BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Battery registration inquiry

What app did you guys use to register your new battery?

I recently bought the Carly OBD2 scanner, and then learned it was no longer life time purchase. So I said f*ck it, I'm not going to give them more money.

So I bought a Vgate and bimmercode app. Well surprise, surprise. The bimmercode doesn't actually register batteries only bimmerlink does and it doesn't seem to support our cars. Not to mention they no longer support vgate OBD2 scanners full stop.

So my question is, what do you guys use? And/or recommend?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

You can register with the Foxwell tool but only registration - no coding. It's not worth the money for just battery registration as it is a pretty good code scanner.

The other less expensive way is BMW Standard Tools / INPA. Only need a good cable (i'd recommend Bimmergeeks) and some patience to get the software (free link on Bimmergeeks site) installed.
      08-31-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
You can register with the Foxwell tool but only registration - no coding. It's not worth the money for just battery registration as it is a pretty good code scanner.

The other less expensive way is BMW Standard Tools / INPA. Only need a good cable (i'd recommend Bimmergeeks) and some patience to get the software (free link on Bimmergeeks site) installed.
Thanks for the reply gjm

Let me ask you though,

I found the link on bimmergeeks, and I downloaded this app called mega and to open the "standard tools" file, but I'm just wondering, can I even use it from my iPhone?

Do I need a laptop to use the standard tools software?

I assume the cable that's used is probably to a USB for a computer, and if so are apple/Mac compatible or do I need to get a computer with windows to use the program?

Pleased to hear,

Makis
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
Thanks for the reply gjm

Let me ask you though,

I found the link on bimmergeeks, and I downloaded this app called mega and to open the "standard tools" file, but I'm just wondering, can I even use it from my iPhone?

I assume the cable that's used is probably to a USB for a computer, and if so are apple/Mac compatible or do I need to get a computer with windows to use the program?

Pleased to hear,

Makis

Std Tools is for laptop and I think PC only. It might work on a Mac but I'm really not sure.

The cable is OBD to USB and the Bimmergeeks cables are a bit more money than others but their failure rate is about nil.

You need to download the Std Tools package and then the E89 (yes 89) daten file from Mega also. That is a big file and is a slow download.

There is a learning curve for std tools but to use it for just battery registration isn't too hard. Lots of tutorials on how to do it. If you're trying to code a different Ah or type (AGM v flooded cell) that is a bit more involved.

Are you sure you can't register with bimmercode? I suggest you move this thread to the General discussion 1er as it may be missing some views and comments in here.
      09-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #5
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply gjm

Let me ask you though,

Pleased to hear,

Makis

Std Tools is for laptop and I think PC only. It might work on a Mac but I'm really not sure.

The cable is OBD to USB and the Bimmergeeks cables are a bit more money than others but their failure rate is about nil.

You need to download the Std Tools package and then the E89 (yes 89) daten file from Mega also. That is a big file and is a slow download.

There is a learning curve for std tools but to use it for just battery registration isn't too hard. Lots of tutorials on how to do it. If you're trying to code a different Ah or type (AGM v flooded cell) that is a bit more involved.

Are you sure you can't register with bimmercode? I suggest you move this thread to the General discussion 1er as it may be missing some views and comments in here.
Thanks for the quick reply mate,

How do I move this thread

I'll be honest I didn't think it was that big of a deal when changing the battery.

I'm starting to think maybe it would just be easier to pay for Carly
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply mate,

How do I move this thread

I'll be honest I didn't think it was that big of a deal when changing the battery.

I'm starting to think maybe it would just be easier to pay for Carly

I don't know how to move it. The moderator's certainly can and maybe the person who started it can. When you figure out how to move the thread maybe the E90 Coding sub-forum is best. Our cars and E90 coding are the same.

This thread is about a Bimmer Geeks Pro Tool, aCarly phone app substitute.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525937

Yep - battery changes are a bit more involved than an older simpler car. Are you changing type (AGM <> flooded cell) or the Ah?
      09-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
Ross4ze
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #8
Joelkswagen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 135i FBO

JB4 has a setting "Reset Battery adaptations". Would this be the same thing? I think the battery in my car wasn't registered by previous owner because the date and time won't save on the dash. Tried the JB4 thing and i thought it saved for a bit, but then after a few days the date and time was lost again.

Would registering the battery solve this problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #9
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelkswagen View Post
JB4 has a setting "Reset Battery adaptations". Would this be the same thing? I think the battery in my car wasn't registered by previous owner because the date and time won't save on the dash. Tried the JB4 thing and i thought it saved for a bit, but then after a few days the date and time was lost again.

Would registering the battery solve this problem?
no. sounds like excessive discharge of the battery when the car is off...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

If you do not register the battery, tell the car's computer you put in a new battery, it continues to think it is charging an old battery of the size and type that used to be there. As I understand it, old batteries require more charging than new batteries. I have no idea if that is higher voltage, or lower voltage for longer, or what. But charging a new battery like it is an old one has been reported to shorten it's life.

BMWs also do a minor hybrid type thing by charging during braking. The purposely do not fully charge the battery so there is some headroom to goose up the charging when you brake. That helps slow down the car and also uses a little of the kinetic energy of the car to charge the battery. If the car doesn't know what size, type and/or age of battery it is charging, it may also mess up that process.

I agree that issues with date/time disappearing seem unrelated to battery registration. I guess it could be related if the lack of registration caused the car to deliberately undercharge the battery excessively. I am not sure exactly how that would happen. Installation of a really big old battery?