BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
Exshipdriver
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

CarPlay-Android retrofit for CIC iDrive! BimmerTech version, and it’s Amazing!

Full disclosure up front, I was part of a beta test for BimmerTech for their new CarPlay and Android MMI for CIC iDrive vehicles. (Mine is a 2011 E88 convertible with manual transmission). I also paid nearly full price for the equipment, in addition to a rear view camera, and I am NOT receiving any compensation from BimmerTech for this post. I’m only posting this because like many, I have been looking for a long time for a CarPlay retrofit for a CIC iDrive, and I didn’t want to shell out the cost of an NBT retrofit or risk the Chinese systems discussed in many other threads.

I received the unit a couple of months ago, and it has been a complete game changer! No kidding, this is the real deal to putting CarPlay and Android in your vehicle. Virtually zero lag in switching menus, great sound and screen resolution, and very intuitive. If necessary for checking TMPS or the oil level, using the OEM radio, or other CIC systems, you can easily switch back to the OEM iDrive system.

The product build is superb and even though you’ll never see the box after installation, it is all very high quality. Same for the user interface. Installation instructions were excellent, it’s all plug and play with harnesses, no coding was necessary, and while it took us about 8-9 hours to install (taking our time and also adding a rear camera into a convertible which took a few hours to route wiring), the whole system is a terrific improvement. Also, the camera (with dynamic parking lines) tapped directly into the onboard system and thankfully didn’t require running a second wire to the footwell control modules even though it’s a stick shift.

Along the way, the BimmerTech staff was terrific providing support. The hardest part was finding a place to put the box and wiring as there’s not enough space behind the head unit for everything, so we had to trim a plastic support piece to the left of the glove box to fit it in. Your experience may vary if you can find a better place to store it—perhaps under the coin tray, if you can wedge it under there. We were tired at that point so we went with the void between the glove box and the center stack because it fit there and everything could be buttoned back up without any rattles or squeaks.

Here is link to the product on the BimmerTech page, as they now have a final version available for sale. Once again, I am NOT receiving any compensation from BimmerTech for posting this. I just wanted to get the word out about how much better we made our car by retrofitting this.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...y-mmi-retrofit
Appreciate 1
houtan701.00
      07-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
craig01
Rep
Drives: ‘12 135i

Put an order in two weeks ago for my 2012 e82 with CIC. Hope it ships soon while I still have the time to install it, looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I need to contact them. I have a how to write up for their older MMI box. It's been running pretty much fine since I installed it back in 2014. Although there is an occasional outage of the back up camera which I haven't dug into to figure out what is happening.

I wonder if this new MMI is compatible with the previous gen back up camera.

I also assume no touch screen capability.

I also wonder if they'll provide a discount for those of us that already have the previous gen MMI. I'd want to see someone run Android Auto on this new MMI before I make any firm decisions. Currently, I'm getting by with the use of mirroring my Android's phone to the iDrive screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
qxangelxp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sivec Honda, BMUU 135👁

That looks quite attractive.
I want to buy it, but that eats into my tire budget

Definitely getting it later though.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #5
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by qxangelxp View Post
That looks quite attractive.
I want to buy it, but that eats into my tire budget

Definitely getting it later though.
You can get them for less, check the F30 thread

Kri
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
Amhague
Rep
Drives: 135i

I really wish it didnt have to plug into the AUX port under the arm rest... with full access into the wiring harness i find it hard to believe we cant tie in behind the head unit.

It just seems like a really ghetto way to tie in.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #7
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Just for infor: my wife has a new lexus SUV and tie in for Car Play Apple/Android is onlythrough the adapter in the console. Won't work through the other USB (charging) ports. Maybe for most drivers, that way to connect is most convenient.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #8
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

Well i hate to burst this bubble or someones income but i think companies like Bimmersupply.nl & Bimmertech USA are simply just profiting over the original manufacturers product.

