08-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #45
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
Anything but the CSF upgraded unit . Hardly makes any difference at all
Are you referring to the radiator (7045) or the E92 M3 DCT cooler (8042) that's supposed to be a plug-and-play replacement for the 1M oil cooler?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #46
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Are you referring to the radiator (7045) or the E92 M3 DCT cooler (8042) that's supposed to be a plug-and-play replacement for the 1M oil cooler?
My mistake. The upgraded radiator works very well, lots of documented success with that part.

However the upgraded oil cooler (also trans cooler for E9x M3) isnt worth the money if you plan to do any moderate track time.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #47
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
My mistake. The upgraded radiator works very well, lots of documented success with that part.

However the upgraded oil cooler (also trans cooler for E9x M3) isnt worth the money if you plan to do any moderate track time.
I couldn't find much information on its core size.

The ER and Dinan units cost much more, but are both about 2.5-3x larger capacity and surface area compared to the stock unit. When my car is apart, I'll make sure that the one I am buying (for $125) is actually bigger, LOL. The external thermostat will also help a lot because it will eliminate the flow restriction at the stock thermostat and allow 100% of the oil to flow through the cooler.

I am also jumping ship from Cobb to MHD and can flash to sport cooling mode at the track which will lower the coolant thresholds. In my experience, the stock radiator seems to be able to bring the temps down quickly when asked to do so. If that proves false, I will upgrade the radiator next.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #48
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I couldn't find much information on its core size.

The ER and Dinan units cost much more, but are both about 2.5-3x larger capacity and surface area compared to the stock unit. When my car is apart, I'll make sure that the one I am buying (for $125) is actually bigger, LOL. The external thermostat will also help a lot because it will eliminate the flow restriction at the stock thermostat and allow 100% of the oil to flow through the cooler.

I am also jumping ship from Cobb to MHD and can flash to sport cooling mode at the track which will lower the coolant thresholds. In my experience, the stock radiator seems to be able to bring the temps down quickly when asked to do so. If that proves false, I will upgrade the radiator next.
Keep in mind I have that CSF oil cooler and I'm telling you not to get it. Granted I run my car hard on track, but I can could hit almost 300*F oil temps on command.

Its a stock sized cooler with one extra row, a more dense fin pack, and "B tube" technology. They claim that it is like 30% more efficient than stock. That may actually be true however I believe you need a whole lot more than 30% to keep up with the demands of these (even mildly tuned) cars driven hard on track.

If you are interested, I'll always sell you mine when I upgrade next year
Appreciate 2
CarJunkie2616.50
ayao641.50
      08-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #49
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
That's good info. CSF is crossed off the list!

I have heard good results with ER and Dinan, but am trying to avoid spending that much coin. Let me know what you upgrade to.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:56 PM   #50
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
That's good info. CSF is crossed off the list!

I have heard good results with ER and Dinan, but am trying to avoid spending that much coin. Let me know what you upgrade to.
Yup I have heard the same. ER dual and Dinan both work well. While not quite as popular I also hear good things about Stett (which is a little cheaper).

In my case I am sort of a DIY guy with a lot of tools so I will probably just fit the largest Setrab core I can in there along with custom AN lines, custom ducting, custom bracket. There are some off-the-shelf solutions to get AN fittings on the stock oil filter housing. Not sure about the thermostat, but given the Dinan kit doesn't seem to change it I am likely to leave it, or maybe throw in an AD engineering mod (keeps the stock thermostat but makes it open at a slightly lower temp).
Appreciate 0