BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #23
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Idiots like that usually stew in their own cesspool of problems. Dont' get in with him, just leave him to his sorry life.
      06-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #24
Jcrewsn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No234 View Post
HAHAHA yeah I do the same then I slow down and give them the thumbs up by how bad they got burnt then I drive away normally. What car was this guy driving?
Then they'll give you the finger in exchange for your thumbs up and proceed to speed off even though they now how badly they got wooped

Sillyness....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #25
vash_241987
Private
Rep
Drives: 99 corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrewsn View Post
In that situation I love to slow down more to the point where they are flailing their arms in the air and attempt to pass you... then you throw it in a low gear and take off...hahaha... I love doing that.... if someone is going to slow for your taste but still above the posted speed limit then cool your jets and change lanes!
I agree, there are times where I've been driving my parents mini van across the country, and people just get so impatient....in the slow lane If i'm in the fast lane and people behind me are going way above the posted, I just get out of my lane and let them pass...seems like they are always in a hurry. There was one time I was in AL and some douchbag in his redneck broncho is tail gating me for about a mile on a 4 lane raod people need to learn how to drive....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #26
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

those are people that are not successful in life
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #27
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by No234 View Post
HAHAHA yeah I do the same then I slow down and give them the thumbs up by how bad they got burnt then I drive away normally. What car was this guy driving?
That is exactly what I do pretty much every day around here. I normally drive about 5-9 mph over the posted limit () just so I don't get run over but there is always some ass-hat that decides he/she wants to try to own the back of my car. At this point I tap my brakes twice and if that doesn't work I slow down to the speed limit. This usually really pisses them off and they go tearing off around me, if they can, yelling and cussing up a storm. I just give them a which just pisses them off even more. The really stupid thing is that there are traffic lights about every 100 yards that are not timed together in this city. You are going to get caught out by them no matter what. So all that crap they do just allows me to pull right up to them and laugh so they can see me.
      06-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #28
BaNaNaBoy69
Canada
Rep
Drives: E88

Garage List
You're in Chicago right? Get some family together and give his care some good ol' TLC. Hehe..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #29
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

This is just as funny as the guy who looked at my car and yelled "You Fucking Jew!"

you just need to laugh at these assholes and move on.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #30
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i ///M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Life is 1% of what actually happens to you and 99% of how you react to it.

I wouldn't give it another thought.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #31
schleppcar
Speed Camera Hater
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 3.0 Deep Sea Blue/Tan

Liberally apply a 'real' embossed tattoo of your double kidneys to his backside next time he's walking to his car.

Life is way too short to skip good times when they come along!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh135i View Post
Driving home in Chicago, I was being careful to not #%@ my car up over the horrible roads in this area so i slow down over the speed bumps and the dips caused by road construction. I look behind me and this guy is riding my ass looking pretty irritated, even though I really wasnt going slow, I was just slowing down for bumps and dips. As I get to my parking garage, I stop to open the garage door. As the door is rising, the guy proceeds to lay on his horn, like Im just supposed to drive into the garage before the door is open. By this time I was getting irritated, so I very slowly begin moving into the garage. As the guy passes me, he yells " Get a real BMW!" along with alot of profanity. Turns out the guy parks in the same garage and pulls in also. After parking, my brother and the guy start arguing but eventually he leaves and goes inside. WTF is wrong with people these days? This guy knows what I drive, but he better not touch my baby or we may have problems.
Not that that guy would know or care, but the 1 IS one of the REAL-ist BMW's being made today.
To me it's much more "real" than some BMW models being made to satisfy the "brand" lovers vs. the REAL drivers of REAL automobiles.
What the hell is the X6 for? It looks like a Pontiac Aztek mated with a 5 series and the offspring was put on steroids. Ha!

BTW, those of you who go over the speed limit in the left lane, you need to move over to the "slower" right lanes when another car going even more over the speed limit approach from behind. It's just polite, curtious, and keeps traffic momentum moving.
There are days when I feel like driving slower than my usual fast, so when a car comes up fast behind me I simply signal and move over. It gives me a sense of peace. There is no good reason to keep you lane when others want to go faster in the fast lane. Now, if you're in the slow lanes and someone is still riding your ass, well, there's a special "circle' in hell for these folks. It's called satan's butthole.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #33
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Another rule of thumb is never go in left lane. The purpose of the lane is emergency and passing. Anyway most right lane will be fastest for most USA highways, I do not know why, but people prefer stay from left, perhaps because came from Asian countries where left hand traffic.
      06-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #34
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

We all know the feeling.
Past thread...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263553

even when we try to keep a low profile we get shit.
doesnt pay to say anything.
I was going to say something to the fat lady in the SUV today. Rather than parking, or at least pulling over, and walking to the 5 guys joint, she decided to make 8 cars behind her wait while she stopped in traffic to let her fat kids and mother out. They couldnt walk 40 yards, had to make us all wait.
Felt like asking her... "Dont you think they should allow fat people with SUV's to park in handicapped parking"?, "would save a lot of time for everyone!,...and we know your kids dont need any exercise, just lots of french fries.
Hey just had to get it off my chest because I didnt say it, sometimes it just aint worth it.
There are so many AH's out there.
...none who are BMW owners.

