BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-20-2016, 01:31 AM   #1
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Third 1er's the charm? 135i -> 1M Conversion!

Current:

What are the current mods on the 1er?

Engine
- JB4 G5 ISO/MHD Tune
- Stett Chargepipe w/ Synapse BOV
- Big Tom Intercooler
- BMS Dual Cone Intake
- BMS Oil Catch Can
- BMS Cowl Filters
- BMS 2.3gallon/Cooling Mist Meth Injection Kit
- cp-e Catless Downpipes (Switching to high flow cats later)
- Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust (Axle + Mids)
- Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator

Suspension
- Complete M3 Suspension Retrofit (Front/Rear/LSD/Brakes) (In progress)
- Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers (135i)
- Vorshlag Camber Plates
- Mason Engineering Strut Brace
- M3 Steering Rack Retrofit
- Forgestar CF-5 Wheels
- APEX PS-7 Wheels

Exterior
- OEM LCI Blackline Taillights
- OEM Euro LCI Headlights
- RZ Hood w/Aerocatch
- RZ Diffuser
- RZ GT Wing
- M4 Style Trunk Spoiler
- RW CF Grilles

Interior
- BMWP Electronic Steering Wheel V2
- OEM ZHP Shift Knob
- BMS SSK (Switching to either UUC or Dinan)
- OEM M3 Cluster
- RZ CF Interior Door Panels (Front)

What are your future mods for the 1er? (Top is priority)
- M3 Coils, Fresh Bushings, possibly sway bar upgrades.
- BBK upgrade
- Additional cooler or upgraded dual oil coolers

I’ll be updating the thread pretty frequently. Feel free to ask questions, or even perhaps if you need help with the conversion process! I probably won’t be of much help, as there’s LOADS of information on the forums! Thanks for reading!!

For more photos of the current car, and future, follow my Instagram, @IAMHNRY!

It’s been a long time since I’ve worked on my build thread! So much has happened, and I’ve learned so much about the car in the past few years! To quickly summarize my history, it started with a 2009 AW 128i that I purchased back in 2013. It was my first BMW, and I had no idea what kind of world I was getting myself into. The car was bone stock, and I had no idea what I wanted to do with it (other than to DD it).

Fast forward 6 months later, I wanted to upgrade, so I traded the 128i in for the 135i (Old Build Thread - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881797).

I ended up getting the same colored car, now with the turbo . It also had a couple of nice aesthetic pieces, and I just absolutely loved the drive. I guess this is where I really started getting deep into the modding/maintenance on the vehicle. Car had basic bolt on mods, 19” 313s, with some nice CF bits. I’ve dealt with the infamous WP failure, oil leaks, boost leaks, starting issues, *etc*… haha! It was a great learning experience, and I’ve had the car since until Oct 2015.

Some lady in her Q5 decides to not yield, makes the turn going at least 40MPH, and then rams into me as I slam on my brakes.

That was my first accident and I face-planted myself into the airbag. Thankfully, I came out with no scratches or bruises, maybe a little bit of neck/back pain. All the work that I’ve been putting into the car, whether it was maintaining or modding, was just gone down the drain in an instant. Insurance claimed it as a total loss (frame damage/airbag deploying), and I was out of a 1er. This literally happened 1 week later after I picked up an Abarth too…..

Now I was not planning on getting another 1er (at that time, wait for the M2 or something else). But I found a deal that I could not resist, and for the price, it was a STEAL! I’ll just say that the car was FBO track prepped with low mileage!

I actually found out that the 1st owner was a 1addict member . The car lived in Germany for the entire time, and was shipped to the US. From what I’ve researched, the car was driven hard, thanks Dackelone for the heads up :P. Now, before flaming me, normally I wouldn’t prefer purchasing a car that was heavily modded or driven hard. But learning from my past car, I was pretty confident in my DIY skills, hah. Luckily, there was a mod/maintenance list, so that gave me an idea on how the car was taken care of. I picked up the car, drove it back, and I have to say, I was very impressed! Originally, I had the intention of flipping the car, but that 17 hour drive convinced me not too! The car was already FBO, and I was pretty happy with the amount of power it was already making. There were very little things that I did to the car.

