BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep
Drives:

135i review - 1800 miles

Been away from the board for a while - working a lot, driving the rest of the time.

Observations:
1. All the great things said/written about the car are true. Key words: engine, handling, interior finish, driving position, steering wheel feel, etc. All thumbs up. It's a driver's car. Won't bother repeating what my fellow Addicts have said before me...
2. Personally, every time I walk to the car to get in or walk away from the car after parking, I have a great big smile on my face.
3. My smile gets even wider when I remember what the haters and the idiot (writer-not-driver) reviewers (The Truth About Cars, etc.) didn't like about the car.
a. It fucking looks awesome in person. It seems like there's almost nothing serperating that front lip from that huge front wheel. Love that crease along the sides, the tail lights, the over squatness of it, looks better and better every time I see it.
b. The whole car a feels nice and tight, takes me back to college....:wink:
c. The more the haters knock it, the better for me, because I've seen countless Porsches and Vettes, several Ferraris and a few Lamborgini's. YET TO SEE ANOTHER 135. Keep hatin'...get a 3 series so you can watch yourself coming and going...
3. I stalled four times pulling out of the dealer lot because I'd never owned a stick before. My CA wouldn't let me drive it home without driving around the block a few (ahem) times. Had to push the start button on my NEW CAR at a stop sign with four cars lined up behind me....my CA and me laughing our asses off because...IT WAS FUN!! Don't be afraid. Take the leap and get the manual and don't look back. No offense, auto drivers can rationalize all they like. This car is meant for a manual transmission.

What I don't like:
1. IDrive is weak. I'm coming from an Acura, where the interface is awesome. No matter how you slice it, it is an inferior piece of technology, though an determined driver can make it work (like an abusive relationship). I can't live without a Nav, so in retrospect, I might have gone with a Garmin. The nav software/interface is, no doubt, SECOND RATE. Get much better in my 8 year old Acura. Too late for me. Do the research and decide carefully.
2. Even with the sports seats, my back hurts after an hour. Bought a "memory foam" car seat back support for about $18 at Target and it solved that problem, thought the memory foam gets really warm after about 2 hours (I've been going on 6 to 8 hour drives :biggrin. Seats are fine for short trips, just trouble after an hour or two. I've tried adjusting lumbar support (kind of a poor design - like someone is gradually introducing a wedge into your lower back). Maybe it's just me. If anyone else out there has had this problem, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Indifferent:
1. Stock radio (good enough). I'm mostly listening to the engine.
2. Backseats. My kid's going to be three in July and he has plenty of room. He keeps asking me to take him out in the race car again. Clearly, he doesn't have a problem with it. I haven't put an adult back there and probably won't for some time.
3. Xenon, sunroof, iPOD, blah blah blah, all nice features but NOT what I would call an "elemental" part of the driving experience. I'm glad I have it, could live without it and still look like this: :biggrin:

One last thing:
Crimson Red looks awesome. The car is exactly the right size for bright red. Any larger and it probably would just be too much red. It's all a matter of taste, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

All in all, don't try to make the car something it's not. If you need a bigger backseat, seek elsewhere. If you need a larger truck, seek elsewhere. If you need more fuel efficiency, seek elsewhere. If it's too much money, save yourself some grief and get something you can live with.
If you want a coupe that drives great and pulls hard and sounds AWESOME coming around a corner just before you shift from second to third, IT'S A GREAT CAR!!

Love it. Can't wait for tomorrow.
Fuck it, maybe I won't....:smile:

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Great review! I feel the same way about most things, especially iDrive. My friend's TSX has a much better interface.. touch the huge screen with ease. As for the back support, I get that in my BMW and I don't even have sport seats, it must be a BMW thing.. comfort is the sacrifice for sport I guess :biggrin:
      05-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
uffy
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Great review. Thanks.

I was thinking about getting a manual, and I had a buddy take me out in his Audi TT. We went to a parking lot for about 30 min. I started to catch on, but got tired after a long a day and what he said was a 30 lbs clutch.

