BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 G05

Best price for OEM brakes ???

Hey guys Im looking to buy rear and front brakes for my 1M.

I need the whole kit including rotors, pads and the rear sensor. (Im assuming there is no front sensor?)

What sites offer best prices?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep

I found this on ebay, that's the best price i could find, how legit is it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-BM...0AAOSw3sJaht1g
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:39 PM   #3
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I purchased from FCP Euro. Not the lowest price, but if you drive a lot or track your car, you should be able to take advantage of their free lifetime replacement in a reasonable amount of time and you'll come out ahead.

I don't drive a lot and don't track my car, so maybe not the best decision for me, but the price difference was close enough that I figured why not. I also went for OE pads and rotors and OE or OEM for everything else.

Here's my parts list (July 2018 pricing):

Item Qty Total
BMW Brake Disc - Genuine BMW 34112283801 1 $262.02
BMW Brake Disc - Genuine BMW 34112283802 1 $262.02
BMW Brake Disc - Genuine BMW 34212283803 1 $252.85
BMW Brake Disc - Genuine BMW 34212283804 1 $252.85

BMW Brake Pad Set - Genuine BMW 34112283865 1 $142.66
BMW Brake Pad Set - Genuine BMW 34212284685 1 $128.97

BMW Brake Disc Set Screw - Genuine BMW 34111123072 4 $3.84
BMW Brake Disc Set Screw - Genuine BMW 34211161806 4 $5.36

BMW Brake Pad Wear Sensor - Bowa 34352283335 1 $12.68
BMW Brake Pad Wear Sensor - Bowa 34356789445 1 $13.39

Brake Anti-Squeal Paste - ATE 700015 1 $3.60

BMW Anti Rattle Clip Front - ATE 34112283363 2 $25.98
BMW Anti Rattle Clip Rear - Genuine BMW 34212282198 2 $36.12

Shipping 1 $9.99

Total $1,412.33

Note: the anti-rattle clips I received were silver, not black like the original ones. If that bothers you, call whatever company you're going to order from to see if they have black ones, or be prepared to paint them.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      03-12-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee0007 View Post
I found this on ebay, that's the best price i could find, how legit is it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-BM...0AAOSw3sJaht1g
Looks like only the front pads and rotors based on the rotor part numbers? If so, that seems expensive. You also might want to replace the anti-rattle clips (mine were in good shape and probably didn't really need it) and you should replace the set screws and make sure you have some good anti-squeal paste.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:46 PM   #5
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im assuming there is no front sensor?
There's one front sensor and one rear sensor.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      03-13-2019, 12:02 AM   #6
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What sites offer best prices?
Not sure for Canada, but for the U.S., I usually shop these vendors for OE parts:
  • My local dealer(s) (usually more expensive)
  • getBMWparts.com (i.e BMW of Silver Spring, formerly Tischer BMW) (usually less expensive)
  • ECS Tuning (usually less expensive)
  • Bimmerworld (usually more expensive)
  • Turner Motorsport (usually more expensive)
  • FCP Euro (usually mid-price, lifetime replacement)
  • Bavarian Autosport (usually less expensive)
There are other great vendors, especially for aftermarket parts, in the vendor classifieds section. The list above is my go-to for factory BMW stuff.

I use realOEM to find and confirm part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:26 AM   #7
M_Thrizzle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VO 1M; E46 ///M3

Check out RMEuropean.com too
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      03-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #8
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
Not sure for Canada, but for the U.S., I usually shop these vendors for OE parts:
  • getBMWparts.com (i.e BMW of Silver Spring, formerly Tischer BMW) (usually less expensive)
There are other great vendors, especially for aftermarket parts, in the vendor classifieds section. The list above is my go-to for factory BMW stuff.

I checked out https://www.getbmwparts.com, and the rotor is $122. is this OEM??