Last edited by Midgad; 06-15-2009 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #35
Justin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Definitely a d-bag. Unfortunately many average folk associate the low number of the 1 series with being cheap and crappy. Not that you should care that, but if you do, you could debadge. Even so, he probably would have spouted profanities even if you were in a 7 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #36
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Chicago drivers....got to love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh135i View Post
Driving home in Chicago, I was being careful to not #%@ my car up over the horrible roads in this area so i slow down over the speed bumps and the dips caused by road construction. I look behind me and this guy is riding my ass looking pretty irritated, even though I really wasnt going slow, I was just slowing down for bumps and dips. As I get to my parking garage, I stop to open the garage door. As the door is rising, the guy proceeds to lay on his horn, like Im just supposed to drive into the garage before the door is open. By this time I was getting irritated, so I very slowly begin moving into the garage. As the guy passes me, he yells " Get a real BMW!" along with alot of profanity. Turns out the guy parks in the same garage and pulls in also. After parking, my brother and the guy start arguing but eventually he leaves and goes inside. WTF is wrong with people these days? This guy knows what I drive, but he better not touch my baby or we may have problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #37
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
That is exactly what I do pretty much every day around here. I normally drive about 5-9 mph over the posted limit () just so I don't get run over but there is always some ass-hat that decides he/she wants to try to own the back of my car. At this point I tap my brakes twice and if that doesn't work I slow down to the speed limit. This usually really pisses them off and they go tearing off around me, if they can, yelling and cussing up a storm. I just give them a which just pisses them off even more. The really stupid thing is that there are traffic lights about every 100 yards that are not timed together in this city. You are going to get caught out by them no matter what. So all that crap they do just allows me to pull right up to them and laugh so they can see me.
you know, you probably should move over to the right, if he had room to go around you, you had room to get out of his way instead of cock blocking traffic
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #38
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
It is always the same. Someone sees the "smaller BMW" and wants to tailgate, or say "get a real BMW" or something like that. If I am on the highway, I just drop the pedal and leave them, and sure enough they drop back trying to pretend that they actually weren't trying to screw with me.

In your parking garage situation, I probably would have just been a bit of a snot back, done a nice brakestand, and leave him in a cloud of burning rubber. Kinda hard to call a car "less than real" if it sits there and smokes you. A picture (or action) is worth a thousand words.

I don't advocate doing this all the time, that would be a bit nuts. Just once in a while, for fun. A verbal argument with the guy is one thing. Making his "Real TOYota" or "Real Datsun" smell like burning rubber, that's more fun.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #39
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
you know, you probably should move over to the right, if he had room to go around you, you had room to get out of his way instead of cock blocking traffic
I was already going at least 5 MPH over the limit with the flow of traffic. There is no reason to tailgate and act like an ass on an normal road in the middle of the city like that. That is in no way "cock blocking traffic".

Now, if I was on the highway or interstate that is a different story. I never stay in the faster lanes unless I am passing.
      06-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #40
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was already going at least 5 MPH over the limit with the flow of traffic. There is no reason to tailgate and act like an ass on an normal road in the middle of the city like that. That is in no way "cock blocking traffic".

Now, if I was on the highway or interstate that is a different story. I never stay in the faster lanes unless I am passing.

The left lane is a "passing" lane, and also usually called the "fast lane"
Just because YOU decided that your 5mph over the limit is enough, doesn't mean that everyone else agrees with your, or that they too must abide by YOUR decision that 5mph over the limit is enough.
It's impolite on your part to assume that you get to make the speed limit decisions, and that anyone who wants to go faster than you is the bad guy and not you.
You should just move over. It's really that simple, and it keeps stress levels down, while allowing traffic to keep moving.

I've been in numerous situations where someone like you creates a looooong line of backup, because you, or those like you, decide that their speed is "just right". So, they sit in the passing lane, the next to them is going the same speed, and if a 3 laner, the cars in the right lane are bunched together going the limit. You create a traffic situation where no one can do anything, except follow behind you while all 2 or 3 lanes are going nearly the same speed. By you refusing to move over you create a backup of faster, or wanting to be faster, traffic. You then create frustration, so that when a spot does open on the right of you those behind you will go around you, but cars shouldn't pass on the right. Your refusal to be curtious results in frustration, greater traffic, and slower traffic all around. It's really simple to just move over and let those wanting to go faster, go faster.

