Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Sad to see this thread just die...all that love and effort to restore these cars and then like a poof of smoke, Glassoman55 is gone...
Is there anyone else restoring 1Ms?
Did he close his shop?

Quote:
This bothers me also...what happens in 15-20 years when parts start drying up and the car can't be repaired as all the salvage cars are premium priced and BMW is no longer making 1M parts....
The good part is many mechanicals pair up with M3 products. Sheet metal might be a problem, though.
One of the things 1M haters always mention as a negative, which I'll summarize here as "not bespoke enough", has always been a positive for me. The majority of our engine is in a shit ton of BMWs. Our running gear is in a fairly large production run M3 series. A fair portion of our sheet metal and interior pieces are in the same generation 1 series sedans.

I don't want to jinx myself, but I I get a little bit of comfort over the fact I have some amount of control over the pieces which will likely be the rarest: the subset of sheet metal and interior that is exclusive to the 1M.
      08-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #376
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Quote:
Sad to see this thread just die...all that love and effort to restore these cars and then like a poof of smoke, Glassoman55 is gone...
Did he close his shop?

Quote:
This bothers me also...what happens in 15-20 years when parts start drying up and the car can't be repaired as all the salvage cars are premium priced and BMW is no longer making 1M parts....
The good part is many mechanicals pair up with M3 products. Sheet metal might be a problem, though.
One of the things 1M haters always mention as a negative, which I'll summarize here as "not bespoke enough", has always been a positive for me. The majority of our engine is in a shit ton of BMWs. Our running gear is in a fairly large production run M3 series. A fair portion of our sheet metal and interior pieces are in the same generation 1 series sedans.

I don't want to jinx myself, but I I get a little bit of comfort over the fact I have some amount of control over the pieces which will likely be the rarest: the subset of sheet metal and interior that is exclusive to the 1M.
Well said. I don't worry about 1M parts. There are a bazillion N54 cars for "basic" things and a mazillion E9X M3s for the better mechanical stuff.

Bodywork is the only main thing and I think it won't be impossible. If you look at the 2002 Turbo for example it's so easy to get fenders for them mainly because so many 2002 owners have made "fake" 2002 Turbos. Sound familiar 135i owners??? LOL
      08-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #377
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Well said. I don't worry about 1M parts. There are a bazillion N54 cars for "basic" things and a mazillion E9X M3s for the better mechanical stuff.

Bodywork is the only main thing and I think it won't be impossible. If you look at the 2002 Turbo for example it's so easy to get fenders for them mainly because so many 2002 owners have made "fake" 2002 Turbos. Sound familiar 135i owners??? LOL
It's even easier for the current production cars; you can just use Camry parts.

:-)
      08-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #378
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post

LOL!!
      08-14-2018, 08:37 PM   #379
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post

Did you mean Camry... or ... wait for it........ Civic...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:17 PM   #380
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
He's back (post of today in the M2 Competition section):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassoman55 View Post
I feel in the coming months we will unfortunately see more M2C wrecks....
When the 1M's came out the problem was "too much" car and "not enough" driver....
These trends tend to repeat.....
Not sure what the circumstances were of this wreck and I don't want want to imply the driver was at fault , but one thing for sure , you need to have a healthy
respect for the power these cars can put out...even bone stock....and if your going to turn the nannies off you'd better be an above average driver....
One major factor in almost all the wrecked 1M's I bought and fixed was worn out tires....
not sure that tires had anything to do with this M2C going off the road but if the temperatures were low and the driver didn't get some heat into them it would be like driving on ice.....
just my 2 cents.....
Im in the process of rebuilding a 2018 M2 that I just bought at auction in Nevada.....car had about 4500 miles on it and yes, all 4 tires were toast.....Continentals to be more specific....
Ill be keeping my eyes open for a M2C to rebuild....
Please drive safe and make me wait along time for one.....
ayao627.50
FIRSTM143.50
      10-31-2018, 11:44 PM   #381
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
He's back (post of today in the M2 Competition section):
He speaks the truth!
Appreciate 0