Essentially i can get the same product for less but with a quad core processor and optional 1920x720 resolution not offered by the above.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #9
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue135 View Post
Just for infor: my wife has a new lexus SUV and tie in for Car Play Apple/Android is onlythrough the adapter in the console. Won't work through the other USB (charging) ports. Maybe for most drivers, that way to connect is most convenient.
New BMWs use Bluetooth for CarPlay. Are they the only ones?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #10
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Don't know about new BMWs, but Lexus is pretty clear about using proper cable in proper port for Car Play. Bluetooth works for regular stuff like Audible or Spotify.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #11
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The Kenwood aftermarket unit I put in my truck does Android Auto and Apple's equivalent by bluetooth IF your phone is capable. I have to plug my phone in and then Android Auto works fine - and the phone charges. Android platform is behind Apple in this technology but catching up.
      09-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #12
Pejkan
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e87

Hello, can someone suggest a few android radio units for e87?
Thanks, it's my first post.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #13
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy5000 View Post
Well i hate to burst this bubble or someones income but i think companies like Bimmersupply.nl & Bimmertech USA are simply just profiting over the original manufacturers product.

Essentially i can get the same product for less but with a quad core processor and optional 1920x720 resolution not offered by the above.
Link?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #14
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Link?
Link

FYI i decided to keep the original iDrive on my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #15
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exshipdriver View Post
Full disclosure up front, I was part of a beta test for BimmerTech for their new CarPlay and Android MMI for CIC iDrive vehicles. (Mine is a 2011 E88 convertible with manual transmission). I also paid nearly full price for the equipment, in addition to a rear view camera, and I am NOT receiving any compensation from BimmerTech for this post. I’m only posting this because like many, I have been looking for a long time for a CarPlay retrofit for a CIC iDrive, and I didn’t want to shell out the cost of an NBT retrofit or risk the Chinese systems discussed in many other threads.

I received the unit a couple of months ago, and it has been a complete game changer! No kidding, this is the real deal to putting CarPlay and Android in your vehicle. Virtually zero lag in switching menus, great sound and screen resolution, and very intuitive. If necessary for checking TMPS or the oil level, using the OEM radio, or other CIC systems, you can easily switch back to the OEM iDrive system.

The product build is superb and even though you’ll never see the box after installation, it is all very high quality. Same for the user interface. Installation instructions were excellent, it’s all plug and play with harnesses, no coding was necessary, and while it took us about 8-9 hours to install (taking our time and also adding a rear camera into a convertible which took a few hours to route wiring), the whole system is a terrific improvement. Also, the camera (with dynamic parking lines) tapped directly into the onboard system and thankfully didn’t require running a second wire to the footwell control modules even though it’s a stick shift.

Along the way, the BimmerTech staff was terrific providing support. The hardest part was finding a place to put the box and wiring as there’s not enough space behind the head unit for everything, so we had to trim a plastic support piece to the left of the glove box to fit it in. Your experience may vary if you can find a better place to store it—perhaps under the coin tray, if you can wedge it under there. We were tired at that point so we went with the void between the glove box and the center stack because it fit there and everything could be buttoned back up without any rattles or squeaks.

Here is link to the product on the BimmerTech page, as they now have a final version available for sale. Once again, I am NOT receiving any compensation from BimmerTech for posting this. I just wanted to get the word out about how much better we made our car by retrofitting this.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...y-mmi-retrofit
wow is this new? cause the only other company I knew that did this was in the UK as the BimmerTech one wasn't compatible with the E82s at the time

https://integratedautomotive.co.uk/p...oid-auto-kits/
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #16
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Seems this isn't compatible with a 135is - just like all the other Chinese ones (because it's basically the same thing AFAICT). If anyone finds one that works with a 135is, lmk...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #17
blackberryq10android
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2009 Convertible

Is this compatible for an 2009 e88? Took a random vin from eBay same version of my car and it says it is not comparatively but it's compatible with an 2011?
Appreciate 0