BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Wow I forgot to tell everyone!! The designers of the car said if I remember right that the engine can handle in the upwards of 30psi with a turbo. That would be some major power... But its a Hyundai... DAM IT

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #24
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Personally I don't believe theyre in the same class. Hyundai is certainly trying to improve their fleet and change their image.. but they still have a long way to go. I'm glad they are actually doing something to work in their market segment, can't say that much for Honda. Still, I would prefer the 128i over any of the Hyundai line.
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #25
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

It will be interesting to see what the new Hyundai's have to offer.
Under-estimating what Hyundai can do has proven to be a mistake in recent years. Hyundai quitely smiles when their competition under-estimates them, and quietly chips away at their competitor's market share. Quality keeps improving quicker than any other car maker I can think of. Thinking it will be crap just because the excel was crap is like driving a race by only looking in the rear view mirror, and only watching where you've been.

Will the Genesis be a BETTER car than a BMW? Nope.

Will it be a better value, while being CLOSE ENOUGH to a BMW to chip away some market share? You bet!

That's how Hyundai works. They just chip a bit of market away from BMW, a bit from Infinity, etc... They aren't trying to beat everyone, just cut out some space in the market for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #26
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I wouldn't say Hyundai is the best car company and nothing close to BMW but my first new car was a 2001 Tiburon and I drove that thing to 150k miles with no problems what-so-ever. I drove it like hell, beat the piss out of it, took it numerous times to the track, etc., etc. For $3K less than a Civic it had 40 more hp and 50 lb/ft stock so it works for a teenager car. I have personally seen several RD and RD2s (both 4 cyl.) with close to 400 hp without any heavy engine building. You're right, no matter what you are still driving a Hyundai but for the 40k price of the 135 you could have a 600+ hp car (albeit a FWD one). If you have not owned one, or at least have some personal experience with one, you can't really say they're crap...

P.S. The interiors ARE pretty crappy.
      05-04-2008, 11:44 PM   #27
SLrocket
Private
Rep
Drives:

it'll probably ride like a lexus ES. like you're driving a freakin pillow :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #28
roldan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I think that while Hyundai definitely lacks "street cred" or regular credibility, their stuff has been getting a lot better. All my friends who have Hyundais say they're boring, but pretty bulletproof in terms of reliability.

At the same time, there are clearly a lot of pretty smart people working for Hyundai and I believe they could pull off a well-performing car, even if it lacks a roundel. Wikipedia says 306hp on regular, 312hp on premium (you get a choice!?) with an optional LSD. I'm sure it'll lack the feel of a BMW but I think they're really shooting more for the G37.

The other interesting thing is that since they're new to the market, I think they could do a great job of being friendly towards enthusiasts -- there's probably nothing better for a new entry to get people to talk up their car than to be supportive of the car nuts with mods and stuff, since those are the people whose friends ask them (us? ) for advice when they're buying a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #29
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Until the Hyundai actually comes out it is worthless to compare the two cars. Will BMW have a better interior? Probably. But the Genesis is going to be larger, quite quick and will offer a way to undercut BMW by thousands of dollars by offering 90% of the experience for 70% of the price. They have gotten quite a bit better recently and will definitely steal some buyers from 1 and 3 series, especially people who aren't crazy about 1 series styling or size.

The Hyundai also has a much better warranty and has a reputation for reliability in line with BMW. People are afraid of used or older BMWs because of the great expense in fixing them. Hyundais don't suffer that problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #30
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Timex versus Rolex. Both tell time, but one will never be the other.

The Hyundai looks like a nice car. It'll be a little rough in some areas, smooth in others. Even if Hyundai is almost up with Honda and Toyota, I don't really see any Honda's or Toyotas that really compare with the 128i.

The 128i is all BMW. Premium German build and performance in line with a long heritage of sport coupes. Distinctive look and feel. You know you're getting something good...
      05-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #31
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

People are bashing it because its a Hyundai. I really hate brand snobs. Wait until we see the car then we can know how it drives, sounds, and realiable or not. Im sure that the interior will be nicer in the Hyundai than the 1 series.(Bmw interiors are Fugly IMO functional yet ugly)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #32
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

This Hyundai will get looks from buyers intending to get American or Japanese cars. For example, some one thinking about an Accord V6 coupe.

It will take a while for Hyundai to take away BMW shoppers.
      05-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #33
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by roldan View Post
Wikipedia says 306hp on regular, 312hp on premium (you get a choice!?)
I hope this becomes the industry standard. There is no reason why modern computer controlled engines can't run on both regular and premium gas with just a bit of ECU magic. Back when everything was controlled by mechanical units (carbs) requiring premium made sense. Now, it is just a silly farce.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #34
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
People are bashing it because its a Hyundai. I really hate brand snobs. Wait until we see the car then we can know how it drives, sounds, and realiable or not. Im sure that the interior will be nicer in the Hyundai than the 1 series.(Bmw interiors are Fugly IMO functional yet ugly)
I buy BMW’s for the quality and performance. BMW always has there cars in the top ratings across the line. You take other car Manufactures and they make one or two top cars and the rest do not even measure up. That is why I can order a BMW without driving it and be sure it will be a great car. I buy Toyota trucks exclusively as well.
If that is a brand snob I am a brand snob but to me I am after a quality product and the brand names usually are able to fit the bill. Spudz said it well about the watches, a Timex or Rolex, they both tell time. Difference is quality.
      05-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #35
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quality is relative. Some people have convinced themselves that the "quality" of a BMW is worth the premium. Others are more skeptical. Any car manufacturer is capable of turning in a subpar car that had some things overlooked or some cost cutting in order to maximize profit and met a price point.