TL;DR – Purchased a AW 128i, traded in for a AW 135i 6 months later, got totaled by someone 2 years later, bought another JB 135i 1 month after, got hit recently, and now…

Onto the fun part… I’ve been eyeing the 1M conversion project for a long time (since the white 135i), and of course, it was just too damn expensive. I guess you can say that I was very inspired by the other builds (ilikebmxbikes, chen, venom, tun3d, uberschnell, 1littlemonster, etc.) I was actually in the process of saving up/crunching numbers, and until last month, something magical happened. I was swapping out my headlights, and some guy just reverses into my car. He hit the car hard enough where it launched it 3-4 feet forward. The bumper was cracked, and my diffuser was hit as well  (Check out my FS thread!). I was able to get a decent amount from insurance, and now that 1M conversion seemed very tempting! I started to get quotes from multiple dealerships + bodyshops. I did find a place that did quality work for a very reasonable price. Originally, I was going to do a custom fabrication for the rear quarterpanel, but now, I’ll be ordering the 1M quarterpanels!

So what’s the current status on the conversion? So far, I’ve placed an order for all the 1M bits through my local dealer (Shoutout to ice7 & Jose@BMWofFairfax!). I actually picked up some parts this past weekend, and I’d like to give a big thanks to @chenchen, tommyfyeah , Xaeryan , and AriKoRN for the local meetup + parts! I was able to source the tires, wheels, M3 steering rack, side markers, fenders, sideskirts, 1 quarterpanel, exhaust, and the battery tray/hoses!!! Also ordered a diffuser! This will definitely save some time, as I can install some of these, while I “patiently” wait for the other parts to come in. I would also like to give a big thanks to ilikebmxbikes , @chenchen, TUN3D (DIY Guides), for all the advice and information!

Car is torn apart front/rear, hehe.

Also here is my part-out thread! http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272562

Last edited by nacaruh; 04-19-2018 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
Matticus913469.50
Bimmer TV125.00
      06-20-2016, 04:52 AM   #2
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Very nice. Hope to see it riding around sometime when it's done!
      06-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

meh... that'll buff out
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh how the times have changed HAHAHAHA
6MT/CDV Delete/Injen Intake/berk race exhaust/ Cyba Scoops/ECS cryo rotors/Axxis ultimate pads/H&R coils/BBS LM-esque lol/BMW PE front/whiteline sway/and did i mention 2200 at 1 ohm ...eyeing the auto diff currently
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Very nice. Hope to see it riding around sometime when it's done!
Thanks! I'm hoping it goes smoothly without any issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
meh... that'll buff out
Yeah as soon as the appraiser got out of his car, looked at mine, and immediately said it was totaled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechavore884 View Post
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh how the times have changed HAHAHAHA
I know right?? Never thought my journey with the 1 would venture in this deep!

Anyways, I placed in my other order for the front bumper, passenger rear quarterpanel, fender liner housing cover, and some bolts.
Manager told me that the small bits are already here, so I'll be picking them up tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep

Just received my first shipment! These parts came a lot faster than I expected! Now for the bumpers and the other quarterpanel.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
ryan.ferguson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Coupe DCT

Garage List
BMW of Fairfax is a great dealership to deal with! I would love to see this build at some point, I'm in Loudoun County.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.ferguson View Post
BMW of Fairfax is a great dealership to deal with! I would love to see this build at some point, I'm in Loudoun County.
Are you in our DMV 1addicts group? I'm in Fairfax county. We're actually doing a run to skyline this coming Saturday! Come join!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep

Tackled the cannister hoses yesterday! Thanks mechavore884 for the extra hand!

It was a very straightforward process except the LPHP hose.
There seemed to be 2 braces that was holding up my fuel tank. First bolt was easy, but that second one was complete PITA. I tried a impact wrench (320ftlb), breaker bar, and that thing did NOT budge!! I actually gave up, and started to shove the hose with an extension, and that actually worked! Definitely need some patience.

