BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

SOS Failure and Dead Radio/Head Unit

Well after scrounging around and searching, I'm not getting a clear picture on my specific case and thought I'd post a new thread.

Car:
2010 128i, has relevant options 645 (Radio US ctrl), 655 (Satellite radio), 663 (Radio Professional), 677 (Hifi Professional), 6FL (USB-Audio Interface)

Problem:
- Radio/Head Unit won't turn on, "SOS" error displayed on dash, no Bluetooth

In the trunk, I have only a single module under the trunk floor cover, on the passenger side (Canadian car, right side). I have purchased a MOST bus loop connector of the right type, waiting for it to arrive.

In anticipation I plan to pull apart the trunk liners etc this weekend to locate the following items, can anyone confirm where I can find these modules in a 2010 E82?
- MOST Junction box (it's in different places for different models)
- MULF
- TCU (This is what I think I can see under the trunk liner, need to verify) EDIT: Verified, I have a TCU 1.5 GSM US Unit here
- Satellite Radio module (is this under the liner on the driver's side storage bin in the trunk?)
- Amplifier for the BMW Hifi Professional system

My mechanic seems to think the head unit is dead - would the head unit just not turn on if there was a problem on the MOST ring or if say the satellite radio control unit was dead and not passing on the MOST signal?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by asbrr; 01-15-2021 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 05:56 PM   #2
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Cant help you but im having a similar issue. Now that my car is fixed and running properly it seems i always have to have one warning or another always on. Now its the sos call warning everytime i start it up and i cant change the mode or am/fm on my head unit. Im stuck in AM radio hell !! Ive been ignoring it and using my phone and radio.com but it would be nice to know what i need to change to get rid of it. Im guessing new head unit. The sos warning started before the mode button stopped working.
And phone music sounds awful since i cant put it in aux anymore. Which has forced me to listen to more sports talk radio. So really i only need AM anyway. Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:58 PM   #3
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
Cant help you but im having a similar issue. Now that my car is fixed and running properly it seems i always have to have one warning or another always on. Now its the sos call warning everytime i start it up and i cant change the mode or am/fm on my head unit. Im stuck in AM radio hell !! Ive been ignoring it and using my phone and radio.com but it would be nice to know what i need to change to get rid of it. Im guessing new head unit. The sos warning started before the mode button stopped working.
And phone music sounds awful since i cant put it in aux anymore. Which has forced me to listen to more sports talk radio. So really i only need AM anyway. Lol

For your case, the reading I did indicates it's a failed TCU unit (or a MULF unit if you have USB integration). It could also be your satellite radio module. Many posts that match your symptoms exactly where your head unit turns on but nothing works except radio.

In my case the head unit won't turn on....so....not sure if that's the head unit or somethingn else..
Appreciate 1
Petro135451.50
      01-16-2021, 05:38 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Had some time to pull apart the trunk liner today, confirmed there are no modules behind the driver side inner liner. The only module below the carpet insert in the center is the TCU.

Confirmed no light in the fiber optic cable at the TCU, and no light in the fiber optic cable in the diagnostic port under the steering wheel (that's where it is, behind a small square plastic cover).

From reading, the MOST bus starts at the Head unit -> Logic7 Amp (if present) -> TCU -> Satellite or HD Tuner -> Other MOST modules if present -> Diagnostic port.

Can anyone confirm where the Satellite tuner or HD tuner would be in the E82? RealOEM doesn't show its location, and I can't seem to get a clear answer as the E90 series has it in the trunk on the driver side behind the liner and mine is empty. Can anyone confirm the order of connections is as I've described above?

I think I'm resigned to looking for a new head unit and all the associated headaches that will cause (trying to find one that matches all the other options I have or having to recode it all)....fun (not really).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #5
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

UPDATE: Problem solved. Got a replacement unit from eBay with matching part numbers and a build date a few months off what I had in the car. Plug and play, worked immediately.

DIdn't need to code anything (I have HiFi), EQ settings were preserved, only had to program the radio stations.

One Question - what happens if someone disconnects the battery now, is the radio code tied to the car or is it tied to the radio unit itself???
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 03:39 PM   #6
MarinerZ4C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0Si Coupe

Did you get any answer about Radio Code behavior ?

My first response post as new member. Hope this isn't too bad a hijack.

I just purchased a 2008 128i convertible, and the pixels on the Professional CD Radio head unit have issues. I purchased a BMW Radio Professional CD head unit from ECS Tuning which has a part number (6512 9241762) that RealOEM says was manufactured for an E90. It cost less than the pixel repair kits on eBay.

Concerns: 1) I did not get a Radio Code with this radio
2) It is NOS (connectors have no marks from installation), but as a replacement part, will the Radio Code be in the dealer database anyway ?

If worst comes to worst, I will simply remove the faceplate and LCD and reinstall on my OE unit, since at this time all I want is a functional display. I'll consider upgrades later.

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
MarinerZ4C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0Si Coupe

Radio Code w new radio head unit (follow-up to own Q)

I did not need a code - I will find / start separate thread on this.

ECS Tuning sold me BMW part number 6512 9241762 radio head unit (HU), made in 2010, stocked in 2012 by BMW USA, manufactured in Czech Republic. It has an extra connector on the back (Blue Tooth ?), but otherwise connects perfectly to my 2008 harness. The chassis matches my OE HU in front panel and chassis screws, with some differences in metal plating finishes. It functions fine, and fixed my missing pixels more cheaply than if I had bought an eBay kit and done all the soldering. I did have to notch the plastic dash support to clear the antenna connector plug and cable because it is turned 90deg compared to the original HU antenna connector.

I will title it "Replacing 2008 128i OE Radio with Newer OE head unit" and link to it. For under $100 with tax and shipping this was a great fix.
Appreciate 1
asbrr540.50