It seems you don't think that you are the ass by holding up traffic behind you? Don't be so sure.
In many states laws have been passed to actually ticket people like you, that are holding up traffic, even though you are going the speed limit or just a bit above. If the officer see's that a car is holding up traffic, by staying in the left passing lane too long creating a back up, the officer can pull that car over and issue a citation or warning. Keeping traffic momentum moving is every drivers responsibility, thus doing the right thing is important. Just as excessive speed or reckless driving is hazardous to people in traffic, so are slow, traffice blocking drivers.
EASY: Move over.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #41
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The left lane is a "passing" lane, and also usually called the "fast lane"
Just because YOU decided that your 5mph over the limit is enough, doesn't mean that everyone else agrees with your, or that they too must abide by YOUR decision that 5mph over the limit is enough.
It's impolite on your part to assume that you get to make the speed limit decisions, and that anyone who wants to go faster than you is the bad guy and not you.
You should just move over. It's really that simple, and it keeps stress levels down, while allowing traffic to keep moving.

I've been in numerous situations where someone like you creates a looooong line of backup, because you, or those like you, decide that their speed is "just right". So, they sit in the passing lane, the next to them is going the same speed, and if a 3 laner, the cars in the right lane are bunched together going the limit. You create a traffic situation where no one can do anything, except follow behind you while all 2 or 3 lanes are going nearly the same speed. By you refusing to move over you create a backup of faster, or wanting to be faster, traffic. You then create frustration, so that when a spot does open on the right of you those behind you will go around you, but cars shouldn't pass on the right. Your refusal to be curtious results in frustration, greater traffic, and slower traffic all around. It's really simple to just move over and let those wanting to go faster, go faster.

It seems you don't think that you are the ass by holding up traffic behind you? Don't be so sure.
In many states laws have been passed to actually ticket people like you, that are holding up traffic, even though you are going the speed limit or just a bit above. If the officer see's that a car is holding up traffic, by staying in the left passing lane too long creating a back up, the officer can pull that car over and issue a citation or warning. Keeping traffic momentum moving is every drivers responsibility, thus doing the right thing is important. Just as excessive speed or reckless driving is hazardous to people in traffic, so are slow, traffice blocking drivers.
EASY: Move over.
Are you serious????

You are making the assumption that I am holding up traffic.

I did not mention whether or not the guy behind me passed me legally or illegally.

I did not mention that I was on a four-lane road which would put me in the left lane and at fault according to your thesis above. The only time I even mentioned the left lanes is when imported_mega decided to assume that I was on said roadway allowing me to move over in the right lane and allow them to pass.

I did not mention that there was even room to move over.

You, and imported_mega, are making these assumptions. Why must people assume the worst case scenarios to suit their needs and flame another?
      06-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #42
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Sense you drive a 1 I wont cut you off too bad when you do that to me

I have to deal with drivers that want to police everyone else every day here in georgia, it drives me crazy, peachtree city is the worst, I cut off 4-5 people every day in that awful town of soccer moms
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #43
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Are you serious????

You are making the assumption that I am holding up traffic.

I did not mention whether or not the guy behind me passed me legally or illegally.

I did not mention that I was on a four-lane road which would put me in the left lane and at fault according to your thesis above. The only time I even mentioned the left lanes is when imported_mega decided to assume that I was on said roadway allowing me to move over in the right lane and allow them to pass.

I did not mention that there was even room to move over.

You, and imported_mega, are making these assumptions. Why must people assume the worst case scenarios to suit their needs and flame another?
Yes, I am making assumptions. Why? Because you need to explain yourself better. Obviously, at least 2 of us, after reading YOUR writing, got the impression that you were holding up things.

And, still you haven't said you didn't hold up traffic, rather you spent your time on a diatribe about assumptions.
So, what is it? Did the guy pass you on the right shoulder?
If so, yeah, he's an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #44
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
I was already going at least 5 MPH over the limit with the flow of traffic. There is no reason to tailgate and act like an ass on an normal road in the middle of the city like that.
Unfortunately, in the greater DC area, I've observed two types of drivers that will tailgate even though the car ahead is moving with traffic. One is the guy who is either late, over-caffeinated or both; who is in a hurry and could care less about anyone blocking his path. But at least he is paying attention.

The other is the SUV driver, often a young (under 25) female who is blissfully unaware of her surroundings as she is either texting or applying make-up. Luckily, a few taps on the brakes will often get her to back off.

As there are so many BMWs, Audis and MBs in this area, these folks don't seem to single us out - they are equal-opporunity idiots who will even tailgate semis!
Tom
Appreciate 0