BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
wmb007k
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

BMW BMS Cowl Filter Smoking with Water

Hi, I just installed the BMS Cowl Filter. I poured a cup of water from the windshield and there was steam coming from the engine compartment (underneath the hood) near the windshield. Is this normal? It seems like water is falling directly into the engine bay rather than to the sides.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb007k View Post
Hi, I just installed the BMS Cowl Filter. I poured a cup of water from the windshield and there was steam coming from the engine compartment (underneath the hood) near the windshield. Is this normal? It seems like water is falling directly into the engine bay rather than to the sides.
I just viewed a DIY install video for cowl filters on YouTube and it looks to me like when you remove the cowl, you are removing the channel that drains water to the sides and into the cowl drains. Not sure what else you would expect with this mod. It looks to me like water is simply going to drain down your windshield onto your engine.

After all, the cowl was not designed and built to simply add weight and complexity to your car. It is there for a number of beneficial reasons.

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i White/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb007k View Post
BMS usually makes great products but I can't wrap my head around their cowl filters. I don't understand why anyone would completely remove the cowl just to shave off a few pounds. It's designed to do so much more than sit there and drain water from the windshield. Most importantly it protects the DME.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
wmb007k
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Are there issues with water falling directly into the engine area through the middle of the windshield wiper?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

Sounds like this delete option is not such a great idea, it counters the engineering design...maybe add a water drain channel? But then you are basically right back where you started...
Metallic Black on Black 2009 135i, new waterpump, OFHGs, and VC gasket...RB turbo PCV valve (ooo), NGK performance plugs...V3Cobb access port stage 2+FMIC, Injen intake, Mishimoto clone FMIC, ARM charge pipe, ARM downpipes, Whiteline subframe bushings
Appreciate 1