After that experience I am not sure that I will go for a manual. I mean I want to be a bit more sporty, but I will be spending lots of time in a city and worry that it might be too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
40-n-8
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge350 View Post
My kid's going to be three in July and he has plenty of room. He keeps asking me to take him out in the race car again.
Funny, my 5-year-old calls my 135i a race car as well. Smart kids!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

on a different sidenote, you never know when you might HAVE to drive a manual (think emergency in someone else's car)
I don't think it then hurts anyone to take the time to learn once or twice in a controlled environment (like you did) and then move on with your life, just so that there isn't a whole bunch of cars out there that you are UNABLE to drive.

P.S. Great review man; I can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 01:17 AM   #6
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Once you learn some of the basic voice commands, maybe you'll appreciate idrive a little. Also, idrive allows your passenger to input a destination while the car is in motion something that others don't allow easily.
Does the 1er have the 6 shortcut keys?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

^^^
great write up - thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Great review... pretty much echoes my sentiments, except for the driving stick part, which I already knew how to do.

However, both of my previous stickshift cars had reverse on the far right side of the shifter, the most recent one being upper right.

So, on day 1 of driving my One, I was pulling away from a traffic light and kept shifting the car into reverse. WTF! Took a while to get used to having reverse where first gear should be! Kind of annoyed the person behind me though.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Nice write up! there is something about this car that just puts a smile on your face, isn't there?
      05-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
jack2233
Rep
Drives:

I've had my 135 for about three weeks now. Love it. After experimenting a bit with "spirited driving", I have noticed that the DTC seems to zap more power than I originally thought. It gives the car a less powerful feel even when I didn't think it would be engaged. Only when I turned both DSC and DTC both off did I realize that the DTC interferes before you can notice it (i.e. before any detectable wheel slippage). Taking both off makes this car have a very different feel.

This may seem obvious but I really didn't think that the DTC would have as much of an "all around" power-sucking effect as I think it does.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
e904me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i MT

Nice review. Did you try different seat adjustment settings besides the lumbar? When I had my 325 I remember the adjustments were crucial to getting it just right for comfort.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
Great review... pretty much echoes my sentiments, except for the driving stick part, which I already knew how to do.

However, both of my previous stickshift cars had reverse on the far right side of the shifter, the most recent one being upper right.

So, on day 1 of driving my One, I was pulling away from a traffic light and kept shifting the car into reverse. WTF! Took a while to get used to having reverse where first gear should be! Kind of annoyed the person behind me though.
So does that mean 1st is straight ahead or just a little to the left? Just curious. Might be nice to know before I make a fool of myself on a test drive (if I can find a stick around me)
      05-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #14
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I wish I had the lumbar (bad back) but will take your advice on the memory foam, thanks.

BTW, I'm only at 800 miles to date and craving more hp!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #15
reo5001
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW View Post
So does that mean 1st is straight ahead or just a little to the left? Just curious. Might be nice to know before I make a fool of myself on a test drive (if I can find a stick around me)
First is the first gear all the way to the left and up without putting resistance to it. Reverse is all the way to the left and up with a lot of resistance. I also had an awkward time getting used to it but it definitely makes it hard to be in the wrong gear.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #16
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

good review! time to update what you drive though maybe?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

very nice review!!! I did get NAV. I don't have the car yet, so I can't say if I made the best decision for myself. the pocket GPS are so cheap now (under $150.00 CAD). Even my retired aunt has one. But it was the integration that I was after, along with having to not have so many wires, du-dads etc, around while driving. I hope the seat is not that bad, I too can have a bad back...

Regards,
EspressoBoy

PS
I asked my avatar if I should cancel my order, cause I might now have doubts on the NAV option...

Yoda...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #18
1Nthuziast
Rep
Drives:

Funny how I ordered the car Sunday and I am so anxious to get it; I can't stop reading 1addicts and salivating! How will I survive the next 2-3 months?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #19
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegray View Post
Does the 1er have the 6 shortcut keys?
Yes the shortcut keys are there.

And....nice write-up Edge. Congrats on going for the manual. In no time it will become second nature and you will absolutely love it.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0