BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #23
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have the wishbones and vorshlag camber plates and I'm getting
-3.0 and -3.2. I also have 15mm spacers to push the wheel closer to the fender to increase track. The wishbone does not tilt the wheel enough to need a spacer with stock wheels and tires. Wider tires on stock wheels might require a spacer.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #24
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
if i'm reading this correctly:

the wishbone kit will put the top of the wheel closer to the strut, thus reducing clearance there, and increasing fender clearance. the same width wheel/tire should fit as without the wisbone kit, but will need slightly higher offsets or thin spacers to clear the strut (assuming minimal spacing from the tire to the strut with stock wishbones. they have no effect on the angle of the strut, just the wheel?

sound right?

has anyone combined the wishbones with camber plates? how much camber did you get? what wheel/tire/spacer combination did you use in the front?

front camber with this car seems like its weak point... my e46 M3 was set at -2.5 for the street and -3.5 for the track. -1 is unacceptable on the track for a car of this weight, with such front tire width restrictions.
Changing the lower wishbones will not move the inner wheel half closer to the strut housing at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 12:49 AM   #25
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Changing the lower wishbones will not move the inner wheel half closer to the strut housing at all.
Does the front lower wishbones on a 225 *40 tires require a spacer or can i just get them installed by themselves? Also thinking about taking the top alignment pins off. Not int in the dremmeling at present.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 01:11 AM   #26
Freno a mano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I slotted the holes by an extra 5mm (the maximum) which got me another 30' degree of negative camber. With removal of pins that gave me 30' now I'm at -1°. Not too bad for hard street use. I've to check it in tracks.

Now the external front tyre side works less and the understeering is disappeared
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #27
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
ok... what does it do? it doesn't change the angle of the strut itself, and it doesn't change the angle of the wheel in relation to the strut... what does it change?
Appreciate 0