BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

finally its here..

So finally after months waiting from all of the parts from the states, its here.. also with the new wheels!

mods to be installed:
iND cosmetic package
oem performance spoiler with *hyperblue accent
m5 scheme w/ hyperblue stripe carbon mirror cover (delayed a week)
ER Charge pipe
aFe air scoop
lux h8 v4
BBS Ri-D 19" 9x10 Custom Painted in Volk Racing HyperBlue
BBS Red caps

any advice on installing? especially the performance spoiler and ER charge pipe?
any tips ? thanks!

UPDATE:
So manage to install all of them, the BBS looks amazing,, really love how it looks,
ER charge pipe paired with afe scoop reduce the turbo lag and slightly improve the character of the exhaust notes.
LUX H8 V4 adjustable is just so much fun (very recommended) the adjustable feature is fun and i end up being so confuse of choosing either 5000/12000k but end up 5000k for a cleaner and oem look.
the last is performance spoiler, so i decided to wrap the area where the spoiler will be on to prevent any damage could possibly done to the paint, and combine sealant+3m tape as the medium to stick it...

so sad this morning i found out it wasnt strong enough, and also one side at the edge was detached already... will sort it out on monday..
Attached Images

Last edited by Jay-K; 08-04-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

looking forward to the pics...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Like the accented spoiler!

Enjoy! Take your time installing
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Go for the "permanent" solution for the spoiler; use the BMW betalink kit which you should be able to buy from your BMW dealer. Much better fit and definitely more secure compared to 3M double sided tape install. The only probable issue is you got to break the spoiler if you don't like it after some time or the next owner doesn't want it, that permanent glue it is!

That is another reason why you shouldn't install it all alone and make sure alignment etc. is all done perfectly. There are lots of DIY in 1addicts relevant section, mostly for 3M install choice. For the beta link the instructions come with the kit but available online as well, just google it.

Leave the ER charge pipe install for someone pro/who did it before and if possible be there to monitor, it is difficult to install good to avoid issues.

Looking fwd to installed pictures and here is two of mine with spoiler for you for inspirational purposes

Name:  407813_10151312016257346_1264991239_n.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  132.2 KB

Name:  564902_10151312012687346_1507611159_n.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  181.9 KB
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Go for the "permanent" solution for the spoiler; use the BMW betalink kit which you should be able to buy from your BMW dealer. Much better fit and definitely more secure compared to 3M double sided tape install. The only probable issue is you got to break the spoiler if you don't like it after some time or the next owner doesn't want it, that permanent glue it is!

That is another reason why you shouldn't install it all alone and make sure alignment etc. is all done perfectly. There are lots of DIY in 1addicts relevant section, mostly for 3M install choice. For the beta link the instructions come with the kit but available online as well, just google it.

Attachment 894942

Attachment 894943
Respectfully, strongly disagree. Go with the 3M. Super easy to install if you take your time. Easy to get it aligned and rock solid. Thing is not going anywhere. You screw up with betalink, time to repaint the trunk. Or if someone decides to try to steal your spoiler, time to repaint. BMW uses tape for a reason!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

3m double sided tape worked well for me. Sprayed a very light film of soapy water on trunk to allow positioning.

Glue seems a bit extreme.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Respectfully, strongly disagree. Go with the 3M. Super easy to install if you take your time. Easy to get it aligned and rock solid. Thing is not going anywhere. You screw up with betalink, time to repaint the trunk. Or if someone decides to try to steal your spoiler, time to repaint. BMW uses tape for a reason!
About the dangers you are right, I also said the same things in my post but saying that BMW uses tape for a reason is a bit misleading since BMW recommends beta link for the installation of its own performance spoiler not the tape! I would prefer it to be as solid as possible and I don't think that 3M is the stronger solution, it is just a simpler, convenient solution. Thought and searched a lot about this and finally decided that since I was never sure enough to go with 3M, better to follow strong recommendations of IND guys (questioned them particularly on this) as well as BMW. I reach top speed of this car often so prefer not to risk nothing; also if someone tries to steal the spoiler using a dental floss etc. they may manage to take it pretty quickly with the 3M but will instantly understand that it is not possible with the beta link.

