BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #89
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport E88

Lightbulb Small TTF integrated backup system for $50

Am not ready to spend $600 + for the BimmerTech system and the very involved hard to install procedure that zx10guy has illustrated, even though it looks like the best system.

I found what may be another alternative and very inexpensive. Its under the name of Boscam (click) and Auto-Vox (click) and only about $50 on Amazon. It's a very simple, one wire setup that uses the backup tail lights as the on/off power with no other wiring requirements and no need to pull the dash apart, code anything, etc.

This display is about 5" x 3" TTF and I think I can mount it in the cubby hole just in front of the shift lever on my 135i convertible. I would then only have to run the wire from it back to the camera mounted on the license plate and hook into the backup tail light positive for the power and on/off signal.

The backup view on the 135i convertible is beyond horrible, it is scary. I have the sonar type parking warning in the display and that helps, but only for parking, it doesn't give me any view to the rear and with the top up, the rear window is really small with huge blind spots on either side. I guess the BMW engineers thought I would have the top down all the time.

I'm going to try this system out and will let you know if I can integrate it into my dash system in that cubby hole in a way so that it doesn't stand out and look bad and hopefully will help with the rear view while pulling out of parking spots, etc. I will also still have my PDC visual and audible sonar system in the main screen as well.

Last edited by doane2u; 02-06-2019 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
..Rush..973.50
      02-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #90
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Can anyone tell me what the color coding is for the backup tail lite bulbs on the 135i? I am going to need to tap into that wire for this unit to work.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #91
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

On my E88 the backup light ground wire is Brown and the reverse controlled hot wire is black and purple. Wiring has gone well, but I am faced with some sort of interface problem, maybe because of the CAN system? The camera and monitor work great when connected to the battery (car running or off) which is at about 14 volts, but if I connect it to the backup light wire, when I put it in reverse, the screen comes on briefly and then goes blank.
I'm going to check the voltage on the backup wire tomorrow and see if it is maybe below the trigger voltage of the camera system? Doesn't seem possible, because the rear light bulbs are 12 volt, but...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:11 AM   #92
bobdavisnpf
Hapless Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 135i, '89 E30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
On my E88 the backup light ground wire is Brown and the reverse controlled hot wire is black and purple. Wiring has gone well, but I am faced with some sort of interface problem, maybe because of the CAN system? The camera and monitor work great when connected to the battery (car running or off) which is at about 14 volts, but if I connect it to the backup light wire, when I put it in reverse, the screen comes on briefly and then goes blank.
I'm going to check the voltage on the backup wire tomorrow and see if it is maybe below the trigger voltage of the camera system? Doesn't seem possible, because the rear light bulbs are 12 volt, but...
I'd suggest picking up and installing a relay so you're using the backup light tap for signal only, as illustrated by StubbyBlue: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...6&postcount=76
      02-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #93
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdavisnpf View Post
I'd suggest picking up and installing a relay so you're using the backup light tap for signal only, as illustrated by StubbyBlue: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...6&postcount=76
Thanks, but I figured out the problem. BMW is using some sort of AC signal riding on the DC. A simple rectifier was all that was needed. I found one on Amazon for $10 and it solved the problem. click here

I managed to thread the cable from the camera mounted on the license plate, into the trunk door and after quite a bit of effort, and using a lot of KY jelly and a pull wire, I got it through the flexible wire tube and into the trunk where I hooked the power and ground wires up to the back up light wires through the rectifier I mentioned above.

My next big hurdle is getting the single signal/power wire from the back trunk through the bulkhead to the back seat where I can then probably tuck it under the carpet or other things till I get it up to the dash to plug it into the camera screen.

Any ideas on getting through that bulkhead? I started to take the back seat bottom out but it seems to be held in with something and I don't want to force it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #94
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

It's not held in by any fasteners. I know it's a bit scary, but pull up hard on the front lip of the bottom seat cushion. I did this to run the camera/power cables for my install to the front. It's been a while so I don't remember the exact routing. But I think I followed a factory harness/cable bundle and ran the cable that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #95
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OK, thanks, will try it again today... was getting really frustrated yesterday evening trying to find a way to get the cable over to the battery compartment from the side where it comes down from that tube that connects to the lid and then how to get it through the bulkhead to the interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:00 PM   #96
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb DIY Easy $60 Rear View Camera Install