Mounted the heatshield, exhaust, bumper guide covers...Still need to modify the scavenge air line, and extend the wiring harness that connects to the cannister.

I also got to do a test fitment with the wheels!

Bumpers just came in as well! Picked it up asap!!!!

Appreciate 1
Matticus913469.50
      06-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #10
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

the fight that this was HAHAHAHAH...I seriously can't wait to see the end result
6MT/CDV Delete/Injen Intake/berk race exhaust/ Cyba Scoops/ECS cryo rotors/Axxis ultimate pads/H&R coils/BBS LM-esque lol/BMW PE front/whiteline sway/and did i mention 2200 at 1 ohm ...eyeing the auto diff currently
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #11
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Kudos doing all this in the parking lot! I usually have a tough time working on my car with a lift!
      06-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
rob24ert
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

^
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #13
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Kudos doing all this in the parking lot! I usually have a tough time working on my car with a lift!
Haha thanks! I usually aim for the morning to do all my work because it's just too hot once noon hits. Unfortunately, that tree does not provide enough shade
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #14
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecaf
Quote:
Haha thanks! I usually aim for the morning to do all my work because it's just too hot once noon hits. Unfortunately, that tree does not provide enough shade
Shame. If you were closer I'd offer you my lift in the garage.

Who is doing your rear arches?
      06-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #15
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Nice! I always enjoy watching all the 1M conversion builds come together! Best of luck with the build!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 12:25 AM   #16
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Shame. If you were closer I'd offer you my lift in the garage.

Who is doing your rear arches?
I appreciate it!
Honestly, the jack is sufficient. For the DIYers, it's really the exhaust, battery tray, and the canister hoses. Everything else can be taken on/off while the cars on the floor (with the exception of people with back problems :P).

As for the quarterpanel work, there's a local shop here, Blockstar, that does custom bodywork on all kinds of cars. They gave me a very reasonable price, and were going to fabricate the rear flares. Until I ended up with a quarterpanel, so I just bought the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Nice! I always enjoy watching all the 1M conversion builds come together! Best of luck with the build!
Thank you very much! I've also enjoyed watching other people's 1M conversion builds come alive!

Just some photos to throw in, our DMV 1addicts group recently went on a cruise this past weekend. Also invited the Fiats out, and some Porsches came out to play as well! Here are some photos!

Last edited by nacaruh; 06-28-2016 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 2
Matticus913469.50
      06-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #17
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

looks like a promising build. Have fun with it
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #18
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch View Post
looks like a promising build. Have fun with it
Thank you!
Waiting on new bolts/nuts from the dealership. I figure it's best to replace it new ones rather than re-using the rusty old ones
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #19
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Need moar. Hope to see you around the DMV
      07-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #20
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Need moar. Hope to see you around the DMV
I'll be putting up another event soon on our FB group, you should come out then!

As for updates, I've been sick for the past week, so there wasn't much progress with the car.

But...I couldn't really do anything with the car because I was waiting for new screws/bolts/rivets to come in! And the last quarter panel finally arrived from Germany!

Appreciate 1
Matticus913469.50
      07-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #21
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecaf View Post
I'll be putting up another event soon on our FB group, you should come out then!

As for updates, I've been sick for the past week, so there wasn't much progress with the car.

But...I couldn't really do anything with the car because I was waiting for new screws/bolts/rivets to come in! And the last quarter panel finally arrived from Germany!
Very cool! And yeah I'll try to make it to the next meet, I was away for the last one. It's rare that I have a free weekend unfortunately
      07-17-2016, 05:57 AM   #22
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Very cool! And yeah I'll try to make it to the next meet, I was away for the last one. It's rare that I have a free weekend unfortunately
I'll keep you posted!
This update is a little late, but just some progress pics.
Fitment is spot on. There was some trimming & cutting done to the fender liners, FYI.
Another thing is why my FMIC is sitting so high...
I'm still "patiently" waiting for the body shop, as they've been super busy...

Appreciate 0