BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Question KW V3 reocmmended settings

Hey guys,

I am installing KW v3 this afternoon. I plan to run the kit at max height, so 5mm rear drop and 10mm front drop.

This car is a DD on bad roads. I am wondering what the KW recommended setting is (may be in instructions for the kit, i havent opened the box). Or what anyone here would recommend for F / R compression and rebound settings.

I cant seem to find it when searching, can only find recommendations for the e9x m3.

Any help would be great, doing this today
      03-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Interested in KWs,... How was install? Impressions??
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

What are the spring rates?

Personally it all depends on you. I know people that run DAs on full soft rebound and compression for DD'ing and then turn up the clicks for autox.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
Interested in KWs,... How was install? Impressions??
had some help with the install, went well though. fitment was very good.

adjustability is very easy, you can get to the compression adjustments on the front and rear without taking the wheels off and the dials are very convinient. the rebound adjustment is obviously very easy in the front, but having to pull the trunk liner (which i can never get to fit exactly right after removing) is a PITA in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
What are the spring rates?

Personally it all depends on you. I know people that run DAs on full soft rebound and compression for DD'ing and then turn up the clicks for autox.
they are progressive rates

thanks. i figured out some good settings for the street and probably wont change them for the track.

Rebound - 5 clicks from hard in the front / 6 clicks in the back
Compression - 6 clicks in the front, 8 in the back

Ride height - .5 inch drop in the front, .5 inch in the back. Very minimal but sort of noticeable. I did this mod for better handling, not for looks. I love the OEM 1M look

Overall, recommended AS LONG AS you dont run them too low. I previously had them about a half inch lower in the front and rear and the ride was a little too busy for my liking. Once i raised them, the ride improved noticeably.
      03-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Hey guys,

I am installing KW v3 this afternoon. I plan to run the kit at max height, so 5mm rear drop and 10mm front drop.

This car is a DD on bad roads. I am wondering what the KW recommended setting is (may be in instructions for the kit, i havent opened the box). Or what anyone here would recommend for F / R compression and rebound settings.

I cant seem to find it when searching, can only find recommendations for the e9x m3.

What happened to your Ohlins order?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Hey guys,

Did you ever get an answer on this? I am having the good folks at VORSHLAG install a set of KW v3 along with 10mm spacers all around on my 1M today. These guys are real pros so I left it up to them to set up for DD with a tolerance for a moderatly stiff ride but a more aggresive drop (1.75/.75).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

KennyPowers:
How is the commute / DD with the new setup vs stock?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
What happened to your Ohlins order?
after the numerous delays, and a great offer on the v3 from sonic MS, i decided to use the extra savings from going with the cheaper KW kit to add an FMIC and an Etune from pro tuning freaks.

i will be sending you an email soon, i am trying to prep my car for the track this summer (5 events already scheduled through june) and am considering oil cooling options and the appropriate brake pads to use. i would like your expertise on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIN M View Post
Did you ever get an answer on this? I am having the good folks at VORSHLAG install a set of KW v3 along with 10mm spacers all around on my 1M today. These guys are real pros so I left it up to them to set up for DD with a tolerance for a moderatly stiff ride but a more aggresive drop (1.75/.75).
i messed with it myself, it is very easy to change the settings. really, no work has to be done to change 3 of the 4 settings. the compression can be set with the wheels on and the car on the ground on the front and back. the rebound is easy in the front, but requires the trunk carpet to be removed in the back which i hate doing because i never can get it to line up exactly right again...

see settings listing below

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
KennyPowers:
How is the commute / DD with the new setup vs stock?
its pretty good, not really that different. really it is more firm, and has less suspension travel. so it basically is equally as comfortable, just has a different feel. and i am VERY sensitive to this type of thing, and hate a bad ride on the street.

my settings are as follows

Front rebound - 5 clicks from full hard
Rear rebound - 7 clicks from full hard
Front Compression - 8 clicks from full hard
Rear Compression - 9 clicks from full hard

Feels good, the firmer rebound actually makes the car much more stable and less susceptible to bounce.

I plan to experiment with lowering the front and rear one more full turn to see how that feels.

My first track day with this setup is tomorrow, so these adjustments will NOT be made prior to that. I will update this thread on my thoughts.

I have one track day on the same tires with stock suspension, so it should be a good comparison, although it is on a different track.
      03-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
I plan to experiment with lowering the front and rear one more full turn to see how that feels.
I encourage you to try it...It feels great
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
zhihong.james
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Does anyone know that how many clicks/ adjust positions are there from full soft to full hard for each compression and rebound setting?
Appreciate 0