreciate any help that I can get and thanks for reading this
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 04:48 PM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Turner Motorsport shows 11 13 2 210 959. Their picture shows 7 of the very long bolt. 3 about an inch shorter, the rest all about 3 inches overall length.
Look thru realoem.com.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...-transmission/
Note this is for an auto trans-I'm not finding the bolt kit for a manual trans

Last edited by NorthernDancer; 01-29-2023 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2023, 03:13 AM   #3
BimmerxVision
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 128i, 1989 E30 325ix

Garage List
1989 BMW 325IX  [8.75]
2011 BMW 128i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS0 View Post
Hello this is my first time posting on here since I'm new to bmw so I'm hoping that I'm doing this right but im having some trouble replacing my oil pan gasket. I just recently got a bmw for my first time and it is a 128i N51 6 speed MT. I noticed that my oil pan had some oil leaking so I decided to replace it. I have the aluminum bolts with three diffrent sizes and when I was taking off the bolts I didn't keep track of which size bolt goes where like the dumba** that I am but I was wondering if there's any instructions that I can use to follow along to.

Also im having a hard time taking off the pan itself. I noticed that the new bolt set came with 7 of the longest bolts and I only took off 5 of the big bolts but it seems to me that I took off every bolt. Im afraid to try to pry it off cause what if there is still 2 other bolts. Im going to check tomorrow morning to see if there's any other hidden bolts left. I would appreciate any help that I can get and thanks for reading this
I would like to recommend for this project and all future projects that you use REALOEM.com for reference to part numbers, illustrated parts breakdowns and part nomenclature to assist you in visually understanding where all your components are and miscellaneous information that has proven to be useful for me, I’m not aware of any Bentley manuals or technical literature for the 1 series. Simply enter bmw catalog, Input last 7 of your vin into the vin box and hit search it will pull up your specific model Information. Click browse parts catalog this will open each subcategory for your vehicle and will further assist you with the aforementioned. Also I recommend you to use pelican parts DIY forums where there is technical write ups on how to do many maintenance tasks that prove to be extremely helpful when starting on a new project, they list needed tools, parts and an easy to follow how to article on each subject matter, good luck.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2023, 02:00 PM   #4
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
The oil pan on my SULEV 128i 6-MT was leaking. I had an independent shop do the work. The pan was almost rusted through, and no new or used replacements were readily available, but an aluminum pan from an automatic was available. With the 6-MT there are two bolts that go through the bell housing and into welded nuts on the clutch dust cover. With the aluminum pan the bolts go through the bell housing, through the dust cover, and into the oil pan. The shop cut the welded nuts off the clutch dust cover, and easily installed the aluminum pan. Probably won't leak again.