In similar threads there has never been a consensus on this so it is normal that points of view differ, but I think OP may take his own decision after considering all these points.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 08-01-2013 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Hogiebear
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

+1 on the betalink. You have enough time to ensure the spoiler is in the correct position before it drys and once it does the fit is solid. You won't have any of the movement mentioned in some of the posts using 3M.
Also if done correctly you won't have any water getting in under the spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

I think i'll go with the 3M tape, but still not sure..
what could go wrong by going w/ 3M double side tape
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
I think i'll go with the 3M tape, but still not sure..
what could go wrong by going w/ 3M double side tape
It can fly off, like some of the M3 owners (who chose 3M tape over betalink) have discovered. Even if one applies the tape properly, it'll never be as strong as betalink. The spoiler does have an aerodynamic effect especially at high speeds, as per email from BMW:

"Thank you for your further email dated July 17, 2012.

The BMW M Performance extended lip spoiler is a larger version of the small boot edge spoiler already fitted to your vehicle. Its purpose is to essentially create an obstacle to slow the over-body airflow and reduce any aerodynamic lift caused by this. Slowing the airflow above the vehicle with spoilers and other disruptive devices also increases the effect of underbody elements such as the front mounted splitter flaps.

There is a slight penalty for fitting this device in the form of an increase in parasitic drag, caused by the turbulent airflow the spoiler creates. This drag effect is, however, offset by the decrease in drag provided by the splitter flaps."

3M tape will also not be as effective in the long term as betalink considering the heat and humidity in Indonesia.

That said, double-sided tape is used for the standard spoiler lip as the standard spoiler lip is a lot smaller and sits on top of the bootlid, therefore, has less aerodynamics to contend with compared with the performance spoiler, which is not only larger but also sits further off the edge of the bootlid - resulting in a higher leverage force being exerted on the adhesive contact between the spoiler and the bootlid by the wind.

That said, it's down to your priorities:
Convenience and relatively decent integrity - 3M tape
Long term maximum safety - Betalink

Last edited by mlhj83; 08-02-2013 at 01:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #11
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
Quote:

Leave the ER charge pipe install for someone pro/who did it before and if possible be there to monitor, it is difficult to install good to avoid issues.

Looking fwd to installed pictures and here is two of mine with spoiler for you for inspirational purposes

Attachment 894942

Attachment 894943
OH MY SACK !That boot spoiler looks flippen sick!

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Any tips with betalink? Not sure if my dealer here have them ready :s
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

BMW Part Number: 82699408866 (82-69-9-408-866)

The product expires by time and may not be at their stocks or the ones they have may be expired (exactly what happened here when I needed one). Naturally it is flammable category product and has to pass certain customs procedures. I had to wait about 2-3 weeks before new one arrived. So, better contact your dealer and see what they say.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 08-02-2013 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
BMW Part Number: 82699408866 (82-69-9-408-866)

The product expires by time and may not be at their stocks or the ones they have may be expired (exactly what happened here when I needed one). Naturally it is flammable category product and has to pass certain customs procedures. I had to wait about 2-3 weeks before new one arrived. So, better contact your dealer and see what they say.
Thanks for the info man!, i'll hand my car to a friend, he always knows what he's doing .. oh well
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
Greg FEightytwo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW GT4 M4 and X5M

I had 3m tape took the spoiler off.. I just got a slek front lip and did double side tape.. Its seperating with the pressure .. I'll be doing betalink Wed for a better fit..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

I wouldnt use 3m on a front spoiler. Rear deck spoiler is fine with 3m. Its 100% about the quality of installation. Mine doesnt lift at all with pressure. Secure at high speeds. Hard to tell on the pic but it looks like there is a gap between pieces of tape. Has to be tape on all surfaces.

Tape pro: easy to fix if u screw up. Absolutely secure if done correctly.

Tape cons: not permanent ? Is that a con?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

I really consider about doing 3M, some said a member had them fall off, but it was the M3 tail, I think it's more straight up, so it holds down more pressure, where our is more laid back I think, did some research already and yet debate keeps going on..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs135is View Post
I had 3m tape took the spoiler off.. I just got a slek front lip and did double side tape.. Its seperating with the pressure .. I'll be doing betalink Wed for a better fit..
That's one hell of a gap
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Weird, my OEM spoiler was attached with betalink and not 3M. If you prep the surface correctly, use one continuos piece of 3M tape on the leading edge, tape down the spoiler, and let the 3M tape set for 24 hours, you won't have any problems.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
Greg FEightytwo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW GT4 M4 and X5M

I did beta link today. Sits flush and looks perfect like the rear spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #21
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Can't wait to see it completed!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #22
yemski
Lieutenant