BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Dealer service in Vegas sucks. My first and last BMW

Bought my 2010 128 in 2014 with only 10K on the ticker from CarMax. After seeing the complexity of the convertible top mechanism, I decided to spend $2K for a CarMax5/50 extended warranty which I thought was a bargain at $2K. Within 2 months I was in the Henderson BMW shop because of CELs and the radio stopped working. It took them 3 different visits of a week duration before they finally got it fixed and at no time did they give me a loaner. So I decided I would only deal with the other local dealership, Las Vegas BMW, because of Henderson's incompetence. I averaged 1 warranty repair a year and could not get a loaner from that dealership either because they were "all booked up". Fortunately, my extended warranty pays for a rental if the car is in the shop for over 2 days. So my warranty is about to expire and I took it in for a final check. They came up with $5K in repairs including motor mounts, suspension, and several other odds and ends! All repairs and none of it was routine maintenance. All this for a car that only has only 50K on the ticker! They said it would take 2 weeks to get the parts but I could not drive the car because it was in pieces. Again they had no loaner but I told them I would rent a car for a week (the max allowed by the warranty) but would need a loaner. The week was up yesterday and again no loaner despite a week notice! Others in my family have a Mercedes and an Audi and their local dealers will give them a loaner for an oil change if they give the dealer a week notice.
I was seriously considering getting a CPO 2 series in a year or so to replace my 128 but given the extensive issues I've had, expensive routine maintenance (the dealer typically charges about 1/3 more than Audi or Mercedes for the same service), and lack of customer service - I'm done
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2707.00
      01-11-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

There are others here who might have more experience, but this sounds like typical dealer incompetence and them possibly taking advantage of the warranty you have, knowing they’ll get a nice pay day.

I’d highly recommend finding a good independent shop to work on your car. My 128i has never been to the dealer since I’ve owned it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Replacing shocks and motor mounts at 50k? Both these can last way longer, especially the mounts. My motor/trans ones were perfectly fine when I replaced them at 111k mi.

Shocks COULD need replacing if they've had a rough life, but that'd be apparent in how it drives.

Sounds like they're just finessing cash out of you/your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #4
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
For maintenance take it to Southwest Bimmers. Great shop w/ fair prices. Former bmw tech who started his own shop.

Both BMW dealers in Vegas are owned by the same people I think. It doesn't surprise me.

Typically unless you buy the car from the dealer you won't get a loaner UNLESS they think you might be looking to buy one in the future...
      01-11-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Typically unless you buy the car from the dealer you won't get a loaner UNLESS they think you might be looking to buy one in the future...
I bought mine from a Benz dealer. Have the warranty stuff done at BMW. We have 2 in MN, I've been to both. Both gave me a loaner without question.
One is Penske owned and the other is Carousel owned.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
There are others here who might have more experience, but this sounds like typical dealer incompetence and them possibly taking advantage of the warranty you have, knowing they’ll get a nice pay day.

I’d highly recommend finding a good independent shop to work on your car. My 128i has never been to the dealer since I’ve owned it.
And the bolded part of your statement is incorrect. While I haven't worked in the auto repair industry, I've been personally involved on a deeper level because a friend had his own shop. So I saw all the inner workings of what happens day to day. Aftermarket warranty companies are typically a pain in the ass to deal with from the shop side. They don't want to pay for much and require all sorts of verifications before paying on jobs.

It's so bad my friend refuses to accept aftermarket warranties for any jobs he does. He only worked with me on my aftermarket warranty because we're friends. Other shops have the same mentality. There are some good aftermarket warranty companies out there but those are few and far between.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #7
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I get routine maintenance done at indy shops

but I get any potential warranty work done at the dealer. I took the car into the CarMax shop for my early issues and they gave up almost instantly and towed it to Henderson BMW. After "fixing" it several times unsuccessfully, they replaced the ECU.
Certainly, Las Vegas BMW smelled a payday and is milking it. Their arrogance regarding a loaner when others in my family get one easily at other brand dealers just pisses me off. BMW Las Vegas is getting big bucks from my repair, had a week to arrange a loaner, and all I get is a shoulder shrug
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

The Mystery Deepens!

Interestingly, all of these people who know of a BMW dealer who gives good service refuse to divulge their names!

None of the BMW dealers are cheap, and I doubt any go out of their way for the befuddled owner trying to get his car repaired. All of them try to squeeze every dime out of their customers, and any service or attention to the customer's car is usually not free. If they could, they charge you just to look at it or give a quote for repairs.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #9
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I guess I'm lucky in that I haven't had to have much warranty work done on previous BMW's. But when I did, Ford treated me better than BMW. Granted the loaner car sucked, but it was 2004 and what could they give me to compare to the newly modified Terminator I was leaving with them.

Never dealt with Chevy, but none of the Corvettes I have owned ever required me to take them in despite me beating the crap out of them.
      01-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #10
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

I brought my 135i from private garage on basis the main dealership would warrant the car. Handed it over to BMW two weeks after purchase and they fixed over £3000 in issues including an oil leak for £50.00's, no issues or qualms. If you know what your doing these cars can be brought as a good investment. Cancelled the extended warranty a month later and got the turbo insured on it's own for much cheaper.

I've got nothing but praise.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #11
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Call a salesman and ask him about a trade on a car in stock. Ask him to appraise yours which is in the shop. Get some numbers, then when it is ready walk in, show him the receipt for the rental and tell him his service advisor killed the deal.
      01-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #12
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHoo View Post
I was seriously considering getting a CPO 2 series in a year or so to replace my 128 but given the extensive issues I've had, expensive routine maintenance (the dealer typically charges about 1/3 more than Audi or Mercedes for the same service), and lack of customer service - I'm done
Good luck and good riddance.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #13
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

With those social skills, you obviously work for BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
Good luck and good riddance.
Appreciate 0