Never mind , I'm small letters it's referring to 135i, even tho it's under the "Bmw 1m category"

I guess they don't carry 1m brakes
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

ECS sells nice stainless steel set screws that seem somewhat less likely to seize in the hub, although they are expensive for what they are.
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      03-13-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
ECS sells nice stainless steel set screws that seem somewhat less likely to seize in the hub, although they are expensive for what they are.
Good tip. I had to borrow a manual impact driver to get the original set screws out. Everything went fine, but if you don't have an impact driver and/or don't mind spending an extra $24 for the stainless steel set screws (they're $4 each vs $1 each x 8), it makes sense.

Most important thing is to not round out the hex heads if the screws are seized. Find a manual or power impact driver or your straightforward DIY project could quickly get a little more complicated.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Quote:

I checked out https://www.getbmwparts.com, and the rotor is $122. is this OEM??

Never mind , I'm small letters it's referring to 135i, even tho it's under the "Bmw 1m category"

I guess they don't carry 1m brakes
I think there is confusion. OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer. That means that part is made by any company that makes original equipment for your brand. So for example if Acme made a part for bmw 30 years ago. They are an OEM. ATE, Textar, Pagid,, Zimmerman etc are all OEM but not what came with your car. OE. Is original equipment. That means the original equipment. BMW parts are Original Equipment. Where the semantics cause confusion is for example if you know the rotors are the exact same as OE. You can also say they are OE without the brand. Conversely if you say OEM you can get a part that was made by a manufacturer that makes parts, or has made parts in the past, for BMW but might not be the right compound, metal composition for your specific car. So are you looking for OE original Equipment or OEM a decent part made by any manufacturer that has ever made parts for BMW?

I know the rotors for my ZHP came from Zimmerman the front pads were Pagid and rear Textar as an example. So I buy OEM Zimmerman rotors that are almost OE BMW brand.

If you don't drive a lot just get the best possible deal on BMW OE. If I were to go OEM I would go Zimmerman rotors unless someone here is certain they are made by someone else. Then I would get those. For OEM I likenTextar they have good cold bite but can be slightly noisier than Pagid. FCP seems very good but I haven't used them. Finally if you get the wrong rotor and wrong pad combination, you can end up with less cold bite which I prefer. Which is why I lean to OE or finding the OE equivalent OEM part. I hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      03-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #12
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I think there is confusion. OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer. That means that part is made by any company that makes original equipment for your brand. So for example if Acme made a part for bmw 30 years ago. They are an OEM. ATE, Textar, Pagid,, Zimmerman etc are all OEM but not what came with your car. OE. Is original equipment. That means the original equipment. BMW parts are Original Equipment. Where the semantics cause confusion is for example if you know the rotors are the exact same as OE. You can also say they are OE without the brand. Conversely if you say OEM you can get a part that was made by a manufacturer that makes parts, or has made parts in the past, for BMW but might not be the right compound, metal composition for your specific car. So are you looking for OE original Equipment or OEM a decent part made by any manufacturer that has ever made parts for BMW?

I know the rotors for my ZHP came from Zimmerman the front pads were Pagid and rear Textar as an example. So I buy OEM Zimmerman rotors that are almost OE BMW brand.

If you don't drive a lot just get the best possible deal on BMW OE. If I were to go OEM I would go Zimmerman rotors unless someone here is certain they are made by someone else. Then I would get those. For OEM I likenTextar they have good cold bite but can be slightly noisier than Pagid. FCP seems very good but I haven't used them. Finally if you get the wrong rotor and wrong pad combination, you can end up with less cold bite which I prefer. Which is why I lean to OE or finding the OE equivalent OEM part. I hope that makes sense.
Would these parts be considered OE?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...112283801ktfr3
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #13
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #14
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Quote:

This gentleman has it right; stay with one of these companies. Note Bav Auto is now out of business.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

Would these parts be considered OE?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...112283801ktfr3
Yes. That is original equipment OE.

They are OEM because they are also from an original equipment manufacturer but OE > OEM.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I use:

www.oembimmerparts.com

www.fcp.com

over here in Germany... I use: www.autodoc.de who has smoking deals on OE parts. Not sure about shipping to the US but for me living in DE... they constantly beat most places online.

Dack
Appreciate 2