Did a DIY walk through on my camera install for my 2012 135i convertible E88 but it may help others wanting a camera without costing a lot and involving a lot of complicated install labor.
See it here

Appreciate 1
      04-11-2020, 05:30 AM   #97
Bravo007
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series e82 125i

i recommend you to check this complete procedure about bluetooth backup camera iphone
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:57 PM   #98
billy12321
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I just usually stick with the parking sensors they work pretty good and with such a small car I don't need a back up camera.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #99
Javakevy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Exclamation Aftermarket camera w/ iDrive

Hey All - It’s my first post with my New to me 2013 BMW 128I with IDrive. I Purchased a trunk insert back up camera and did all the hard work with fishing it through to the center console. However, when I opened up the iDrive unit, there is no RCA plug to insert. I think I am stuck and don’t know how to move forward.

Is there an adapter I can purchase to transfer the RCA to the existing OEM headhunt? I know Bimmertech sells a retrofit option - but $630 is out of my price range. I have the convertible, so backing up with the top up is terrible.

Any help would be appreciated as I sit here in tears after 6 hours of installing the wire only to find out the connection may not work.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:56 PM   #100
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javakevy View Post
Hey All - It’s my first post with my New to me 2013 BMW 128I with IDrive. I Purchased a trunk insert back up camera and did all the hard work with fishing it through to the center console. However, when I opened up the iDrive unit, there is no RCA plug to insert. I think I am stuck and don’t know how to move forward.

Is there an adapter I can purchase to transfer the RCA to the existing OEM headhunt? I know Bimmertech sells a retrofit option - but $630 is out of my price range. I have the convertible, so backing up with the top up is terrible.

Any help would be appreciated as I sit here in tears after 6 hours of installing the wire only to find out the connection may not work.
The only solution I can suggest is to add a second screen. My entire wireless unit from Boscam only cost $99. It included the camera and a screen that I mounted just to the left of the glove box. Maybe you can find a screen that will accept the RCA input cables.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #101
gorilla
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

This should help: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:22 PM   #102
Javakevy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Thanks for the suggestions. Based on the link, it seems like the emulator add-on only works if PDC is already on the vehicle. Alas, mine doesn’t have that option. So I think I’ll go the route adding a separate monitor. Since I already have iDrive, I think the cigarette ashtray area is the most likely solution. I saw the one idea of having the cut-out rubbery foam to fit that area. Any other decent looking solutions to make that fit nicely?

Thanks again for the help. I’ve been obsessing over these forums as a reader since I started researching BMWs to purchase. You all are the best!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #103
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Based on the link, it seems like the emulator add-on only works if PDC is already on the vehicle. Alas, mine doesn’t have that option. So I think I’ll go the route adding a separate monitor. Since I already have iDrive, I think the cigarette ashtray area is the most likely solution. I saw the one idea of having the cut-out rubbery foam to fit that area. Any other decent looking solutions to make that fit nicely?

Thanks again for the help. I’ve been obsessing over these forums as a reader since I started researching BMWs to purchase. You all are the best!
Just so you have a choice, here's what I did. Mounting was accomplished with heavy duty Velcro.

Peace... Mack
Attached Images

So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #104
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I don't know which emulator you're looking at in that thread. That thread is pretty long. The MMI in the Bimmer Tech unit is really the same MMI box sold as a generic kit or via other outlets. Bimmer Tech installs their own firmware which I don't know if there is any dramatic difference over the generic firmware. The one thing you do get is customer support from Bimmer Tech which has been pretty good for me. I have the Bimmer Tech kit installed without PDC in my car.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43337.50
      08-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #105
mmmm_beer
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Convertible

Garage List
You might want to consider adding this https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...32066140438664 it would give you the connector for the reverse camera as well as giving you CarPlay/Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #106
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

Interesting. Did you install this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmm_beer View Post
You might want to consider adding this https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...32066140438664 it would give you the connector for the reverse camera as well as giving you CarPlay/Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #107
mmmm_beer
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Convertible

Garage List
I have not. I have read a lot of reviews and so far they all are pretty decent.

I am am trying to justify spending the money on this or just getting a 4 series vert already equipped with a camera installed. The lack of a backup camera is my biggest gripe with this car. When the top is closed and need to back out of a parking spot, I have go really slow and listen for anyone honking.
Appreciate 0