BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
krando67
Rep
Drives: '10 128i N51 Black

P0440 and Fuel cap off after Fuel Pump Replacement N51

Good day everyone,

So a couple months back, I replaced the fuel pump on my N51 2010 128i. The fuel pump is different than the N52, that's why I'm mentioning it. After replacement, it was fine for a little while after which, my SES came on. Code P0440, Evaporative Emissions System. I replaced the gas cap with new one from the dealer which solved the problem for a while. Later, I noticed that it would come on around 80 miles after I reset the tripmeter (after getting gas) and would go away when I have around a quarter tank left. Also, randomly it thinks that my gas cap is not on.

I should also mention that while waiting for the new fuel pump, all fuel evaporated, the tank went completely dry and I filled it with a jerry can (brand new jerry can so no fuel mixture).

Also, last time I filled up, the fuel pump died for a little while and then came back to life. This one might be on its way out too.

Anybody have any input on what I should try? I'm going to take the fuel pump out to inspect it. I just drove it and tried to disassemble it but fuel went everywhere from the metal fuel line. So I'll wait until tonight and give it a shot.

Thanks,
Krando67
Appreciate 0