Some people need the brand to feel that they have spent their money well and some do not. Without people grossly over paying for incremental differences between manufacturers then everyone would be driving a toyota.

BMW makes good cars but are they twice as good as some other brands? Hardly. I think the Genesis coupe is going to be a very good offering and will definitely steal sales from BMW, Honda, Mazda, Ford, etc. Someone with 50k won't necessarily look at the Hyundai but they also won't be looking at a 1 series.

Someone with 35k? There will definitely be cross shopping between Genesis and 128/135. And if the Hyundai can offer a similar feeling interior, similar feeling acceleration AND be thousands less with a better warranty? How much is the BMW badge really worth? Who cares if magazine racing says the 135 is 0-60 in 4.8 vs hyundai at 5.3 (just for arguments sake). That will feel plenty fast in a test drive. So what if the BMW pulls .05 better in a skidpad. All of those numbers are close enough to mean nothing on the butt dyno compared to a stack of hundred dollar bills in your pocket, especially if you are reaching to get the car anyway (as most entry level luxury coupe drivers are)

Until the Genesis debuts I am going to reserve judgement on BMW's superiority.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #36
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
I buy BMW’s for the quality and performance. BMW always has there cars in the top ratings across the line. You take other car Manufactures and they make one or two top cars and the rest do not even measure up. That is why I can order a BMW without driving it and be sure it will be a great car. I buy Toyota trucks exclusively as well.
If that is a brand snob I am a brand snob but to me I am after a quality product and the brand names usually are able to fit the bill. Spudz said it well about the watches, a Timex or Rolex, they both tell time. Difference is quality.
I hope my post will not offend you. Because of this attitude Bmw can come up with any ugly or bad useless car and people will still buy it because its a a Bmw. Look at Toyota they made their name with car built like tanks (my dad gave me his 283 000K corolla) as a first car. Look what is happening now recalls recalls, ugly cars,boring cars(its like driving an appliance). They made their names and now people buy them blindly. Car makers can do whatever they want people will still buy them without getting the most bang for the buck by looking elsewhere(I didnt say buy just looking). In Canada Honda, Toyota and some other manufacturers no discounts, no special interest rates, no promotions...Nothing...Lets say would you pay 300$ a month for a yaris or 300$(sonata,g6,malibu). You guys make youre pick.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #37
xtrema
Private
Rep
Drives:

Nobody knows as it hasn't hit the road yet.

Numbers sound good but it's not always about the numbers. And the TT BMW engine is still the best engine in class right now.

Considering it probably won't cross $30K (or not by much), I'm sure it's going to be an inferior car compare to 1/3 series.

But this class is about to light up with rumored return of RWD Celica, a similar Subaru and Silvia.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #38
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrema View Post
Nobody knows as it hasn't hit the road yet.

Numbers sound good but it's not always about the numbers. And the TT BMW engine is still the best engine in class right now.

Considering it probably won't cross $30K (or not by much), I'm sure it's going to be an inferior car compare to 1/3 series.

But this class is about to light up with rumored return of RWD Celica, a similar Subaru and Silvia.

Things should get interesting for sure

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #39
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 05 R6, 67 Camaro

i like my sister's new tiburon, much better than the first one she had, which was the second gen. its a lot for the money, i don't think people will cross-shop the two cars, but the hyundais are by no means junk, thats kia. :-P

the genesis coupe will more likely be the what the Civic SI used to be

pics link
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #40
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfiducia View Post
i like my sister's new tiburon, much better than the first one she had, which was the second gen. its a lot for the money, i don't think people will cross-shop the two cars, but the hyundais are by no means junk, thats kia. :-P

will more likely be the new Civic SI
FYI= Hyundai=Kia
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #41
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 05 R6, 67 Camaro

jokes get ruined when you explain them :-/
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #42
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Unless they stepped up the quality of their cars, I wouldn't look at them. I just came from driving a hyundai and the quality of the materials, inside and out, just suck. Luckily it wasn't me owning it, just driving it for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #43
xtrema
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLS View Post
Unless they stepped up the quality of their cars, I wouldn't look at them. I just came from driving a hyundai and the quality of the materials, inside and out, just suck. Luckily it wasn't me owning it, just driving it for the time being.
They cater to that market. Have you sat in a 08 Accord or Camry. Same shit.

BTW, Hyundai in general is a bit better than Kia but they are about equal.

The Genesis coupe is not a Tibby replacement and Tibby may be back later on. Genesis coupe will cover demographic of Civic Si up to G37
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #44
thesmokingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

check this thing out

Appreciate 0