BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2020, 10:48 PM   #1
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Coilover recommendation stock height 135i MSport

Hi all,

Thinking of upgrading coilovers for my 135i MSport. Trying to go down the stock sleeper route.

Currently have M3 control arms (front), Nolathane polyurethane RSFB installed, stock wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE003 RF (to be changed to Mich PS4S when worn out).

I still have the stock MSport suspension on the car and wondering what my options were if aiming to maintain the stock height.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
Mybimmer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 118d & E82 135i

I have ST XA running at 5mm lower than stock (live in the hills). Performance is great for the money. I ordered the kit suitable for convertibles and installed in my coupe. The spring rates are slightly higher for the verts due to increased weight. A common complaint I've heard in person and online is the ST kits can be a bit soft in the rear. This is not a problem for me with the vert kit.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #3
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks, I'll check it out. It seemed to be advertised as a coilover for lowering so I have never looked into it too much.

I am starting to feel that I may have to look for just a shock replacement, since there aren't many coilover options for stock height 135i.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #4
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Sometimes people run into weird issues maybe related to improper coilover installation, but I'd think in general most any coilover system will allow you maintain practically stock height. It's all a matter of what height you chose.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
arc_resistant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I was able to set up YCW coilovers at (or very close to, like 1/4" or less) stock ride height.

They have threaded lower bodies on the front struts. Set at minimum thread engagement gets very close to stock height without any preload on spring.

At rear, spring perch has sufficient travel to get to stock. Damper bodies again have threaded adapter for lower shock mount that allows for enough shock travel when set at stock ride height.

This was using Swift Springs with 6k/18k spring rate. With different springs YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppunkamui View Post
Hi all,

Thinking of upgrading coilovers for my 135i MSport. Trying to go down the stock sleeper route.

Currently have M3 control arms (front), Nolathane polyurethane RSFB installed, stock wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE003 RF (to be changed to Mich PS4S when worn out).

I still have the stock MSport suspension on the car and wondering what my options were if aiming to maintain the stock height.

Thanks for your help.
Ohlins R&T will allow you to run stock height and still ride and perform well. Stay away from short body coilovers since you will run out of droop travel at stock ride height.

PM is if you have any specific questions regarding the Ohlins.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 04:46 AM   #7
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the information. My impression was most coilovers included a drop even at max height. Since the 135i M-Sport suspension has already been lowered a little, it may be stock height, but I can't sure.

I'll suss out YCW. TBH it is the first I heard of the range.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:27 AM   #8
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
+1 for the Ohlins Road & Track. They are a fantastic upgrade FRM stock. I'm running a bit lower than stock but you can run them at stock height or close to it.
      10-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #9
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
Sometimes people run into weird issues maybe related to improper coilover installation, but I'd think in general most any coilover system will allow you maintain practically stock height. It's all a matter of what height you chose.
most coilovers have significantly shorter strut bodies. To get back to stock height requires preloading the springs or running much higher than stock spring rates. So it's highly dependent on the coilover specs.

As harold stated, preloading the springs to get back to stock height can then result in having little to no droop travel. Or, you will end up binding the springs in compression since preload eats up spring travel.

Sorry I can't help much with which coilovers would be good for stock height because I've only had hands on experience and measured a few. YCW I was able to get pretty close to stock height with 7" 8k springs up front without too much compromise. rear generally works with a larger range of springs and its your choice as to how you want the car to handle.
Appreciate 0